Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ofcourse - mass transit is difficult in US because of various reasons. Robotaxi has a better chance of taking hold since people already use taxis (and uber etc) a lot. Initially it will be a mix of Uber & robotaxi - and gradually replaced by robotaxis entirely.....
Here is a disrupter that many overlook that is changing urban mobility. Electric/rental/Scooters and Bike. They are present everywhere on almost every corner and as a runner they are constant obstacles to be avoided. For instance here is pic I took last month of Bank of America building and look what is front and center that I didn't even see because they are so pervasive. Also on todays run I even took a couple detected scooter/bike pics to post.

Plus on Beta I almost ran over one that was left lying ½ in the street.

IMG_0524D.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg
IMG_0521 (1).jpeg
IMG_0519 (1).jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 12.48.43 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex
Regardless of your opinion is there anyone who doesn't think Elon is too optimistic on how quickly Robotaxis will make a significant impact to the owner model?
He has been wrong on every single long term ( > year ) prediction. He has proven over and over again he is way to optimistic. Anyone that doesn't think he is too optimistic is a neophyte.

Last edited:
Reactions: terranx
Regardless of your opinion is there anyone who doesn't think Elon is too optimistic on how quickly Robotaxis will make a significant impact to the owner model?
Elon is an entrepreneur. Almost by definition they are overoptimistic. If they weren't they'd never start in the first place. I accept it as a fundamental part of his character and temper my expectations accordingly. It's a bit annoying at times but remember, when Tesla was founded the only electric cars were golf carts. If he weren't optimistic, we wouldn't have Teslas and the electric car landscape would be drastically different.

Rain is a doddle. A rain suit is the answer.
Not if it rains 10 months a year.

I prefer the safety and comfort of a car. YMMV.

BTW, interestingly - Seattle and Portland have some of the largest number of bikers. But most use it for sport rather than commute. Excluding ex-Seattle mayor, who used to commute by bike - and ironically had his bike stolen too ;)

It's never going to happen in the US because there too many interests against it. For one, Americans love our cars too much. We value too much the freedom that comes from owning a car and being able to go anywhere we want, anytime we want. Big cities have mass transit because there is limited space in cities that makes owning a car more difficult. But the vast majority of people live outside of city centers and they depend heavily on cars to go places. And of course automakers base their entire business model on our love of personal car ownership so they have every business interest to not get rid of cars. On a side note, this is why I believe Elon is full of BS when he says Tesla will stop selling cars once FSD is solved. Yeah right. Tesla will continue to sell cars because people love owning cars and it will continue to be a big money maker for Tesla. Tesla would be dumb to get rid of that source of income.
There is s lot of political activity here to reduce commuting by car in all our "big" cities to reduce congestion, pollution, noise and inconvenience in neighbourhoods.
Some green politicians don't even see electric cars as the future, it is all to be mass transit, e-bikes and walking. That is why I believe the robotaxi concept could be a tough sell in cities in Europe if the political landscape move more ro the green (and brown) side.

For rural parts, public transport is not a good option if it exists at all. But robotaxies might find to small a market to be viable.

Electric/rental/Scooters and Bike. They are present everywhere on almost every corner and as a runner they are constant obstacles to be avoided.
Dallas, TX had a rental bike infestation a few years ago, followed by electric scooters and electric bikes. They've virtually disappeared now. I believe that after the novelty wore off, people decided that you still had to contend with traffic and summertime heat.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
So how do you convince towns and suburbs to offer or expand mass transit? Can you convince two towns with a combined population of just over 50,000 people to greatly expand their mass transit service area?
Nope, will be too expensive for the communities, not enough travellers to sustain criss cross bus routes. But distancea might be within cycling range for most people, especially e-bikes. The cheapest way would be painting a ton of cycling lanes.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: daktari and EVNow
Having lived in a rural area for most of my life, I am always struck by the amount of street parking there is in cities. This seems like a waste of space to me. Robotaxis would allow for a good portion of this space to be converted to other uses such as pedestrian, street cafes, bike lanes or green space while still allowing the convenience of car transport.

Having lived in a rural area for most of my life, I am always struck by the amount of street parking there is in cities. This seems like a waste of space to me. Robotaxis would allow for a good portion of this space to be converted to other uses such as pedestrian, street cafes, bike lanes or green space while still allowing the convenience of car transport.
Except that all those robotaxis supposedly flooding the cities will need to park someplace to save costs while waiting for the next fare. And there still needs to be someplace for the delivery trucks and service vehicles to park so that the street cafe has food to serve and toilets that flush.

Reactions: sleepydoc