Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon implies Tesla will be worth nothing if L4 (minimum) isn’t achieved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh okay. I misunderstood this:

The CEO says that solving self-driving is the difference between Tesla being worth a lot of money or almost nothing.

"The overwhelming focus is on solving full self-driving. That’s essential. It’s really the difference between Tesla being worth a lot of money or worth basically zero."

Two more weeks!

Let’s be honest, he’s never going to achieve level 4 on the current FSD hardware. They need to retrofit new cameras and MAYBE they don’t need to install new camera locations. More megapixels means the computer needs to be more powerful as well to handle all the new pixels.
Oh, you think he doesnt know this? lol

oh okay. I misunderstood this:

The CEO says that solving self-driving is the difference between Tesla being worth a lot of money or almost nothing.

"The overwhelming focus is on solving full self-driving. That’s essential. It’s really the difference between Tesla being worth a lot of money or worth basically zero."
Yes, this is more accurate. And yes, it matters whether we accurately represent others’ intent, meaning, and words.

From the Washington Post:

So much of what Musk utters is just wishful thinking or trolling, egged on by the temptations baked into his favorite communication medium, Twitter. Yet you’d be a fool to dismiss him completely. He’s rich and powerful enough that you have to take all of it seriously.

Some of Musk’s biggest, wildest promises — reigniting the U.S. space program and making electric cars cool — have actually happened and really are changing the world. I mean, the man made a giant rocket called the Falcon Heavy that can launch into orbit and then stick its landing. His Starlink satellite Internet service is helping people stay online during the war in Ukraine. Closer to home, my family still drives a Tesla. We just changed models and declined to pay for full self-driving.

Reactions: Nujec and Ciaopec
From the Washington Post:

So much of what Musk utters is just wishful thinking or trolling, egged on by the temptations baked into his favorite communication medium, Twitter. Yet you’d be a fool to dismiss him completely. He’s rich and powerful enough that you have to take all of it seriously.

Some of Musk’s biggest, wildest promises — reigniting the U.S. space program and making electric cars cool — have actually happened and really are changing the world. I mean, the man made a giant rocket called the Falcon Heavy that can launch into orbit and then stick its landing. His Starlink satellite Internet service is helping people stay online during the war in Ukraine. Closer to home, my family still drives a Tesla. We just changed models and declined to pay for full self-driving.
:D:D:D

The overwhelming focus is on solving full self-driving
I realize this thread is more about the valuation part of the quote but this is the part that concerns me. IMO the transition to electric vehicles is more important than getting FSD working. I feel they should be placing more emphasis on increasing quality (both soft- and hardware), perfecting features, adding new features, expanding the product lineup and manufacturing capability.

Focus on being a car company first and being the ones to get FSD working second. That's how you'll ensure future valuation.

I realize this thread is more about the valuation part of the quote but this is the part that concerns me. IMO the transition to electric vehicles is more important than getting FSD working. I feel they should be placing more emphasis on increasing quality (both soft- and hardware), perfecting features, adding new features, expanding the product lineup and manufacturing capability.

Focus on being a car company first and being the ones to get FSD working second. That's how you'll ensure future valuation.
His comment may partly be based on his realization that, while Tesla is clearly an innovator in mass production EVs, that position will grow less and less meaningful as they are overtaken in EV volume by the likes of Volkswagen - probably somewhere around 2024. So their technology edge will become more important, and right now that edge is primarily in autonomy, even though their lead there is dwindling as well.

agreed. Even though there is a lot more competitors now than even two years ago (when I got my MY), I would likely still buy a MY. My biggest hesitation would be the current cost up over 30% since then.

Both the range and charging network were and still are leading factors for me. I considered a Kona/Niro at the time and dismissed them due to range. Glad I did as my EPA 326 is really more like 220 winter and 280 summer. I find the SC network much better and pretty much available where I need it (of course most charging is at home). While I'm glad to have a CCS1 adapter, I'd be nervous about that being my only on the road option.

That said, if I total my MY tomorrow, I'm not sure I would buy a Testla. It's just too darn expensive now. I'd be thinking about only using my wife's Camry for trips and maybe I could stay EV with a Kona or something like that. But I might just go back to an ICE. Maybe is they return a standard range MY at a reasonable price I'd go that route and assume it's a local area only car.

Reactions: Graham J
It appears Elon really wants FSD and he's keeping the pressure on. Tesla won't die without it as long as no other company offers it.

However, I think we need a few things to help make FSD work and current hardware isn't there.

The cars need to be networked with all nearby cars and share their intentions with each other. That would smooth traffic and reduce collisions. Cameras aren't enough for FSD and radar and or lidar will help. We need transponders in the road for when vision conditions are bad. Cameras, Radar and Lidar won't work in heavy snow fall and heavy rain, smoke, etc.

I think it can happen, but we have a way to go.

Reactions: Graham J
It appears Elon really wants FSD and he's keeping the pressure on. Tesla won't die without it as long as no other company offers it.

However, I think we need a few things to help make FSD work and current hardware isn't there.

The cars need to be networked with all nearby cars and share their intentions with each other. That would smooth traffic and reduce collisions. Cameras aren't enough for FSD and radar and or lidar will help. We need transponders in the road for when vision conditions are bad. Cameras, Radar and Lidar won't work in heavy snow fall and heavy rain, smoke, etc.

I think it can happen, but we have a way to go.
But hasnt Elon repeatedly sworn, that the hardware IS there?

Or is it that some people dont believe him? Hmm

His comment may partly be based on his realization that, while Tesla is clearly an innovator in mass production EVs, that position will grow less and less meaningful as they are overtaken in EV volume by the likes of Volkswagen - probably somewhere around 2024. So their technology edge will become more important, and right now that edge is primarily in autonomy, even though their lead there is dwindling as well.
Absolutely. I guess the antithesis of focusing on being a better car company is that once Tesla does have robotaxis will we even be the customers anymore? Maybe they won't need to be a better car company from a consumer perspective. The economics of an autonomous fleet might make things like build quality and driving features irrelevant. Maybe that explains a few things today ;)

The cars need to be networked with all nearby cars and share their intentions with each other.
Agreed, and I would add that autonomous-only lanes and routes will probably become the norm eventually as well. Hell we could probably have full autonomy today if we had that. It's a pity that such insanely complex software is needed today when the problem space of the future may be much more limited.