Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope.

My argument is there's still no evidence it's a buyable L5 car for $37,000.

All we have a is press release, of a future vehicle they "hope" to have in "limited testing" next year and almost certainly heavily geofenced, and not for sale at any price to a customer.

Because that's what the actual facts are here.

So citing it as an example of someone offering a cheap L5 consumer-buyable car is weird since it's literally none of those things presently and we have no evidence it will be one anytime soon.

Right now, nobody has an L5 car. At any price.

A very few companies have L4 cars, that are very very heavily geofenced and still don't work at scale, and are not actually for sale to the public at all (and would cost a lot more than $37,000 if they were).

Just about every company on earth, in both the EV and autonomy space, continually makes future promises they never meet (or are at least many years beyond when they originally claimed they'd meet them). Tesla is hardly alone there.
Ok. Got it.
But where is your basis for the $250k number?

And show your work.

Thnx

Reactions: Bladerskb
giphy.gif

Got it. Can you please refrain from making arguments that an L5 car will cost $250k

This is pretty easy to do, since I never actually said that.

This thread is 183 pages. 180 of them are people misunderstanding or misquoting others.

What I actually said was 2 things:

One is- you can't buy an L5 car today at any price- no matter how high.

And

Two- The reason not to load up a car with tons of different, super advanced, sensors, and massive V2V communications tech, was we don't want cars to cost $250,000.

Especially when you might STILL not manage L5 even then.

But by all means- please cite any examples I missed of L5 cars I can buy for under 250k today :)

For contrast- Waymos cars, per their own former CEO, cost around $130,000-$150,000.... and are still not remotely near L5.

They are, at best, L4, when heavily geofenced to small areas of a couple of specific places, and programmed to avoid hard routes in those areas, and still need humans on standby to direct them around situations they can't figure out.

Now imagine if you added so many more sensors, and V2V, as to let them brute-force via sensors all the way to L5. 250k would probably be a bargain.

Nobody does- because the cost would be so insanely high there'd be no business model to support it.

On the other hand, if you can actually solve vision (which I've never suggested Tesla has done- just that it's what they're attempting to do)- then you can get to L5 massively cheaper than even what Waymo is spending to get super-limited L4- because you don't the slew of other sensors and processing the much more expensive attempts at self driving are trying to make work.

Last edited:
we don't want cars to cost $250,000.

We don't want cars to cost $500,000, or $1 million, or $10 million either!

Sounds like your $250k is just a made up number that you continually use for dramatic effect with no logical explanation on how you arrived at that number. Since you have no idea what an L5 car will cost, please stop speculating.

We don't want cars to cost $500,000, or $1 million, or $10 million either!

Right- which is why just throwing more types of expensive sensors- without any evidence you actually need them- is a poor approach to building autonomous vehicles.

We already have ~$150k Waymo cars that can barely manage a pretty narrow definition of L4 driving- only in a couple specific places- and not on hard routes- if you also have humans on call as backup navigators--- imagine how much more expensive HW they'd need to throw at it to try and brute force their way to L5.

Whereas if you solve vision, you don't need most of that expensive hardware at all.