Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Model X Q2 Production 1,000 per week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with this analogy is that it presumes that Tesla has not improved the process in the last 4 years. I don't think the Model S launch should be used as a benchmark for the X as it should be better having utilized lessons learned. again JMO though...

I agree. JMO: TM should be maturing as a manufacturing company and should have learned from the model S ramp. This should have resulted in a better ramp and as EM indicated (my words, his sentiment) 'an exponential ramp'......We have yet to see this exponential ramp, AFAIK, five months + after the reveal.

As someone new to Tesla - what was ramp up speed for the S?
Tesla Motors Delivered a few of the Model S in June 2012, and by the end of the year the final car had reached 2,600+ Customers. Depending upon how you count it, that was managed in about six or seven months. Considering the late September 2015 launch of Model X, we are just five months into the process. Keep in mind that they had around 10,000 Reservations outstanding in June 2012... But had 13,000 Reservations by January 2013. It was considered a milestone when the company was able to Produce Model S at as much as 700 units per week.

The problem with this analogy is that it presumes that Tesla has not improved the process in the last 4 years. I don't think the Model S launch should be used as a benchmark for the X as it should be better having utilized lessons learned
A very good point. I was among those that expected Tesla Motors would be able to ramp up distribution of Model X much faster than they did Model S. I thought a lowball figure would have been 10,000+ by Christmas 2015... And reality has been far worse.

I agree. JMO: TM should be maturing as a manufacturing company and should have learned from the model S ramp. This should have resulted in a better ramp and as EM indicated (my words, his sentiment) 'an exponential ramp'......We have yet to see this exponential ramp, AFAIK, five months + after the reveal.
I believe the maturity they have gained has allowed them to realize they must focus on Quality Control over Abundant Quantity with Model X. That seems to have been a wise decision, given the supposed issues they have had to deal with thus far.
New day, different problems?:confused:
Indeed. The challenges they have faced with Model X may appear to be similar to those of early Model S, but there are significant differences, I believe. Had the Model X been as relatively 'simple' as early RWD Model S, the problems would have been fewer. But every option, every system, every sensor compounds the complexity of manufacturing and supply lines that much more.

@socalsam

Where Tesls makes the majority of what goes into the it doesn't make all. As an example is the Falcon Wing doors were only brought in house last fall when the vender couldn't provide a satisfactory product. When we were at the factory we were provided the % of product made from raw material and what is outsourced but since I don't have the exact figure I won't give a number. I know the touch screens were being made by nVidia. If you think they make things like, tires, bolts, nuts and many other parts you are wrong. The percent outsourced compared to other car manufactured is low but it is still a big factor.
Just because a supplier works on it doesn't mean it out of your control. Nothing stops you from sending one of you engineers there every week/month and checking on the status. Checking the prototypes, testing, simulations etc.