Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simplest is level 3 on low speed divided freeway. When will Elon decide it is worth the risk? I know Elon is a risk taker.
This seems like a terrible bet, because as far as I can tell, as long as true Level 4/5 from any manufacturer is many years away, as it currently appears to be, exposing oneself to the liability of marginal-benefit Level 3 is just a recipe for disaster, and it is minimal benefit in terms of driving sales and revenue when compared to what is already available. FSD City Streets is not why most people buy cars, since it is not helpful really in any way at all. Would people really pay that much more for Traffic Jam Assist (which Tesla arguably already does (poorly), albeit you must pay attention)?

May as well let Mercedes take the plunge and enjoy the accidents and the publicity that comes with them. And Telsa can stick with their liability-free viral feature, possibly for many years, without loss of competitive positioning.

Anyway it’s not going to make or break Tesla. It’s all about selling cars at high margin to as many people as possible and growing other parts of their business. People are fine driving themselves, and it will likely remain that way for many years to come.

The key opportunity which could help build the brand and help it stand out is actually making cars safer by including active safety features which kick in and are effective, when the driver makes a mistake. Much more money to be made there for the time being. Could you imagine Teslas never getting into at-fault accidents? Tough problem though!

I still see tons of accidents with Telsas that are hard to explain. Low-hanging fruit, this sort of thing should be nearly impossible with an excellent system, especially when AP and FSD are disabled; just saw this the other day on my way to work (probably a total loss for both vehicles, certainly greater than $40k damage in total - it’s like free money for the taking ;)):

D1FAEBBB-BB40-4860-812B-41A7413767E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Simplest is level 3 on low speed divided freeway. When will Elon decide it is worth the risk? I know Elon is a risk taker.
10x better than humans. Its there in the "secret" plan.

There is simply no reason why Tesla should take on a lot of risk for almost no reward.

Zach will ask a simple question - how much is the expected payout and how much more money will we get.

I love the idea of enabling slow speed AP - just to watch the reaction.
Can you image the complaints? - the level of bitching because the upper limit for AP was 80mph was bad enough, it would explode if hands free had a highway 40kph limit :D
It wouldn't be AP, which is a driver assist system, it would be called Fuller Self-Driving (I feel like this would fit with Elon's sense of humor). Robotaxis will be Fullest Self-Driving. Different products under the FSD brand.

10x better than humans. Its there in the "secret" plan.

There is simply no reason why Tesla should take on a lot of risk for almost no reward.

Zach will ask a simple question - how much is the expected payout and how much more money will we get.
The only reason would be bragging rights, and we all know that Elon is just a bit competitive...

The other reason to add low speed level 3 FSD would be as a carrot to placate people complaining that they haven't gotten anything. It might also encourage investors.

It wouldn't be AP, which is a driver assist system, it would be called Fuller Self-Driving (I feel like this would fit with Elon's sense of humor). Robotaxis will be Fullest Self-Driving. Different products under the FSD brand.
FSDMo to avoid the vaguely incorrect sounding fuller (which is actually correct)?

And we could have FSDAF for robotaxis.

• Love
Reactions: Daniel in SD
The only reason would be bragging rights, and we all know that Elon is just a bit competitive...
When it comes to finances of Tesla, Elon has had many near-death experiences and is very careful.

The other reason to add low speed level 3 FSD would be as a carrot to placate people complaining that they haven't gotten anything. It might also encourage investors.
FSD Beta testing is to placate. low speed highway driving (what an irony!) isn't placating anyone. Investors are more likely to think of the downside risk of all the crashes and lawsuits than any upside because of better take rate.

When it comes to finances of Tesla, Elon has had many near-death experiences and is very careful.

FSD Beta testing is to placate. low speed highway driving (what an irony!) isn't placating anyone. Investors are more likely to think of the downside risk of all the crashes and lawsuits than any upside because of better take rate.
but it is giving some people fodder to say "See? See? Mercedes did it before Tesla! They're so much better and Tesla sucks!"

Reactions: Phlier

There is far greater risk of crashes with FSD Beta than there is with low speed highway driving. In fact, FSD Beta would have gotten into a lot of crashes already if not for the vigilance of the driver. It's why FSD Beta has stricter driver monitoring. The risk of a crash going 20 mph in stop and go traffic on the highway is minimal.

There is far greater risk of crashes with FSD Beta than there is with low speed highway driving. In fact, FSD Beta would have gotten into a lot of crashes already if not for the vigilance of the driver. It's why FSD Beta has stricter driver monitoring. The risk of a crash going 20 mph in stop and go traffic on the highway is minimal.
Yes - thats why FSD Beta is not "level 3".

Question is one of liability - any crash where the OEM takes responsibility is going to court and win millions in awards. Add to that all the PR nightmare. Just not worth it.

ps : When you tell people they are liable, they will be more careful. Once you say Tesla is liable, they won't pay attention, and are more likely to get into an accident for the same software version.

I think the current disengagement rates (according to crowds sourced numbers) is about 1 in 100 miles for highway driving. Needs to be 1 in 100k miles to make it safe enough for Tesla to offer level 3.

Reactions: sleepydoc
so when FSD reaches the "10x safer than human" benchmark, do we think that is when Elon will say "tesla will be liable for any accidents caused by FSD"? I mean, at that point, why wouldnt he since it will be 10x safer? Show and prove...

so when FSD reaches the "10x safer than human" benchmark, do we think that is when Elon will say "tesla will be liable for any accidents caused by FSD"? I mean, at that point, why wouldnt he since it will be 10x safer? Show and prove...
Tesla is going to make a dedicated robotaxi model in 2024 so unless Elon's new hardcore legal team performs a miracle they're going to have to take liability.
@EVNow is just spreading FUD until Tesla catches up with Mercedes. :p