Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simplest is level 3 on low speed divided freeway. When will Elon decide it is worth the risk? I know Elon is a risk taker.
Yeah - Mercedes is supposedly coming out with that sometime soon. Driving around town is orders of magnitude harder. If Tesla put all the restrictions on it that Mercedes did I think they're ready now, as well.
"Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway"

Reactions: Yelobird
What are you taking about? Where is your evidence that I am wrong? What lies am I believing?

I literally talk to republicans every day that think EVs are dumb and gas cars are better. I used to watch conservative talk shows like Rush Limbaugh that ridiculed EVs every day. Trump ridiculed EVs and renewable energy like solar and wind at every MAGA rally. In fact, go to a MAGA rally and you will not find a single supporter of EVs. GOP in Congress want to increase production of fossil fuels and impose taxes on EVs. And virtually every GOP in Congress rejects that climate change is even real. Guys like Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and others openly deny climate change. The idea that Republicans are champions of EVs and renewable energy is laughable. You are rewriting history if you believe that. The crazy thing is that Elon declares himself a Republican and I guess Tesla fans now believe Republicans support the Tesla Mission. LOL. Sorry but the GOP today is not Tesla's ally in the mission to fight climate change with EVs and renewable energy. GOP only likes Elon because he is attacking the Far Left. Enemy of my enemy is my friend. But the GOP do not share Elon's green ideology.

The politicians in both parties are more extreme than the average citizen. That's the problem. Why do you think Elon is disenchanted with the left? Because people like Bernie and Elizabeth like to bash him for being a tax dodger, freeloader, too rich, etc. And Biden, who champions environmental issues, and who should be praising Tesla for leading the way, blatantly snubs Tesla multiple times while brown-nosing GM who aren't doing much of anything.

Look at any comment thread on twitter replying to Musk and you will see the divisiveness and hate coming from lefties. Despite the ideals of the democratic party being one of inclusion, MANY people don't live up to it. The amount of venom is disgusting. Just like many conservatives demonstrate the same vitriol and don't live up to their Christian values. But there are plenty of people from both parties who are decent. Being empathetic is not owned by a particular party.

I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal and don't think it's particularly healthy for anyone to think one party is great and the other is evil. I don't disagree with anything you've said regarding certain Republicans' stance on climate change and EVs. I consider it one of the most important issues of our time and am quite dismayed it's such a political hot potato. BUT... I actually think that Musk is going to challenge Republican politicians to reconsider their stance on EVs since Tesla is going to have some serious positive economic impact in a very red state in a very short amount of time.

I also know a ton of Republican Tesla owners. Being green might not be a priority, but they will get one because it makes financial sense. And they are fun to drive.

-edit-
I read your followup post after submitting this. 👍

I wish Elon the best with converting the GOP to his EV cause but I am skeptical.
There are two things that I typically refuse to discuss: 1. Politics 2. Religion, but I'm going to make one single exception with this post.

Please don't be skeptical.

I am, quite literally, a gun toting conservative. I have had a concealed firearms permit for longer than most of you guys have been alive. :) I'm very avid in the shooting sports, and am very conservative albeit anti-MAGA.

I hate to even admit that, as immediately some of you guys are going to lose whatever modicum of respect you may have had for me. Sad sign of the times when a guy can't even admit his party affiliation without being pre-judged.

But more and more of us conservatives are seeing the light. Not only have I bought my last ICE vehicle, but I've also switched over all of our small-engine appliances to electric. We're also going to be doing home solar/powerwalls, too.

I'm honestly not surprised that so many people have very negative attitudes toward conservatives, though, as the press has been doing such a good job of twisting stuff around to serve the opposing agenda that Russia's propaganda services would be proud.

I'm not alone in my views regarding the environment, either; many conservatives feel as I do. That probably surprises a lot of you guys, but again... people tend to believe what they read in the media, and according to the media, us conservatives are strictly a bunch of coal rolling, tree chopping, capital invading crazies, without a brain to share between us.

Saving the planet should have never been a partisan subject, and I'm very disappointed in my fellow conservatives over-all attitude regarding the issue. Times are changing, though; I'm hoping with enough time saving the planet will become a non-partisan issue.

OK, I've said my peace. Last bit I'll post on the subject.

Last edited:
I hate to even admit that, as immediately some of you guys are going to lose whatever modicum of respect you may have had for me. Sad sign of the times when a guy can't even admit his party affiliation without being pre-judged.
It’s ok, we’ll still let you post here! 😛

Most people don’t completely fit into one category or political party. You’re a good example of that, but whether it’s the press, our two party system or the politicians themselves, our society has done a good job of completely labeling and dividing so everyone is convinced that anyone ‘on the other side’ fits all their negative stereotypes and tropes. ‘The other side’ is the problem. We’ve gotten more focused on the sides than we have on our society and country.

There are two things that I typically refuse to discuss: 1. Politics 2. Religion, but I'm going to make one single exception with this post.

I am, quite literally, a gun toting conservative. I have had a concealed firearms permit for longer than most of you guys have been alive. :) I'm very avid in the shooting sports, and am very conservative albeit anti-MAGA.

