Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk does "Ask Me Anything (AMA)" session on Reddit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Capture.PNG

No mention of Tesla. Orphaned Tesla.

I noticed that. He's not, so far, answered any Tesla-related questions, either. Or SolarCity for that matter, just SpaceX.

[–]StapleGun 77 points 53 minutes ago*
Hi Elon, I'm already saving up for my Model 3. Can share anything about the Model 3 that we don't already know?

[–]ElonMuskOfficial[S] 158 points 33 minutes ago
It won't look like other cars

- - - Updated - - -

That is so vague that it could mean anything. A Honda Civic doesn't look like other cars either!

Except for half of the compacts available in the US market.

Hi Elon, I'm already saving up for my Model 3. Can share anything about the Model 3 that we don't already know?

- - - Updated - - -

Not really. The 2-tier dash alters the shape of the car from the A-pillar forward. This was most pronounced in the 8th Generation models, which looked nothing like compacts from other companies.

- - - Updated - - -

I find this exciting. Is this the instruction he gave the design team which they are working on. Or have they already created the basic look and he is acknowledging job accomplished! I'm not comparing it at all to BMW's I3 look but as different as the BMW design is I'm expecting the Model 3 to also be controversial but in a good way. Definitely not a scaled down Model S which many are expecting.

I noticed that. He's not, so far, answered any Tesla-related questions, either. Or SolarCity for that matter, just SpaceX.

This is mainly because the only Tesla related questions that are towards the top are the one about Model 3 (currently the 4th highest comment), my 4 questions (currently the 23rd highest), and a self driving cars comment (currently the 28th highest comment). Most of the top comments are not Tesla related.

Not really. The 2-tier dash alters the shape of the car from the A-pillar forward. This was most pronounced in the 8th Generation models, which looked nothing like compacts from other companies.

Really.The two tier dash itself looks weird. Everything else about 8th Gen Civic looks cookie cutter.

The interior of the Model S looks unique. No problem there. People know it,accept it and sells well.

But it has a conventional exterior.

Elon telling us it will look like no other car on the road I think he means the exterior will be different. Telling us the interior will look like no other car on the road would be redundant as I think no one expects the Model 3 interior to look conventional.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm expecting the Model 3 to also be controversial but in a good way.

When it comes to mass market vehicles that the OEM is expecting to sell in 350k units plus per year there is no such thing. Controversy means a large and possibly a majority of the buying public don't like it. Which is always bad.

Sometimes on rare occasion, an 86 Ford Taurus or Gen II Prius comes to mind, initial controversy gives way to wide acceptance. That is a risky proposition.

This is mainly because the only Tesla related questions that are towards the top are the one about Model 3 (currently the 4th highest comment), my 4 questions (currently the 23rd highest), and a self driving cars comment (currently the 28th highest comment). Most of the top comments are not Tesla related.

My take away from such title: it is clear where his heart is.

It could be that he can not talk about Tesla as it is a public company, whilst Space X is not.

Keep in mind that the design intent behind everything Tesla is to "look cool". And if you look at SpaceX it is the same... To the point where the design intend for Dragon V2 was that it look like a proper almost alien spaceship and the spacesuits (which we haven't seen yet) has a requirement to look "badass".

They have also talked repeatedly about not looking like a golf cart or other crazy designs when referencing previous models. And if you hear the story about their decisions surrounding what body style to go with for the roadster they had everyone vote based on looks.

So. That all being said if it looks terrible then that was be very un-Tesla and un-Elon. I have no doubt that the Model 3 will look just as cool as everyone dreams it should. It can be different and still look cool. Why is it that the 2 seated sports cars are all capable of looking wholly unique and there is no mistaking a Ferrari from a lambo from a porshe to a lotus but when you get into sedans... And then even worse compact sedans they instantly all look just about the same minus like one piece of flair on the car that makes it " stand out" so you know, that's a Honda, and that's a BMW, and that's a Toyota... Why? The distinct feature of a BMW is the front grill. They didn't put thought into the rest of the sedan style... In fact they just make the grill a smaller version of the higher end BMWs... Boring... Why can't you have something that looks cool while not being the same as every other compact sedan out there?

Keep in mind that the design intent behind everything Tesla is to "look cool". And if you look at SpaceX it is the same... To the point where the design intend for Dragon V2 was that it look like a proper almost alien spaceship and the spacesuits (which we haven't seen yet) has a requirement to look "badass".

They have also talked repeatedly about not looking like a golf cart or other crazy designs when referencing previous models. And if you hear the story about their decisions surrounding what body style to go with for the roadster they had everyone vote based on looks.

So. That all being said if it looks terrible then that was be very un-Tesla and un-Elon. I have no doubt that the Model 3 will look just as cool as everyone dreams it should. It can be different and still look cool. Why is it that the 2 seated sports cars are all capable of looking wholly unique and there is no mistaking a Ferrari from a lambo from a porshe to a lotus but when you get into sedans... And then even worse compact sedans they instantly all look just about the same minus like one piece of flair on the car that makes it " stand out" so you know, that's a Honda, and that's a BMW, and that's a Toyota... Why? The distinct feature of a BMW is the front grill. They didn't put thought into the rest of the sedan style... In fact they just make the grill a smaller version of the higher end BMWs... Boring... Why can't you have something that looks cool while not being the same as every other compact sedan out there?

It could be that design constraints push most of the cars into a similar shape. There are not so many ways to put together 4 wheels, body with 2-4 doors and windows, engine (ice) etc and be reasonably aerodynamic.

[–]ghostrider176 174 points an hour ago

1) What is your favorite airplane?
2) What is your favorite video game?
3) What is your favorite food?
4) If you consume alcohol, what is your favorite alcoholic drink?
[–]ElonMuskOfficial 112 points 9 minutes ago
SR-71
Hard to pick a favorite. I tend to like FPS with a story, like Bioshock, Fallout or Mass Effect, but was also a big fan of Civ and Warcraft.
French and BBQ
Whiskey

Today I learned that I am Elon.

BRB, going to eat some Carolina pulled pork with a nice Chateau Latour '61 and some Pappy Van Winkle 15-year while playing Fallout under my SR-71 poster.

Today I learned that I am Elon.

BRB, going to eat some Carolina pulled pork with a nice Chateau Latour '61 and some Pappy Van Winkle 15-year while playing Fallout under my SR-71 poster.

Today I learned we are all Elon.

[–]TCEchicago 1896 points 3 hours ago
What daily habit do you believe has the largest positive impact on your life?
[–]ElonMuskOfficial[F,S] 3116 points 2 hours ago
Showering

Last edited: