Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is not the only company where announcements are made…and then forgotten. Volvo promised that in 2022 nobody would ever die in a Volvo….

Ps. I thought that I better research that..turns out they said it would be 2020 !

I decided to do a quick Google search on Volvo’s claim and this article came up. Apparently they recorded only 1 fatality in 2020. Not sure if there’s any truth to this.

Reactions: impastu
Tesla is not the only company where announcements are made…and then forgotten. Volvo promised that in 2022 nobody would ever die in a Volvo….

Ps. I thought that I better research that..turns out they said it would be 2020 !
Dont care about Volvo. Most care about what Elon promises they will get for $12k. Truth in advertising...

Can you find the announcement?

I thought it was "Our mission is that by 2020 no one will be killed or seriously injured in a Volvo"

It was their Vision 2020 where it was a goal, and not a promise.

It's claimed that the CEO of Volvo said it was a significant challenge, but that they couldn't set the goal anywhere else. That you can't set a "We only want to kill 50 people in a Volvo by 2020".

Last edited:

I remember Volvo also did a long roadtrip autonomously - which haters keep reminding us Elon promised but didn't do. I'll take the progress made on NOA/FSD Beta any day over doing a useful marketing gimmick.

Actually multiple OEMs have shown long roadtrips by AVs. All completely hacked - because noone else obviously could repeat it.

Anyway, here is the Volvo driverless car that started selling in ... 2017 ;)

Not a tweet but it looks like safety greater than the average human is still on schedule for this year.
As most of us know, numbers can be spun any way you want to support the story you want to tell.

He doesnt need to wait until later in the year. He can release a set of numbers NOW that most likely would show total # of miles TEsla's have covered when on AP/FSD accompanied by PROVEN rates of accidents when the car was on AP/FSD. And compare/contrast that to total number of accidents teslas have been in when NOT on AP/FSD. As we know, the latter is going to be MUCH higher, thus most people who lack critical thinking skills will go "wow. That FSD sure is something!"

I mean, this IS Elon we are talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catbiscuits

I guess the key word here is "IN" a Volvo. One could have killed me when the parking brake failed on a hill in San Francisco and rolled across the yard and hit me. The neighbor said that was actually TWICE is rolled away.

Reactions: Bouba
I like how almost EVERY FSD update is "this is it!" or "this is the turning point!" or some other major revelation.

Than within 2 weeks? Someone records evidence of the updated FSD running into a pole or colliding into a curb in broad daylight.
Within 2 weeks? I'd say two months--only becuase the new FSD updates are seem to be taking 30-60 days now. 10.11 promised mid-March, delivered for most mid-April. 10.12 was a no show last week. i suspect most wont see before the end of the month.

Reactions: 2101Guy
As most of us know, numbers can be spun any way you want to support the story you want to tell.

He doesnt need to wait until later in the year. He can release a set of numbers NOW that most likely would show total # of miles TEsla's have covered when on AP/FSD accompanied by PROVEN rates of accidents when the car was on AP/FSD. And compare/contrast that to total number of accidents teslas have been in when NOT on AP/FSD. As we know, the latter is going to be MUCH higher, thus most people who lack critical thinking skills will go "wow. That FSD sure is something!"

I mean, this IS Elon we are talking about.
And someone who probably hasn't driven in the eastern part of the country where some of the road layouts date back a few hundred years and intersections are a mess.

Reactions: 2101Guy