But more and more of us conservatives are seeing the light. Not only have I bought my last ICE vehicle, but I've also switched over all of our small-engine appliances to electric. We're also going to be doing home solar/powerwalls, too.

I'm honestly not surprised that so many people have very negative attitudes toward conservatives, though, as the press has been doing such a good job of twisting stuff around to serve the opposing agenda that Russia's propaganda services would be proud.

I'm not alone in my views regarding the environment, either; many conservatives feel as I do. That probably surprises a lot of you guys, but again... people tend to believe what they read in the media, and according to the media, us conservatives are strictly a bunch of coal rolling, tree chopping, capital invading crazies, without a brain to share between us.

Saving the planet should have never been a partisan subject, and I'm very disappointed in my fellow conservatives over-all attitude regarding the issue. Times are changing, though; I'm hoping with enough time saving the planet will become a non-partisan issue.

Well said, I’m like you. To bad people judge us by the narrative our obviously bias media portrays.

Great post.
I’ve stated before, I didn’t support either candidate last election. But I can say I did not form my opinion of the repub party from the media, but rather from the past presidents direct words and actions combined with those republicans who supported and continue to support him.
In my opinion, there have been some great republican presidents. Just not the last one.
FYI: none of the above is a ringing endorsement for the current president.

Reactions: Phlier
The politicians in both parties are more extreme than the average citizen. That's the problem.
Oh my gosh, this x1000. Honestly, if society could just get back to treating one another as human beings first (or even just fellow Americans) instead of D's & R's/RINO's & DINO's etc...but I'm not sure how we'll ever get there at this point. Division has proven to be an incredibly effective tool for those in positions of power.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Oh my gosh, this x1000. Honestly, if society could just get back to treating one another as human beings first (or even just fellow Americans) instead of D's & R's/RINO's & DINO's etc...but I'm not sure how we'll ever get there at this point. Division has proven to be an incredibly effective tool for those in positions of power.
We should outlaw political parties.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
Would be good for anyone talking about ideology to take the test on PolicticalCompass.com. It rates your ideology on 2-axis (social & economical) and then you can compare yourself to various parties / leaders.

I'm on the Left-Libertarian quarter. I'm definitely closer to Gandhi than others.

1653322655564.png

Attachments

• 1653322522554.png
    1653322522554.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 58
Just want to add here. The conservatives views on climate / environment has largely stayed the same over last 20 years. Only gone down slightly. But Democrats views have altered dramatically - leading to 40 point difference. So, its not just what the media is saying.

But the GOP as a party has moved a lot. In 2000 election GOP was ambivalent about climate change - Bush famously got out of Kyoto treaty but also mentioned climate change a couple of times in SOU. By 2008 there was a clear division between GOP presidential and vice-presidential nominees and by 2016, the GOP nominee was calling climate change a Chinese Hoax. Now there are hardly any elected GOP leaders who dare to say they think climate change is real.

1653323450586.png

1653323422268.png

• Informative
Reactions: BrerBear and Jeff N
In my earlier post, I mentioned that there are two things I generally won't ever discuss... politics and religion. This comes from an unwritten law we have at work. As an airline pilot, you are stuck working in extremely close quarters with another guy/girl for usually an entire month. Long flights result in hours of boredom in cruise flight. Can you imagine how horrible things would get if you started a discussion on one of the two topics that people are most passionate about, and you had different views?

IMO and IME, arguing/discussing/debating (whatever you want to call it) politics and/or religion with others is the ultimate effort in futility. No one is going to change their mind on either issue based on something that is rooted in debate; they will continue to feel the way they do and believe the things they believe no matter how well you define/make your argument.

Having said that, I do have points that I would make in counter to what @EVNow has said, but once again... such discussion is pointless, so I'm going to stick to what I said earlier about not saying anything more.

We can probably all at least agree that being able to have differing opinions and share them openly (or choose not to discuss them at all) is one of the things that really does make America a great country.

Having said that, I do have points that I would make in counter to what @EVNow has said, but once again... such discussion is pointless, so I'm going to stick to what I said earlier about not saying anything more.
My first post was about everyone finding their own ideology. Nothing to do with politics, per se.

My second post used non-partisan polling to show the attitudes by party ID on climate change. Again nothing to do with politics per se. Just polling numbers from non-partisan, well respected pollsters.

ps : I didn't even attack anyone, unlike your post.

IMO and IME, arguing/discussing/debating (whatever you want to call it) politics and/or religion with others is the ultimate effort in futility. No one is going to change their mind on either issue based on something that is rooted in debate; they will continue to feel the way they do and believe the things they believe no matter how well you define/make your argument.
Sure, few people will admit to immediately changing their mind when presented with differing arguments or evidence. But over the longer-term, many people do change their opinions on major topics and I’m somewhat confident that repeated exposure to differing opinions and evidence paves the way. Alternatively, living in an echo chamber by yourself or with only like-minded others seems to lead toward ever more extreme views.

In any case, I find that these kinds of diverse discussions help me to clarify my own views.