Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similarly in Bellevue here (easter suburb of Seattle), there was a pilot e-bike program. The company pulled out of it in < 2 years.

The issue I take with a lot of these bike programs is a lot of our roads aren't conducive to riding a bike.

I've love to ride my e-bike to work, but its pretty dangerous.

Some percentage of the commute its because of crap in the bike lane
Some percentage of the commute its because there the bike lane ended, and there is no bike lane
Some percentage of the commute its because I have to get into the side walk to push the cross button to get a light to change
Drivers in the PNW are also pretty inattentive so I constantly see cars meandering into the bike lane.
Then there is the constant construction which messes things up.
One the construction is done this summer I hope to go back to biking to work about once a week.

I'd rather see money funneled into rails to trails programs and expanding existing trails which are hugely popular.

Scooter shares do appear to be pretty popular in Portland at least. That's not really a surprise as its mostly drunken hipsters.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Similarly in Bellevue here (easter suburb of Seattle), there was a pilot e-bike program. The company pulled out of it in < 2 years.

I think its hilarious that E-Scooters are not permitted to be ridden in Bellevue on streets with a speed limit over 25mph.

It's a bit ridiculous because it's really not that different than an e-bike.

I've ridden one a bunch of times in Bellevue without any issue because that's what I used to get around while getting my car serviced.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Here is the U.S. Office of Management and Budget defines a set of CBSA (core based statistical area).

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 5.30.03 PM.png

Looks like they were actually outlawed in 2020.

There were literally thousands of bikes littering the streets due to three or four companies flooding the market. But there were very few riders, and most of those were bikes that were stolen by people who learned that you could open the cheap wheel lock with a good whack from a rock.

The scooters were banned, but since they never returned, demand must have been too low to justify creating a sustainable program.

There were literally thousands of bikes littering the streets due to three or four companies flooding the market. But there were very few riders, and most of those were bikes that were stolen by people who learned that you could open the cheap wheel lock with a good whack from a rock.

The scooters were banned, but since they never returned, demand must have been too low to justify creating a sustainable program.
Strange since Atlanta LOVES them. We do charge $50 per year tax on each bike or scooter. We are open and probably have close to 10 different brands here. Bird, Lime, Twist and Spin seem to be the most on scooters. Uber, Zip and Relay are big on bikes.

Here is pic I took running on The BeltLine a couple of years ago.
IMG_0883.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds like 10.12 did get released internally yesterday, so following previous schedule of releases:
  1. Tuesday: Autopilot team testers
  2. Wednesday: employees get it + minor fixes -- there used to be 2 vehicles on Teslascope but no longer due to the security/token purge
  3. Thursday: early beta, e.g., original FSD Beta before the button -- seems to be 3 vehicles on TeslaFi in this group now
  4. Friday: wide beta
Does the comment regarding Teslascope cars mean they can no longer use FSDBeta or is it specific to the 2 vehicles that typically always show up first?

Does the comment regarding Teslascope cars mean they can no longer use FSDBeta or is it specific to the 2 vehicles that typically always show up first?
Neither.

There were 2 vehicles that showed up on Teslascope with early FSD builds.

Teslascope had an issue where people need to re-sign in to their Tesla account so that they (Teslascope) can keep getting data from their cars.

After that issue, those cars (apparently?) haven't re-signed in, so Teslascope doesn't have those data points anymore.

Reactions: edseloh
Even if 50% of people gave up their cars for AV transportation you would never have enough AVs to transport people where they want to go when they want to be there with a reasonable pickup time.

Why would you never have enough AVs? Just deploy 1M robotaxis! Once your autonomous driving is good enough that you don't need a safety driver, you can just mass produce a bunch of robotaxis and put them on the road. Building a lot of AVs would not be hard, we mass produce cars every day.

Why would you never have enough AVs? Just deploy 1M robotaxis! Once your autonomous driving is good enough that you don't need a safety driver, you can just mass produce a bunch of robotaxis and put them on the road. Building a lot of AVs would not be hard, we mass produce cars every day.

