Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Elon's berating yielded results and Locke has capitulated and gone to the ULTRA safe standard Whole Mars Catalog video title: "Zero intervention drive...":rolleyes:🤣🤣

EDIT: Haven't watched yet but comments say he used accelerator pedal making the title even more "Whole Mars Catalog" pandering to Elon.

I get why he caved, but moving immediately to the opposite spectrum is a little amusing.

Reactions: Terminator857
Or just don’t reply.

Now it comes across as trying to censor criticism.
What a great point.

What if James had replied to Elon with something like:

"With all due respect @elonmusk I am entitled to my opinion and @Twitter is a platform that you yourself are pushing to be free speech. I still feel my criticisms were valid and I can respect that you don't feel the same way as I do. I am constantly impressed by FSD but there is also more work to be done."

Not sure if Elon would respect that or make an enemy out of James but I would certainly respect that response.

For an alpha version of a software in very limited access (As EM mentioned, only employees + selected few who asked for it) for internal testing, the general expectation is that feedbacks are collected in some internal channels, at least that is how it is supposed to work given my experience working in a major tech company.

Perhaps this is misunderstanding from James part on the proper channels of communication for submitting feedback. I doubt that the feedback he broadcast on twitter can reach the tesla fsd team more effectively compared to whatever internal feedback channels tesla provides.

Reactions: wknickless
James feedback appeared to be "You still haven't fixed more fundamental stuff that has been broken for months now while you were having engineers literally iterating on Chucks street to fix his specific turn"

Said fundamental stuff which presumably he already used all "internal" channels to provide in the past, without result.

He's upset OLD stuff is still broken.

Whereas Elon seems to be reading it as James complaining about the quality of the NEW stuff in .69--- which I agree if you ask to be among the very first testers of you can't expect it to not have issues.

What a great point.

What if James had replied to Elon with something like:

"With all due respect @elonmusk I am entitled to my opinion and @Twitter is a platform that you yourself are pushing to be free speech. I still feel my criticisms were valid and I can respect that you don't feel the same way as I do. I am constantly impressed by FSD but there is also more work to be done."

Not sure if Elon would respect that or make an enemy out of James but I would certainly respect that response.

You are totally missing the point, and trying to make this about manners and social conventions. It is not.

This is FSD Beta 10.69, which was released only to Tesla internal testers (mostly Tesla employees). It is NOT going to wide release, and the only reason James got it is because he pulled a favor directly, using his elevated status as a promenient Youtuber.

Then he complains publicly that the beta doesn't fix HIS issues. That was NEVER the point of the limited release of v10.69 which is to identify any NEW issues that may have arisen.

James didn't do that. Instead, he misused his status to soapbox about the right turns he thinks should be the priority. That's just bad karma, and shows that James fundamentally misunderstands the testing process.

He should not ask again for early access to new Beta releases if he is conflating the purpose of the early release and his personal preferences for how the development priorities should be set.

As it was, James' comments came off as clickbait, mainly throwing red meat to the legions of haters who seize upon any negativity, even if it is unjustified. That's not helpful.

Can someone tweet him to see if more folks will be brought into the beta? I don’t have social media. Mainly people that traded cars in that had the beta and missed the last roll out because we were stuck on factory software?
Fairly easy to create a Twitter account and tweet.

Chances of Elon responding is low. Better chances of asking Omar or SiliconValley guy from above to tweet instead.

Looks like Elon's berating yielded results and Locke has capitulated and gone to the ULTRA safe standard Whole Mars Catalog video title: "Zero intervention drive...":rolleyes:🤣🤣
It’s called access journalism. If you want access you should play by the “rules”.

This 69 version was mainly internal and only a handful of YouTubers got it. Not even the TeslaDaily guy. You can’t plead for special access and then whine on Twitter.

Reactions: BDC62
Knowing I'm not going to get the update until 10.69.2 and still being disappointed when Monday rolls around 🤣
Not sure who is supposed to get 69.1. People who used to get the real eases early ?

Last few releases I’ve got new releases late … so I guess I’ll get it late as well.

ps : I’ve 21,000 miles on the car in 4+ years. Mainly because of Covid and WFH. Wonder the low miles is one of the reasons for getting the release late.

Reactions: Acisplat
Not sure who is supposed to get 69.1. People who used to get the real eases early ?

Last few releases I’ve got new releases late … so I guess I’ll get it late as well.

ps : I’ve 21,000 miles on the car in 4+ years. Mainly because of Covid and WFH. Wonder the low miles is one of the reasons for getting the release late.
There was speculation that people under 10K miles on their cars were pushed to low priority on the last few releases; I just recently reached 10800 miles but you have almost double my miles so the 10K theory is probably not true.

You are totally missing the point, and trying to make this about manners and social conventions. It is not.

This is FSD Beta 10.69, which was released only to Tesla internal testers (mostly Tesla employees). It is NOT going to wide release, and the only reason James got it is because he pulled a favor directly, using his elevated status as a promenient Youtuber.

Then he complains publicly that the beta doesn't fix HIS issues. That was NEVER the point of the limited release of v10.69 which is to identify any NEW issues that may have arisen.

James didn't do that. Instead, he misused his status to soapbox about the right turns he thinks should be the priority. That's just bad karma, and shows that James fundamentally misunderstands the testing process.

He should not ask again for early access to new Beta releases if he is conflating the purpose of the early release and his personal preferences for how the development priorities should be set.

As it was, James' comments came off as clickbait, mainly throwing red meat to the legions of haters who seize upon any negativity, even if it is unjustified. That's not helpful.
I see where you are coming from with your points. If that is really the case then Tesla made a mistake by not putting James under an NDA.

I'm ok with James wanting to fix HIS issues. Chuck is getting HIS issue fixed. They all need to be fixed for FSD to be fully baked. This is what public testing does, it shows the weak points that need to be worked on by the FSD team.

This tweet thread has created quite a hubbub and I feel bad for James getting attacked publicly. He didn't have bad intentions. There is much much worse on Twitter.

ive logged 35k in a little over a year and a ton of it on FSD beta so so. Not sure how they determine it because I've been getting all the recent updates last

ive logged 35k in a little over a year and a ton of it on FSD beta so so. Not sure how they determine it because I've been getting all the recent updates last
Interesting. I was thinking my per day mileage is low and thus not being in the earlier group. Would make sense, because they are looking for quick feedback before wider rollout.

The correct way to do this would be to randomly select people in each of the important categories. By a category I mean hardware model + geography + … any other thing they think is important. Basically get the release out to a wide variety of of users.

Not sure they send it to a random set of cars every release or they have a preselected set of 10k or so.

I see where you are coming from with your points. If that is really the case then Tesla made a mistake by not putting James under an NDA.

I'm ok with James wanting to fix HIS issues. Chuck is getting HIS issue fixed. They all need to be fixed for FSD to be fully baked. This is what public testing does, it shows the weak points that need to be worked on by the FSD team.

This tweet thread has created quite a hubbub and I feel bad for James getting attacked publicly. He didn't have bad intentions. There is much much worse on Twitter.

The problem is that James has a low EQ. And so does Musk.

Both people could have handled this so much better. We need to stop making this a free speech issue and more about how not to piss people off if you want to get your way.

With the last release there was a lot of speculation about Tesla intentionally keeping some people on the old build and doing comparative A/B testing. Of course no one knows for sure what they’re doing but I’m curious if they did and or will do it again.
Since they're raising the price for buying FSD hopefully that confidence means we'll all get pushed at least 10.69.2
If I was still stuck on 10.12.2, I would just disable FSD until the next update at that point.