Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Confirms Tesla Full Self-Driving Subscriptions Coming Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should allow transfer of FSD to a new Tesla for current FSD customers. Many have had this for years with little more than automatic lane changing sort of working. Perhaps if you pay full price you get 1-2 transfers in the first 7 years of ownership. If they allow 2 transfers, you could buy a new car every 3 years, so about 9 years of FSD.

Over the long run the subscription model will probably be the only option. Eventually they will say that FSD which you purchased up front is now complete -- all the new features will only appear in subscription. Will a 10 year old car really have the hardware needed? I do not see them continuously giving computer upgrades free of charge, much less other components that may be needed (new types of cameras? sensors? etc). Eventually every model year will have to have a date where features are frozen and if you want more you need a newer car.

Reactions: philw1776
In the future the upgrades will be more than just a computer. But if it's just a computer, it's doable and fairly cheap. It might pay off either to reduce staff or to redirect the staff that's working on portability across different platforms (HW2+2.5 and HW3) and give the AP computers for free.

You will also be able to buy FSD outright, and it seems Tesla would prefer you did that instead of paying a monthly subscription fee. If you’ve been watching all the videos that we’ve posted showing the adventures of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta program and you want to try it out for yourself, just have a bit...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/12/23/elon-musk-confirms-fsd-subscription-model/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Seeing as you apparently lose your purchase when you sell your car even though the receipt says purchase It is a very very bad deal to purchase FSD.
I’m having a“debate” with Tesla over its lies about FSD and have asked for a full refund as in the UK nothing in the FSD suite works properly and the drive part is dangerous.
Rather amusingly the car doesn’t understand English rather like Tesla. Bug reports are alway book reports and I don’t have an unusual voice.
I will involve Trading Standards and solicitors if I do not get a full refund.
In the future if the FSD software had been purchased and was carried over to future cars then it would be good value. Elon’s lies prove now that he is taking the Micky out of loyal customers.
Unless FSD improves massively nobody will lease it for long. I suspect it will never work properly and become the white elephant it is now.
Worryingly it will be the thing that hits shares hard at some point so the secret of timing selling shares will be interesting!
I was a fool to buy FSD but at the time it wasn’t made clear it was actually a lease for as long as you keep the car and Tesla can’t show me anything to say it was or even is actually a lease. The web site today says it’s a sale not a lease.
Love the car but Tesla as a company is a bloody disgrace.
Happy 2021.

I would never in a million years pay outright for FSD, but I may be willing to try it for a few months or on and off for road trips if that were an option. I don't need it most of the time.

oh, the reason FSD is an extra is because Tesla’s are safety tested without it on. If the cars were tested with FSD they’d never be allowed on the roads. Thanks Tesla.

There is a large “untapped” group of people who will never spend $10k on this. I am one of them. These folks will remain untapped in terms of giving more money to Tesla unless the subscription is reasonably priced and makes sense to them to make the jump. Elon simply saying it’s worth it, isn’t enough.
I’d probably try the sub if it were $200 or less, although I’d prefer a a la carte auto lane change as I care zero about anything else in the FSD package. It’ll be interesting to see what they do.

That is exactly what I want as well. Just want autolane change, nothing else, Summon doesn't mean anything to mean and I do not live near a big enough city for auto city street driving. I wish Tesla would do something like that.

Reactions: patnshan
I would never in a million years pay outright for FSD, but I may be willing to try it for a few months or on and off for road trips if that were an option. I don't need it most of the time.
I did but my decision was based on a purchase price of £5800 was a good investment for the future.
If I’d know it wasn’t a purchase and would be lost when the car was sold I would never have even thought about buying it.
Elon has lied to early adopters and unfortunately will suffer the consequences. Once bitten.....

Reactions: patnshan
As posted by another guy here, I am guess the price will be $150. I saw a youtube video that someone used the lease pricing of purchasing a tesla (regardless of model s/x/3/y), the leasing prices with and without the FSD have a difference of ~$150. If the price is too high, Tesla might just get people to try it but not hooked. I have M3P without FSD and I dont think that I would pay for $150 or higher if FSD does not drive me from point A to point B completely without me interfering it. Even right now based on good FSD beta video I have seen, I still think everyday-functional FSD is still quite far away.

Yes, it's a lot of money, but we don't regret paying for in, for our 2017 "3," or even its less-performing version in our 2014 "S." If price is a serious factor, then a Tesla without FSD is still wonderful, but with FSD, fabulous!

I would prefer that Tesla first solves all the quality issues and bring the missing functions before using resources for new models (plaid) where only a few are waiting for.
I have a very long list of most wanted functions i would expect to be in a 110.000€ car.
Very disappointed in Tesla.