Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Just another example of outrageous Elon hype that was never going to happen. And TSLA Bulls picked it up and ran with it. They continue to push that talking point to this day. It is designed to pump demand and the stock. But I also think it was an attempt to keep Tesla relevant and exciting. AV Companies announce driverless robotaxis, I think GM teased a Chevy Bolt with no steering wheel, so Elon goes "Tesla will deliver driverless too and your car will be a huge money-making robotaxi!" so that people will continue to pay attention to Tesla.

Reactions: DanCar and 2101Guy
Just another example of outrageous Elon hype that was never going to happen. And TSLA Bulls picked it up and ran with it. They continue to push that talking point to this day. It is designed to pump demand and the stock. But I also think it was an attempt to keep Tesla relevant and exciting. AV Companies announce driverless robotaxis, I think GM teased a Chevy Bolt with no steering wheel, so Elon goes "Tesla will deliver driverless too and your car will be a huge money-making robotaxi!" so that people will continue to pay attention to Tesla.
😂 Technically, the "no steering wheel" promise was fulfilled when Tesla released a car with a yoke.

Long ago, I used to work at a radio station as an announcer. The Chief Announcer's advice was, "If you make a minor flub, just move on like nothing happened. People don't listen that carefully and forget quickly." That's Elon's credo also. He's slings a lot of sugar and some it comes true, eventually.

Long ago, I used to work at a radio station as an announcer. The Chief Announcer's advice was, "If you make a minor flub, just move on like nothing happened. People don't listen that carefully and forget quickly." That's Elon's credo also. He's slings a lot of sugar and some it comes true, eventually.
There is a big distance between a radio station announcer and the CEO of a publicly traded company. Tesla has done an amazing job with their FSD however they need to be realistic.

Just another example of outrageous Elon hype that was never going to happen.
what you call hype I call optimism.

In most of Elons business pursuits he pushes extreme deadlines to reach his goals. I personally don't consider it "hype" but instead he is concentrating on motivating and pushing his team to deliver, and I think he truly believes in his objectives and those timeframes when he sets them. Yes he may revise later based on new information, but I consider him to be sincere.

Clearly he does not always hit those deadlines on time, but just because he may be late does not mean (to me) it is "hype".

• Disagree
Reactions: 2101Guy
what you call hype I call optimism.

In most of Elons business pursuits he pushes extreme deadlines to reach his goals. I personally don't consider it "hype" but instead he is concentrating on motivating and pushing his team to deliver, and I think he truly believes in his objectives and those timeframes when he sets them. Yes he may revise later based on new information, but I consider him to be sincere.

Clearly he does not always hit those deadlines on time, but just because he may be late does not mean (to me) it is "hype".

Except he charged money for that "optimism". It is fine to push your team to achieve ambitious goals, it is quite another to publicly declare those ambitious goals as if they are fact, which he did when he said Tesla would have cars with no steering wheels in 2 years. And he is welcome to believe in his objectives, just not charge money for them before they are real. I also don't fault Elon for missing deadlines, everyone does, especially on something as ambitious as autonomous driving. But again, you cannot charge money and then just go "oops, I was optimistic, I meant next year", take more money and then go "oops sorry again, I meant next next year".

Must be driven by the ongoing global shortage of midnight oil
No shortage. Available now at all good retailers...
1659135550916.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Ramphex
Except he charged money for that "optimism". It is fine to push your team to achieve ambitious goals, it is quite another to publicly declare those ambitious goals as if they are fact, which he did when he said Tesla would have cars with no steering wheels in 2 years. And he is welcome to believe in his objectives, just not charge money for them before they are real. I also don't fault Elon for missing deadlines, everyone does, especially on something as ambitious as autonomous driving. But again, you cannot charge money and then just go "oops, I was optimistic, I meant next year", take more money and then go "oops sorry again, I meant next next year".
At least he's not as bad as Chris Roberts.

• Funny
Reactions: hw13
Landing rockets back onto a barge was not "elon hype that was never going to happen". Landing rockets onto a barge was difficult, yes, but was entirely doable, unlike Elon claims of L5.
With all due respect, now you've lost me. Tesla could add more sensors to the point of overkill. They could add more compute power. They could also rely on hi-res mapping. Is your point that no vehicle company will achieve L5 autonomy without a ridiculous geofence?

With all due respect, now you've lost me. Tesla could add more sensors to the point of overkill. They could add more compute power. They could also rely on hi-res mapping. Is your point that no vehicle company will achieve L5 autonomy without a ridiculous geofence?
A "ridiculous geofence" will make it L4. No one is suggesting that Tesla should add more sensors to the point of overkill, they just need to add enough sensors to allow the car to perform L3 autonomous driving.