Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AKA: a parlor trick. Fun to play but when needing to do something not worth the sloooooow wait. I can park and be ½ across the parking lot in the time it takes.
I just tried it this afternoon because of the discussion here. I don't use it often but it always works for me when I did.

I experimented in a mostly empty parking lot with lots of perpendicular lines to delineate stalls. What I noticed being different from a few months ago, is that it only gave me one choice at a time of which stall I wanted to back into. In the past I remember it giving me a choice of two to four adjacent empty spaces.

But once I tapped on the P icon and started the procedure, it executed the familiar double back-and-forth sequence and ended up perfectly placed in the parking space. I don't think the actual planning code is any better or worse than it was 6 months ago.

No question that it could be better for reverse parking, with the relatively good rearward camera coverage. It shouldn't have to make a correction pass unless you set it up with poor geometry by starting very close to the chosen slot.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Is it me or does that look like the parking lines are continuous across the driving lane? If so that'd certainly explain why it doesn't see that as a normal parking spot....whereas the visible lower level the spots have a clear break in the line to the north and south side of each driving lane.
THe picture isn’t a good representation, just the best I could do without driving back to work. It looks like the asphalt area to the left - clear lines like a ‘normal’ parking lot.

• Informative
Reactions: replicant

It would be interesting if Tesla could train the networks for FSD on a cohort of different camera angles at once. Right now, it seems like the network is very sensitive to camera angle/resolution/tint; where each new vehicle needs a lot of fine-tuning to function properly. But I bet with a right combination of 360 camera views, FSD could achieve a deeper understanding of the relationship between a 2D+time view of the world and the 3D+time reality.

It would be interesting if Tesla could train the networks for FSD on a cohort of different camera angles at once. Right now, it seems like the network is very sensitive to camera angle/resolution/tint; where each new vehicle needs a lot of fine-tuning to function properly. But I bet with a right combination of 360 camera views, FSD could achieve a deeper understanding of the relationship between a 2D+time view of the world and the 3D+time reality.
According to my wife and our experience with every single iteration of Model changes since 2015 (yes '15 '17 '19'21) My model S A/P & FSD have never performed as smoothly as her one '17 ModelX with FSD has since day one 🤣 She would say Tesla has never used a Model S clip one time to train🤦‍♂️

Musk says Tesla is primarily an AI and robotics company.

It's a nice talking point for the Tesla Bulls but I think it is misleading. Right now, car manufacturing is Tesla's main source of revenue. So it is mainly a car company right now. It is a company that started with cars and is now expanding into AI and robotics. So I think it would be more accurate to say that Tesla is a car company that is shifting towards AI and robotics.

Thanks. I’ll have to remember to try this. Just have to find a good spot in the parking structure where this will be feasible for a spot I actually want. I like a particular corner spot

Well I didn’t bother with the corner spot since there was no way to activate it for that one - would have to pull forward too far into non-existent space when going this direction - maybe I will try the other direction later, but the spot would be on the left side then, and not sure if that is supported. Anyway. Aimed for one next to it.

IMG_9959.jpeg

Put it in reverse.

1) Start button showed, highlighted spot next to end spot, I pushed it. It nearly immediately aborted Autopark.

2) Got out of car and cleaned off the wet cameras, since it was hard to see.

3) Tried to get it to activate again. Went forward, drove several feet, then placed in reverse. Nothing.

4) Went to a different location in the garage. Placed car so a single backup maneuver would hit the spot.

5). Reverse, park icon showed up. Pressed it. Backed up slowly. Then stopped. Thought about it. Went forward slightly. More thinking. Jiggled the wheel a bit doing nothing. Finally backed up slowly. Impressively snuggled up to the left hand side of the spot next to the pillar. Took a very long time. I should have timed it but I would guess at least 30 seconds, probably longer? And if anyone had been around I would have had to take over.

IMG_9958.jpeg

Is it AS fast as I could usually do it myself? No- but it's close enough for government work now... and while it's doing it I can do OTHER things
Tautopark >> Tmanualpark + Tgather

At least for me on this occasion.

I’ll try a couple more times and time myself and the Autopark.

Reactions: edseloh
Well I didn’t bother with the corner spot since there was no way to activate it for that one - would have to pull forward too far into non-existent space when going this direction - maybe I will try the other direction later, but the spot would be on the left side then, and not sure if that is supported. Anyway. Aimed for one next to it.

View attachment 1005481

Put it in reverse.

1) Start button showed, highlighted spot next to end spot, I pushed it. It nearly immediately aborted Autopark.

2) Got out of car and cleaned off the wet cameras, since it was hard to see.

3) Tried to get it to activate again. Went forward, drove several feet, then placed in reverse. Nothing.

4) Went to a different location in the garage. Placed car so a single backup maneuver would hit the spot.

5). Reverse, park icon showed up. Pressed it. Backed up slowly. Then stopped. Thought about it. Went forward slightly. More thinking. Jiggled the wheel a bit doing nothing. Finally backed up slowly. Impressively snuggled up to the left hand side of the spot next to the pillar. Took a very long time. I should have timed it but I would guess at least 30 seconds, probably longer? And if anyone had been around I would have had to take over.

View attachment 1005482

Tautopark >> Tmanualpark + Tgather

At least for me on this occasion.

I’ll try a couple more times and time myself and the Autopark.
Autopark in my garage has worked for me for 2.5 years. This update has virtually removed the feature. Many times the car will start to pull forward and then stop - and reversing out of my garage is now only possibly about 10% of the time. It will start up, and then immediately abort. I even had a situation where I had to crawl in from the passenger side and over the center console to back my car out as there isn't enough room to get in the driver door.

Clearly something has changed with autopark in 11.7.9, which is perhaps using more camera data than USS, and causing the car to think there isn't enough room to make the maneuver.

Thanks. I won’t waste my time. I am mystified why Tesla removes working features. Do they not have regression testing? This does not seem very complicated. Do not release software with regressions.

Make it a rule. No exceptions. I
It's a bit frustrating like Autowipers, they were bad, ok, then great (maybe 10.69?), then completely broken...now mostly broken.

Same with Summon, Autopark, Auto headlights....

Reactions: Dracaris