Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news and boring news. I found out who Montana Skeptic is - he is indeed a former commercial litigations lawyer, now managing a family office for an eccentric billionaire (nice job of you can get it!)

Now the boring part - no connection whatsoever to Jim Chanos directly nor any big oil connections despite having practiced law in Houston, Texas. Just boring commercial litigation stuff mostly for property developers. I have even listened to him arguing a (boring) case in court and it matches with the voice in the QTR podcast.

His antipathy to Tesla seems to be ideological. He has donated heavily to another lost cause - 2012 Mitt Romney campaign. Follows usual Republican weirdos on Twitter etc.

Overall, a pretty harmless guy with a lot of free time.
So the eccentric billionaire isn't even oil-connected. That's kind of boring, yes.

So the eccentric billionaire isn't even oil-connected. That's kind of boring, yes.

Nope. Although, MS has invested his boss's money (< $10 mil) in an energy investment fund with a very sketchy past, that purport to drill for oil in the gulf. Also, not sure if he has parked some funds with Kynikos associates.

Here is a small voice sample to put you to sleep.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and JRP3
Hello SPadival,

you found the right guy, however you must have found another investment.

One oil platform investment fund alone (that was very recently renewed) now totals US$95M.
The private fund is in the $B+ size. One can only guess what other investments are done.

Skeptic-of-Montana

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
We are at a point in history where the monopoly on information dissemination is crumbling. This is why the “fake news vs real news” is a major theme. Why? Not because their is more fake news, it’s because we have alternatives to controlled news discrimination of information as we’ve known it to exist.

I hear "fake news!" in context of mainstream media a lot (in fact, majority of time), contradicting your claim it was invented by mainstream media against independent ones*. I simply view it as mudslinging between kettles and pots of all kinds. This term gained notoriety in last years, but actually fake news are as old as news themself.

* I really hope you don't think alt-media are more credible just because they are independent from mainstream.

I hear "fake news!" in context of mainstream media a lot (in fact, majority of time), contradicting your claim it was invented by mainstream media against independent ones*. I simply view it as mudslinging between kettles and pots of all kinds. This term gained notoriety in last years, but actually fake news are as old as news themself.

* I really hope you don't think alt-media are more credible just because they are independent from mainstream.
In the past, news was filtered by those entities that had control over mass distribution to the public. The public snapped open their news papers and clicked on their news channels on tv. What we knew about the world was given to us through them. Therefore, our opinions on things were as good as the information we were given. As a result, these few media sources could shape the debate, frame the argument, and occupy our much mind space on contemporary matters.

However, now, we see a broadening of access to raw reports and direct source information through the internet, which allows for greater perspective outside the previously dominant filtering system, which breaks the traditional framing of the argument, shaping of the debate.

As there can be fake news from both alternative and main stream media, we now have a greater ability through this broad access to raw information to determine what is credible and was is not, which was never available until recent years. This ability to discern allows for the potential to create a better check and balance on credibility, which can help shape market completion for consumer clicks/fees/listens, thus the rise, in internet distributed news outlets on YouTube, Twitter, etc to compete for your attention... again, something that had never existed before in media system until recently.

As this new access becomes more broadly utilized among the broad market, mass public, we the people begin to be less dependent on middle people for interpretation of source material to directly capable of interpreting the source ourselves in a timely fashion. He are no longer dependent on others to shape our opinions we now have greater control over fashioning our own independently.

This is a massive shift and we living the transition right now. The idea of fake news is as old as time, however we have far more capability of spotting it as individuals then arguably anytime in history.

Before “Fake News!,” there were conservatives complaining about the “lame-stream media.”

Before that, there were liberals complaining about “Faux News.”

Before that, there were conservatives complaining about liberal media bias.

Before that, there were liberals complaining about a vast right-wing conspiracy.

Before that, I was too young to be paying attention to such nonsense.

Ah, I miss my youth...

Before “Fake News!,” there were conservatives complaining about the “lame-stream media.”

Before that, there were liberals complaining about “Faux News.”

Before that, there were conservatives complaining about liberal media bias.

Before that, there were liberals complaining about a vast right-wing conspiracy.

Before that, I was too young to be paying attention to such nonsense.

Ah, I miss my youth...
Ah, to have pain free knees again...

The frame has been republican vs Democrat or liberal vs conservative.

Now we have the capability to construct opinions outside this frame we used to only have access to for information.

We are living in a time when this frame is cracking, we can judge raw data or source information in seconds on our devices for ourselves which elevates our ability to evaluate credibility of that east/west, repub/demo, conservative/liberal fitler. Instead of being funneled into one team or the other, we know can expand that market place of ideas to a broader market of credibility, which fosters greater competition for your attention based on the value of who can produce high quality news content.

So the emerging frame is consumer sided — and controlled— as “credible vs not credible, trustworthy vs not trustworthy” ...not conservative vs liberal as traditionally we’ve had our mind space bombarded/blanketed with thru controlled/limited access... which as a result of this shift, leads to higher quality information for us to evaluate as valuable or not within our lives.

Last edited:
I am going to make a wild prediction and say he’s buying a lot of Tesla stock soon.

A perfect storm has been set up for offensive market buying by Elon. not happy with the sabotage and unjustly malicious short and media personalities. He’s also stated since the big layoff, severance packages include early vesting. Also, the profitability of 5k is a market milestone, investor confindence moment opportunity here.

Lastly, Elon is making substantial money this year from spacex, with something like 20+ launches. He’s got the funds available to buy into this momentum. With missing his brother Kimbal’s wedding in Spain and having to spend his birthday at the factory, all the more motivation to make like difficult for the shorts.