Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems James Locke forgot the real reason he is in the early beta. FSD beta goes to youtube influencers first so that they can promote and hype Tesla's FSD. The youtube influencers are basically Tesla's PR. James is supposed to post videos and talk about how great FSD is. Instead he issued a public criticism that could make Tesla look bad. That is a big no-no.

It seems James Locke forgot the real reason he is in the early beta. FSD beta goes to youtube influencers first so that they can promote and hype Tesla's FSD. The youtube influencers are basically Tesla's PR. James is supposed to post videos and talk about how great FSD is. Instead he issued a public criticism that could make Tesla look bad. That is a big no-no.
Yep. Didnt Elon say something a few months ago to influencers to "be careful what videos you post because people may interpret it negatively about the tech" or something like that? Dude violated that rule.

Reactions: diplomat33

Seems Elon feels criticism is ok once you get on the .1 or .2 versions that go wide. He just does not want criticism in the original version.
Seems to me both could have handled it better.

If James can directly ask Elon for early access, he could have also sent the feedback directly.

Elon could have ignored James tweet. By replying he just gave huge amount of publicity to it.

There is an article on Electrek also and will probably be on other sites tomorrow.

Of course I know it is more about getting clicks and BI often runs anti Musk stories for that purpose.

Last edited:
Kim better watch out since Elon is on the warpath.:oops:

Thanks for sharing the video - I don't think I've seen her videos before. She's quite a character. From watching it, the car seems to do pretty good just driving normally. Where she gets frustrated are edge cases, like she wants it to swerve around a car turning right, which takes her over the lane line and partially into the left lane, which has cars in that lane - which causes them to veer left to make room for her encroaching on their lane so she can get past the car turning right. Typical Newport behavior: everyone get out of my way, I have places to be. :)

I know this is probably not a popular opinion but the focusing on the "Chuck" complex left is getting ahead of the needs of some more basic control issues.

I’ve also expressed similar sentiments - calling those ULTs a distraction.

BUT, now I’m not sure. If the solution is generic and makes all kinds of ULTs more reliable, consistent and safe - it’s worth it. Afterall ULT is one of the tougher features and if Tesla can get it right, it would help. They need similar focus on other pesky issues and solve them (roundabouts, smooth turns, selecting the right lanes etc). May be in a year they will have a solid beta software ready for wide rollout.

ps : I’ve to say I’m impressed with the way 69 is handling those ULTs. Definitely better than I expected. I hope it translates to simpler ULTs handled with ease.

Not only that, he is complaining about the management! You can talk about the problem area of FSD, but not how you manage the project, which becomes personal. Also, the problem he mentioned about the crossing 3 lanes in 100 feet after a left turn to right turn into a shopping center is really not significant and visible enough for the public.

I also think that the Chuck UPL project is a validation of maybe some internal conflicts on down to earth hard coding compared with NN AI blue sky. The introduction of modules that account for delay between command and actual effect as mentioned in the release doc further illustrated the necessity of real life control theory expertise requirements. Most of the implementations are just hard rules coding, which I think are demonstrated by other competitors. Elon needs the validation and motivation on his teams capabilities after missing so many 2 weeks promises which may have came from his since departed AI expert!!

Thanks for sharing the video - I don't think I've seen her videos before. She's quite a character. From watching it, the car seems to do pretty good just driving normally. Where she gets frustrated are edge cases, like she wants it to swerve around a car turning right, which takes her over the lane line and partially into the left lane, which has cars in that lane - which causes them to veer left to make room for her encroaching on their lane so she can get past the car turning right. Typical Newport behavior: everyone get out of my way, I have places to be. :)
Typical behavior is not an edge case by definition!

Anyone else's eyebrow slightly raised at Elon referring to the current testing as "Early Beta"? That's what he's calling the entire Beta program in its current form, and he's saying they already know of the many issues that exist.

Then he's saying they're not doing these limited-release updates to smaller groups just to bring up issues they're already aware of, they're doing it to discover new issues introduced and that need to be resolved before releasing to the full group of Early Beta testers.

I can kinda see his point now. Want to say I'm surprised he's calling this "Early Beta" but am also not surprised because I've long suspected that the "Late Beta" is what will happen after FSD is released to the full fleet with a (Beta) tag.

Typical behavior is not an edge case by definition!

Anyone else's eyebrow slightly raised at Elon referring to the current testing as "Early Beta"? That's what he's calling the entire Beta program in its current form, and he's saying they already know of the many issues that exist.

Then he's saying they're not doing these limited-release updates to smaller groups of people just to bring up issues they're already aware of, they're doing it to discover new issues introduced and that need to be resolved before releasing to the full group of Early Beta testers.
In her case she wants the typical behavior to squeeze around a car, forcing other cars to adjust their driving around her. Some human drivers (ie: aggressive drivers) wouldn't think twice about this and just go around, inconveniencing other cars around them. I'm sure it wouldn't take too many complaints from other drivers that have to swerve or brake to react to a Tesla encroaching into their lane while getting around a car turning right before regulators spanked Tesla. The correct, and safe move is to stop behind the car turning right and wait for its turn. If there are no other cars in the adjacent lane, then move around the car. But there is a lot of traffic, so she just disengages and pulls around the car - and you can see in the visualization that there are other cars in the adjacent lane, and the car behind her likely has to brake as she swerves into their lane. She's just impatient and feels Tesla should be more aggressive.