Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon in Munich on Jan 30, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
he said that at the last Munich event. Nothing new here. But to answer your question, yes. AFAIK I thought EU already had 135kW charging at all the stations...

That's actually big news and good to know. There has been much speculation about this but now we know for sure that Gen III supercharging will be free to use.

so much for holding off on any more announcements until later. basically announcing what your announcement is going to be about sort of gives it away... dohhhh

We might have quick stations, however getting more then 110kw out of it has not been done by anybody at least here in the Netherlands...

Summary of the paraphrased points:
JB (On AWD Model X, misheard question to be about Model S): Not giving too much away; but will be the best AWD in the world with exciting possibilities in traction control, stability control etc. Right now we're not looking at adapting AWD into the Model S.
The question was indeed about Model S. To me it seemed like JB was navigating around something with his answer. He mentioned the great possibility to mount a motor in the front and the great driving capabilities such an AWD version Model S would have. But then he moved on to Model X to mention Model X will have AWD. To my opinion his answer was neither a strikt no nor a definite yes, he tried to answer without saying anything definitely. Especially as Elon was not on stage at that moment and JB answered on his own.

To my opinion the biggest deal is the leasing they will provide together with SIXT.
The exceptional part is, they pay you for the premium (couple of cents per kWh) for charging the car by using energy from renewables.
And they pay you the premium you pay for the electricity you use in your house and daily living as well (to a certain limit).
Just for switching to renewables.
This will put an end to the "long tailpipe" discussion in Germany (people here love this topic;) ), this is very positive!

And thanks again at Nik for the stream!

Free long-distance trave for ALL FUTURE VEHICLES!!!

Meaning not only Generation3, but also the Tesla EV models AFTER Generation3.

That's a good point.

To support hundreds of thousands of Tesla cars, many of whose owners are not awash with cash and could do with a free charge-up, there will need to be a great deal more charging stations than what are out there now.

Tesla Motors will set up a separate division to install charging stations. For power, they will be 100% or near-100% self-supporting, via solar or geothermal.

Tesla charging stations will probably appear at inner city parking places. Savvy chainstores e.g. Walmart/Target will work deals with Tesla to place charging stations in their parking lots. Some stores may simply "buy" the charging equipment as a business decision.

The Tesla socket and its 135+kW charging capability will become ubiquitous... dominating over the other ChaDemO stuff.

Other manufacturers will be forced to adopt!!!

When did he say that? I hope they aren't. 500 miles is completely unnecessary. In fact, I am fairly sure every executive comment I've heard has been that they *aren't* working on a 500 mile battery. Elon has said that it would be possible to make a 500 mile car right now, but that it would be terrible, because it would be nothing but batteries and cost a fortune. This will always be the case with a 500 mile vs. a ~200 mile car. The 500 mile will need probably three times as many batteries, which means the battery is three times more expensive, the car is 50% heavier, etc. etc. etc. And it would give exactly *zero* additional utility when superchargers are taken into account, or maybe like .05% additional utility when they aren't (given that probably less than .05% of vehicles are driven in the 200-500 mile range on a daily basis).

This is so so so wrong. Imagine worst case scenarios. You like to drive 80+mph. Through the mountains. With a ski rack. In 0F weather. AND you like to take regular day trips to go to ski country. Maybe you also like to have a little fun on snow covered roads. You get to park in a parking lot that has little except for snow in it, so no charging. You're already in the ~150 mile range from your "300 mile" pack, and you might have made it there ONE WAY with a 100% charge. Maybe.

Let's not even get into autobahn speeds.

Need a 1000 mile battery pack, assuming you'll get 30-40% of that in actual driving, not prius-style putt-putting.

You all are burying the Lede... "Auto Pilot"?? He isn't seriously talking about self-driving cars, or something similar? (I didn't watch the video)

Yeah, I think this will be pretty big. Forget the adaptive cruise control... we have a self-driving car! :biggrin:

Turning one of their weaknesses into one of their biggest strengths. It's such a Tesla way of doing things.

At Teslive Elon said that he expected autopilot would evolve over time, starting with automation assistance and gradually evolving to full auto drive. So maybe he's planning on announcing the "first steps"?

I hope so. Getting the hardware and basics in would help eliminate an area in which they lag. AWD (Model X) plus driver assistance plus widespread Supercharger network is the trifecta on utility and then it's onto Gen 3.