Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yea, I figured someone would be saying that :) There are a whole lot other things I had to do to. The worst part compared to today was having to drive across the USA with a map on the dash and even it was not always correct.
Yeah - I can't count the number of times I was driving somewhere as a teenager and got lost so I had to pull over and pull out the map book to figure out where I was and how to get un-lost. In hindsight It was actually much better for developing navigational skills. Now no one learns how to read a map; they just follow the directions on the screen. I've noticed that when I'm in a new place I don't learn it nearly as quickly if I use the GPS.

Yeah, I'd say the price hasn't REALLY changed until the subscription price changes.

If the subscription price changes you know it really works.

I do find it a bit disturbing that Elon is raising the price rather dramatically on something where there is no guarantee that the buyer is even going to get into the beta within a few months of purchase.

In fact it seems like a rather cruel FOMO move.
With the subscription price at $200/month it would take 6 years and 3 months to pay for the full $15k purchase price. A large number of people don’t keep their cars that long so it definitely makes more sense to rent rather than buy for them.

I hate how many companies are moving to a subscription model but for FSD it actually does make sense since there will be ongoing costs for Tesla. In the short term it will likely hurt them, though. If it costs $15k to buy and it’s still not ready after being promised for years, why should I buy? The other features that you do get outside of FSDb are pretty minor and in no way work $15k (or $200/month,) IMO.

With the subscription price at $200/month it would take 6 years and 3 months to pay for the full $15k purchase price. A large number of people don’t keep their cars that long so it definitely makes more sense to rent rather than buy for them.

I hate how many companies are moving to a subscription model but for FSD it actually does make sense since there will be ongoing costs for Tesla. In the short term it will likely hurt them, though. If it costs $15k to buy and it’s still not ready after being promised for years, why should I buy? The other features that you do get outside of FSDb are pretty minor and in no way work $15k (or $200/month,) IMO.
I would not expect the subscription price to stay at $200 for very much longer, let alone for 6 years.

Nothing new, of course…no idea what wide release means either.

If we look at past wide releases like the wide release of NOA, Tesla did wide release when the features reached a "good enough" stage. NOA went into wide release when it became fairly usable. It still requires driver supervision but it works well and does not make a lot of safety critical mistakes. I think FSD Beta wide release will be similar. It will still require driver supervision but it will go into wide release when FSD Beta can make short trips with zero interventions pretty consistently and does not make frequent "tried to kill me" mistakes. My guess is when the city intervention rate is about 1 per 100 miles, Tesla will call it good enough.

But hey, it's progress that Elon has gone from saying FSD is a solved problem to saying FSD will require insane work. At least, he seems to understand that FSD is hard now. Took him like 6 years to figure it out. LOL.

Last edited:
If we look at past wide releases like the wide release of NOA, Tesla did wide release when the features reached a "good enough" stage. NOA went into wide release when it became fairly usable. It still requires driver supervision but it works well and does not make a lot of safety critical mistakes. I think FSD Beta wide release will be similar. It will still require driver supervision but it will go into wide release when FSD Beta can make short trips with zero interventions pretty consistently and does not make frequent "tried to kill me" mistakes. My guess is when the city intervention rate is about 1 per 100 miles, Tesla will call it good enough.

But hey, it's progress that Elon has gone from saying FSD is a solved problem to saying FSD will require insane work. At least, he seems to understand that FSD is hard now. Took him like 6 years to figure it out. LOL.
I wasn’t around before NOA and I haven’t used the latest 10.13/10.69 release but I’d wager it will still be some time before ‘wide release’ of FSD. There are just too many of the “tried to kill me“ mistakes. Even though it’s nominally slower speeds, city driving affords infinitely more opportunities for the car to kill you simply because virtually every street corner is a yield/no yield decision. If you get it wrong you have an accident. On top of this, Tesla is already facing increased scrutiny and lawsuits related to autopilot despite the fact that it’s pretty darned good.

Message to the troops: No vacations until you meet your goal!

I can't say about Starship getting to orbit, but I expect FSD beta will be included in the holiday release for all FSD licensees.
I wonder how they will manage the strike system? I think they would have a hard time removing access entirely, but wonder what their method will be? I don’t think one strike disabling for the drive will accomplish what they need since it is so easy to re-enable in city driving.

I think a good solution is a 5-10 minute procedure to re-enable after a strike. This would need to be done every time you get in the car, for three months after a strike.

I hope it is draconian in any case.

I wonder how they will manage the strike system? I think they would have a hard time removing access entirely, but wonder what their method will be? I don’t think one strike disabling for the drive will accomplish what they need since it is so easy to re-enable in city driving.

I think a good solution is a 5-10 minute procedure to re-enable after a strike. This would need to be done every time you get in the car, for three months after a strike.

I hope it is draconian in any case.
The strike concept should go away and violation of attentiveness should land you in AP jail, just as it does today for non-beta cars.

How would that work? It’s not really jail in that case. There is no penalty.

Anyway it will be something different in my opinion, maybe it makes sense to lock out for 24 hours (bad day philosophy). This is off topic here, sorry, can discuss in other threads.
It's been a long time since I did time in AP jail, but as I recall, you have to put the car in park and get out of the car. When you get back in, you can then use AP again.

But, the objective should be to ensure attentiveness, not to punish. So, getting out of the car might encourage walking around a bit or taking a break so you can then keep your eyes on the road. In any event, having to get out of the car requires finding a place to park and certainly incurs some delay, so there is some negative feedback beyond loss of self-driving.

My guess is when the city intervention rate is about 1 per 100 miles, Tesla will call it good enough.

I can’t see FSD Beta getting to 1 per 100 city intervention rate by end of year. NoA failed on like more than 50% of interchanges when it was released to production. I think the criteria for wide release will be lower than you think.

I can’t see FSD Beta getting to 1 per 100 city intervention rate by end of year. NoA failed on like more than 50% of interchanges when it was released to production. I think the criteria for wide release will be lower than you think.
Is there a limitation for the maximum steering angle than FSD can turn the wheel?

- I never been able to use a roundabout without getting​
the RED Steering Wheel Display Warning, even at 5 miles per hour.​

2021.4.15.11-Cabin_Camera_Updates.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
During Autopark, the steering wheel seems to move through its entire rotation, so I would say that there is no limit beyond what the front wheels can do.

I've been through plenty of roundabouts with no Red Wheel of Death. Really small roundabouts (horizontal speed bumps) are still a big problem for my car.