Someone just puked in this AV and the car, being autonomous didn’t pick up on the puke situation…

Request another?
Also keep in mind that it’s not public transport, you can be banned for puking in a robotaxi.
Wonder what happens when you try to cover the cameras and try to do something illicit. I suppose there are all sorts of nasty things one can find in a vehicle.
Quote:
Fecal and skin-borne bacteria resistant to antibiotics were found in a seat on a train headed from Daly City to Dublin/Pleasanton. Further testing on the skin-borne bacteria showed characteristics of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, the drug-resistant bacterium that causes potentially lethal infections, although Ms. Franklin cautioned that the MRSA findings were preliminary.

High concentrations of at least nine bacteria strains and several types of mold were found on the seat. Even after Ms. Franklin cleaned the cushion with an alcohol wipe, potentially harmful bacteria were found growing in the fabric.

Last edited:
Someone just puked in this AV and the car, being autonomous didn’t pick up on the puke situation…
Yes. “No one ever washed a rental,” right? The problem with all of these shared vehicle plans is they ignore the fact that a significant portion of the population are inconsiderate slobs and sociopaths.

How long until most of the robo taxis have slashed upholstery, graffiti on the seats and crap (both metaphorical and literal) on the floor? Yes, this is why we can’t have nice things.

Yes. “No one ever washed a rental,” right? The problem with all of these shared vehicle plans is they ignore the fact that a significant portion of the population are inconsiderate slobs and sociopaths.

How long until most of the robo taxis have slashed upholstery, graffiti on the seats and crap (both metaphorical and literal) on the floor? Yes, this is why we can’t have nice things.

Given you wouldn't be able to get into one without a credit card on file, plus an interior camera that if blocked would prevent your ride, I suspect vandalism rates will be far lower than you think.

I agree nobody washes rentals- but how many people return them with slashes seats and graffiti on them, given they know they'll be billed for it?

That doesn't mean you'll never have trash (or even puke for someone who'd otherwise be a drunk driver) to deal with, but you vastly overstate the issue.

And I'm not kidding about the robots- I'd bet money in Elons mind they're the perfect accompaniment to robotaxis... they can plug/unplug the supercharger cables for the RTs, AND clean out the interior if needed.

(I think like FSD he's overly optimistic about how easy they'll be to get working of course)

Reactions: diplomat33
I agree nobody washes rentals- but how many people return them with slashes seats and graffiti on them, given they know they'll be billed for it?
Rental cars are picked up and dropped off from manned locations and, when you pick up the car, it is presumed to be in good condition unless you report defects at the time. When you drop the car off, it is inspected by a person, so any damage done between pick up and drop off are known to have been done under your care.

Unless the robotaxi has as many cameras inside as outside, there will be no way to determine who might have written 'Free Elbonia" on the back of a seat.
The teslas of the future will come with hard plastic seats, vinyl flooring and a universal mount for the device of your choice instead of a screen, to make them ready for the robo taxi rollout that is perennially right around the corner.
Such luxury is why robotaxis will replace car ownership.

Reactions: qdeathstar
Rental cars are picked up and dropped off from manned locations and, when you pick up the car, it is presumed to be in good condition unless you report defects at the time. When you drop the car off, it is inspected by a person, so any damage done between pick up and drop off are known to have been done under your care.

Unless the robotaxi has as many cameras inside as outside, there will be no way to determine who might have written 'Free Elbonia" on the back of a seat.

Such luxury is why robotaxis will replace car ownership.
Saying "luxury is why robotaxis will replace car ownership" is a very broad statement. What do you mean? Since you live in such a large and varied state like Texas I would be interested in how you believe robotaxis will play out in cities versus rural areas. And how long? Robotaxis reminds me of all the Popular Mechanic/Popular Science issues that made predictions. Most either never happened and took infinitily longer then the author stated. Robotaxis will certainly happen it just a matter of how and where it will be deployed.

Saying "luxury is why robotaxis will replace car ownership" is a very broad statement. What do you mean? Since you live in such a large and varied state like Texas I would be interested in how you believe robotaxis will play out in cities versus rural areas. And how long? Robotaxis reminds me of all the Popular Mechanic/Popular Science issues that made predictions. Most either never happened and took infinitily longer then the author stated. Robotaxis will certainly happen it just a matter of how and where it will be deployed.
I thought they were being sarcastic.