Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Confirms Made-In-Texas Model Y Will Be 4680-Powered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help me understand your comment. I am not familiar with all things Tesla. Are you suggesting that the single piece casting is already in use and this is what enabled the availability of the 7 seat option? It was my understanding that the new single casting would begin in China and then only in the US with Austin Texas built cars. I’m happier if you’re correct where it’s in production now.

The single piece rear casting, which was first seen on December 2020 deliveries from Fremont, was a production block for the 7 seat option. There likely wasn't a fundamental reason for tying those together, just that the factory didn't want to modify the older two piece tooling when the new single piece tooling already had the changed contour and seat/seat-belt mounting points in the design.

Damm, I really want to get MYp but now after reading all posts, I guess it's better to wait until the end of the year.
What are the chances that they already installing 4680s but just keeping it lowkey?

There's an archaic phrase (HAHA 14th century) ,"...all things being equal..." that would be used when trying to determine the future.

With the intellectual brilliance, and eccentrically mercurial character, of Elon Musk, there is never a moment when "all things being equal" is true. Add to that, the instability of our country, politically, and I think it's impossible to predict the future of ANYTHING, especially the trajectory of Tesla corporate decisions.

Anyone who is waiting for a refreshed Model Y, possibly with 4680 cells, is simply delaying their own gratification, which is, in fact, enviable. "Good for the soul", "builds character.", etc. etc. In the meantime, we current owners will be driving around with big smiles.

...carry on...

Reactions: house9
If they’re 12-18 months from volume production and it’s starting in the Y first, it could easily be 2+ years before it’s in a 3. That’s a long delay. Depending on how long you keep your car (I’m on a 3-3.5 yr cycle), it would be almost time for the next one by then if you stuck with your current plan. Significant risk, planning a purchase based on speculation. ;-)
Do you lease all of your cars?

So many experts and insiders here.
I mean the design of 4680 cells and the Model Y rear and front mega casting all were literally made to support a quicker ramp of production. We already know that Model Y's are being made in Austin in the coming weeks to test the machinery and train workers, barring any major issues, Model Y's are seemingly more and more likely to begin actual production sometime in October/November. Unless something drastically changes I won't be shocked to see increasing news supporting this up to some official "refresh" of the Y coming to light later this year in Q3 as they start coming off the line.