Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk once mocked China’s BYD. Now it’s running circles around Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The BYD electric car that Elon "laughed at" was introduced about 12 years ago. It was hardly completion for the Nissan Leaf, much less the Model S. BYD brought a hybrid car with a cutaway powertrain to the Detroit Auto Show ("North American International Auto Show) back in that era. I was amazed by how crude it was, in both its hybrid transmission architecture and the quality of the parts.

That was then. This is now. BYD has made remarkable progress. They deserve much respect. Elon has acknowledged this by his remarks, and by use of BYD's excellent "Blade" LFP battery pack in Berlin built Model Y RWD models.

GSP

Reactions: DougNuts
The BYD electric car that Elon "laughed at" was introduced about 12 years ago. It was hardly completion for the Nissan Leaf, much less the Model S. BYD brought a hybrid car with a cutaway powertrain to the Detroit Auto Show ("North American International Auto Show) back in that era. I was amazed by how crude it was, in both its hybrid transmission architecture and the quality of the parts.

That was then. This is now. BYD has made remarkable progress. They deserve much respect. Elon has acknowledged this by his remarks, and by use of BYD's excellent "Blade" LFP battery pack in Berlin built Model Y RWD models.

GSP
I do find some of the Chinese EV's interesting.

The MG (SAIC) Marvel X and Marvel R have an interior that I would chose over the Y and they had many leading design ideas all the way back in 2018

I also very seriously Considered a Geely / Volvo XC 40 before buying the YP . The Closest Volvo dealer would have been an 800 + mile round trip for service which was just to far.

BYD, a carmaker Musk once laughed at, overtook Tesla at the end of last year as the top seller of electric vehicles on the planet (Tesla overtook it in the first quarter of this year, but they’re neck and neck). And now it’s giving Toyota a run for its money, unveiling a new hybrid powertrain that BYD says is capable of taking you from New York to Miami without refueling.

Story here:
You have to keep in mind that BYD has lower cost vehicles, so they are selling a lot while not competing directly with Tesla. If Elon hadn't messed up and canceled the $25k vehicle a couple of years ago, BYD might well have been in trouble as Tesla launched a more affordable EV.

Hybrids are a dead end, so I don't really pay attention to those.

Just returned from a trip to China. BYDs are all over the place. Can your Tesla do this?
IMG_6944.jpeg