Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently Elon Mode exists and reduces DM nag. If someone has a dump of the FW, send it my way and let’s see if there’s a way to trigger it from the GUI.
All you have to do is set the AutopilotHands variable permanently equal to either 1 or preferably 2. 1 is generated when you either jiggle or provide a slight torque to prevent a nag. 2 is normal driving. 3 occurs when a nag is generated. If you don't immediately flip the variable to 1, Autopilot will disengage.

The present version of CanServer can only read variables, else I would have tried fiddling with this myself. It is possible for a connected device to write values to specific variables because the S3XY button system does just that.

All you have to do is set the AutopilotHands variable permanently equal to either 1 or preferably 2. 1 is generated when you either jiggle or provide a slight torque to prevent a nag. 2 is normal driving. 3 occurs when a nag is generated. If you don't immediately flip the variable to 1, Autopilot will disengage.

The present version of CanServer can only read variables, else I would have tried fiddling with this myself. It is possible for a connected device to write values to specific variables because the S3XY button system does just that.
Are you talking about a CAN MITM attack? I mainly just want to find a way to enable Elon Mode locally before it gets harder to do.

My sense on this is that you have to introduce a device on the bus to modify the signal real time to achieve the desired outcome. I suspect this is how TSLA themselves do it as well. Allowing a mode like this to be enabled via software is very likely to draw the attention of NTSB and other consumer safety watchdogs.
I'm afraid that Tesla might consider insulating their firmware by preventing 3rd party bus devices from overwriting certain variables. As long as such devices, like the S3XY button system, had limited capabilities, Tesla seemed to ignore the ability of the buttons to alter the car's behavior. Once the line is crossed where a device can override safety features, that's when Tesla might react.

I'm afraid that Tesla might consider insulating their firmware by preventing 3rd party bus devices from overwriting certain variables. As long as such devices, like the S3XY button system, had limited capabilities, Tesla seemed to ignore the ability of the buttons to alter the car's behavior. Once the line is crossed where a device can override safety features, that's when Tesla might react.
Agree - it is a very slippery slope.

cite: on "Elon mode"
What I don't get is Green's comment, "It also helped that I did not need to watch for the dreaded nag." Why do you need to "watch" for the lag? If you apply constant torque to the steering wheel, you never see a nag regardless, so no need to watch for a nag. Does this imply Green doesn't understant how to properly hold the wheel?

Last edited:
What I don't get is Green's comment, "It also helped that I did not need to watch for the dreaded nag." Why do you need to "watch" for the lag? If you apply constant torque to the steering wheel, you never see a nag regardless, so no need to watch for a nag. Does this imply Green doesn't understant how to properly hold the wheel?
He, like many, probably do not keep their hand on the wheel. Especially on the interstate, I don't...it's like 2 min between nags. I just periodically apply pressure.

I find I have to watch for it, if I hang my hand from the wheel it sometimes doesn't detect it (this started after an update in the late fall/early winter last year)

seems to not detect hand if you don't vary the pull on the wheel or pull hard enough, certainly annoying

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot and GtiMart
If its so easy, why does Elon have his own mode with zero nags?
Because the purpose of the nags is to discourage the 23 idiots who would do dangerous things with FSDb if they could. They know that Elon Musk is not one of them, so he gets a pass. I suspect that the development team also gets a pass. You and I do not because the development team doesn't know if we're of the group of 23 out of 400,000 people who are idiots.

I suspect that the YouTubers don't get a pass because as soon as they're seen driving around without a nag, everyone would want to eliminate the nag as well.

Because the purpose of the nags is to discourage the 23 idiots who would do dangerous things with FSDb if they could. ...
More than 23 idiots. A lot of people just aren't paranoid or trained properly on driving. Some people are good at going into low power mode. I have "fallen asleep" while using FSD, with my eyes open and my hands on the wheel. I feel surprised when I wake up ten seconds later and have been teleported somewhere else and don't know where I am for a few seconds.

It’s so easy to just hang your hand on the wheel as it were a weight. It’s the simplest want to enable “Elon mode.”
It would be easier if there were a spoke around the 7:30-8:00 position, where my hand naturally "wants" to sit on a long drive. My 2003 Focus was great for this, I'd put two fingers (each hand) through the "holes" and rest on the lower spokes:
52142739.jpg

But so far in the two weeks I've had the MY I have yet to find a really comfortable place to rest my hand when AP is active. Up high enough to mostly prevent nags, and my arm gets tired. Down low enough to get comfortable and there's not enough torque, so I get nagged. Got a road trip to Atlanta this weekend so we'll see if maybe I can figure it out.

I don't really need FSD*, Summon, autopark, NoA, etc. but nag-less basic autopilot with manual lane changes (either change on command, or automatically reengage) would be really nice.

*now if it's real, true L5 driving,..

Why so? Arent there other manufacturers who allow no nag at all right now..today..with their driver assist systems?
Optics. Tesla produces a few million EVs a year and it is their only automotive product. There are a number of existing complaints and concerns about autopilot that have captured media and regulatory attention. Tesla is large enough base of vehicles on the road that in essence a single misstep could be more visible than say a lucid or rivian mix up that is quickly patched with software before there was a mishap on the road.

This is from the guy on Twitter that discovered the embedded code and created the term "Elon Mode".

"@greentheonly
Jun 16
It's a special AP mode where there are no nags. The braking is less intense and probably some other changes under the hood I did not fully explore.

@Raldi616
Jun 16
Fascinating. I assume one cannot just enable this mode. You gotta know someone.

@greentheonly
That's probably the easiest way. You just have to know the right people. My method is hard."

My sense on this is that you have to introduce a device on the bus to modify the signal real time to achieve the desired outcome. I suspect this is how TSLA themselves do it as well. Allowing a mode like this to be enabled via software is very likely to draw the attention of NTSB and other consumer safety watchdogs.
I agree. This is probably done via a USB key.