Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I'm still on the last pre-69 build- and took a couple friends to dinner last night who hadn't seen it before (they'd seen normal AP a bunch but first time driving them someplace with FSD).

Car drove from my driveway to the interstate (roughly 10-15 min drive), another 30 min across 2 different divided highways (handling the interchange between), exited the last highway and got us to right in front of the restaurant (only 3 min. off the highway).

0 interventions.

A few spots were jerky and goofy, but it did work.

What was most interesting was one of the friends is a HUGE TSLA bull (though a twitter one, not on here) but despite the 0 interventions was actually less bullish on FSD after the drive because all he'd ever seen previous were the BS sped-up-looks-perfect stuff from guys like Omar.

This showed him "yeah, it does kinda actually work but there's a LOT of warts on it still..."

As most of us know, you are only allowed to say good things about FSD beta.
James Locke might lose his early access because he speaks the truth.
Why not? instead of providing constructive feedback, he basically just complaint about a limited release. I mean... it is limited for a reason. I totally agreed with Elon here. We often get beta (even Alpha) versions of software but had to sign off all sorts of NDA and work closely with product managers on feedback.

again, I must say that the customers are Tesla's real QA team, I seriously doubt they have one.

Instead of providing constructive feedback, he basically just complaint about a limited release.
Exactly right. Chuck, Kim and others take the time and effort to record and post their drives with commentary. Putting that kind of skin in the game earns respect from professional and mature people whose work is critically evaluated. Particularly when objective evidence in the form of video comes along with that criticism.

A random tweet saying "it sucks because you worked on someone else's problem but didn't solve all MY problems" fails on both counts.

I see where you are coming from with your points. If that is really the case then Tesla made a mistake by not putting James under an NDA.
Respectfully disagree. An NDA is a legal document whose creation and enforcement is very expensive. In contrast, it probably took Elon just a couple of minutes, tops, to write the tweets that pushed back on James. Same effect, but much more efficient use of everyone's time and money.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
Exactly right. Chuck, Kim and others take the time and effort to record and post their drives with commentary. Putting that kind of skin in the game earns respect from professional and mature people whose work is critically evaluated. Particularly when objective evidence in the form of video comes along with that criticism.

A random tweet saying "it sucks because you worked on someone else's problem but didn't solve all MY problems" fails on both counts.
He has already made 8 Beta 10.69 YouTube videos so far and is an early Beta user. Has several dozen Beta videos and most if not all with running commentary (including his wife). So he has a LOT of skin in the game.

Last edited:
What was most interesting was one of the friends is a HUGE TSLA bull (though a twitter one, not on here) but despite the 0 interventions was actually less bullish on FSD after the drive because all he'd ever seen previous were the BS sped-up-looks-perfect stuff from guys like Omar.

Yeah a lot of the (dis)comfort issues have to be felt. Once you feel them, you might be able to spot them in the videos, but most people will never notice just watching vids.

This showed him "yeah, it does kinda actually work but there's a LOT of warts on it still..."
We all experienced this when we first got the beta.

Like I have posted, it’s like comparing watching a video of mountain climbing to actually climbing a mountain.

Reminds me of my old days at MSFT.

People used to say the same thing - claiming Microsoft doesn’t do any testing. Even though there were more than 10k testers testing Windows for years before a major release.
Total tangent, but my favorite from an IT perspective is when people are annoyed by a change Microsoft made to Windows. "I use that feature all the time, why did they remove it?!?" Yet the first thing they do when installing Windows is disable all telemetry. "I don't want Microsoft seeing how I use my PC!!"

Truly unfortunate. I am disappointed that they are doing this, and hopefully it is the last time. No excuse for strikeouts except documented hardware failures, in my opinion.
It would be nice if service had the power/authority to reset strikeouts after servicing a problem, such as replacing the defective/improperly installed cabin cameras which have caused inattentive problems for some people.

which have caused inattentive problems for some people.
Yes it would be nice.

Unfortunately, this is very likely only a very small number of the overall number of strikeouts.

Given the lack of documentation and video evidence of any false strike, I suspect nearly all of them are legitimate, other than obvious hardware failures that the car complains about (and honestly people should know better than to use FSD in that case…or the car should just prevent its use (the best solution)).

Maybe there are videos out there somewhere but whenever one is requested it is not forthcoming.

Last edited:
Yes it would be nice.

Unfortunately, this is very likely only a very small number of the overall number of strikeouts.

Given the lack of documentation and video evidence of any false strike, I suspect nearly all of them are legitimate, other than obvious hardware failures that the car complains about (and honestly people should know better than to use FSD in that case…or the car should just prevent its use (the best solution).).
My only strike came a couple of versions ago and was absolutely unwarranted. It would be nice to have a clean record again, though I am currently in no danger of losing FSD beta.

If (a big word here) FSD beta rolls out to all FSD licensees by the end of the year, the strikes should become moot anyway.

It would be nice to have a clean record again, though I am currently in no danger of losing FSD beta.
The thing is, you don’t need a reset. One strike I can understand. (What happened for you?)

I have no idea what people are doing to strike out, but my guess it is likely not good for maximizing the likelihood of the continuation of the program in general.

FSD beta rolls out to all FSD licensees by the end of the year, the strikes should become moot anyway.
I definitely hope they continue it in some form that makes it extremely inconvenient to get strikes (this is not punitive since all the safety features of FSD will still be available and active - only the convenience features would be removed).

The thing is, you don’t need a reset. One strike I can understand. (What happened for you?)

I have no idea what people are doing to strike out, but my guess it is likely not good for maximizing the likelihood of the continuation of the program in general.

I definitely hope they continue it in some form that makes it extremely inconvenient to get strikes (this is not punitive since all the safety features of FSD will still be available and active - only the convenience features would be removed).
What happened to me was that the car started yelling at me to pay attention to the road. I was doing initial testing of a new version and was absolutely paying very close attention to the road. I had no cellphone in view or in use and was applying sufficient torque to the wheel. I was not getting a steering wheel nag, in any event. It was an eyes forward nag.

After several cases of canceling and reengaging FSD beta, I got a notice that I was locked out and had a strike.

The only thing I could find to explain it was that my visor was pulled down part way to where it was pointing toward me as opposed to pointing toward the windshield. Although my seat is fairly far back and the visor was not blocking the camera view of my face, I no longer allow the visor to point toward me and have had no false attention nags since.

Truly unfortunate. I am disappointed that they are doing this, and hopefully it is the last time. No excuse for strikeouts except documented hardware failures, in my opinion. Should be removed from the beta testing program permanently.
I have 3 strikes. The first came when I was ‘distracted’ by making sure the car negotiated a turn properly (that is to say I was letting FSD drive and paying attention to the road and not the screen.)

The second came with no warning - no beeping. I can’t guarantee there wasn’t a blue screen that I missed since it was during the day with the sun out.

The third came without warning when I was on my way to work. I had just (<10 seconds prior) pulled on the wheel, was looking straight ahead and had my hand on the wheel. There were no beeps and I’m virtually certain there was no blue screen.

Tell me - what did I do wrong?

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life