Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JRP,
Not sure "Tesla customers and supporters lean more liberal...". It could be that the less liberal types simply lead a quieter life :)

density.png

The hatred for Tesla crosses a wide variety of spectrum. Actually Foxnews - the first outlet I would have on my list of suspects - has toned down, and it is CNBC and CNN and NYT and the likes are taking center stage in attacking Tesla.

Regarding Business Insider's Tesla coverage, I haven't seen anything from Linette Lopez since she went on CNBC and referred to Tesla as 'a 50 million dollar company' 10 days ago and her BI story on the 'critical brake test' 18 days ago.

Between then and now BI's Tesla stories have had both some substance and some balance.

As for Musk hit pieces, the one in today's New York Post takes the cake.

Regarding Business Insider's Tesla coverage, I haven't seen anything from Linette Lopez since she went on CNBC and referred to Tesla as 'a 50 million dollar company' 10 days ago and her BI story on the 'critical brake test' 18 days ago.

Between then and now BI's Tesla stories have had both some substance and some balance.

As for Musk hit pieces, the one in today's New York Post takes the cake.

I posted this is the main TSLA thread, but seems appropriate here too...

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

Basically, there's at least one decent person covering TSLA at Business Insider.

I think it's foolish to pretend there is no political component. It's no secret that Tesla customers and supporters lean more liberal in general and that the powerful forces working against Tesla and alternative energy are more conservative. The core mission of Tesla is to move us to sustainable energy use and the Republican president is pushing for more coal and oil, and the Koch brothers aren't exactly considered liberals.

When it comes to haters of Tesla, I think most are just worried that the disruption will hurt their personal finances, be it as investors or employees, with the second category just unwilling to accept that there are smart people who are able to make the world better.

As for liberals, I will quote political commentator Stephen Colbert's direct words to a US President: "reality has a well-known liberal bias". :)

I don’t know about political affiliation, but Tesla haters seem harsh and mean. I think Tesla fans are nonpartisan, a little surprisingly so. There a serious Trump supporters in the sire and guys like lord of stocks is conservative but pro Tesla.
Careful with typecasting. I’m trying to understand what creates the hate and love, and I don’t think it’s simple politics.
Here I am more concerned with trolling tactics than political orientation. Deplorables were a troll army. That's how they functioned.

The only car columnist ever to win a Pulitzer has been compelled to abruptly leave a major social media platform. He was last seen there defending his honest review of a product of a relatively new car company, one that does not purchase advertising.
Interests with major stakes in the company’s failure are still active on the platform, celebrating.

Wait. Did you get any of that?
The only car columnist ever to win a Pulitzer has been compelled to abruptly leave a major social media platform. He was last seen there defending his honest review of a product of a relatively new car company, one that does not purchase advertising.
Interests with major stakes in the company’s failure are still active on the platform, celebrating. Gloating. Smirking.

I am not hearing about this on any of the advertising-supported media platforms.

...Wondering Why?

Interests with major stakes in the company’s failure are still active on the platform, celebrating.

Interests with major stakes in the company’s failure are still active on the platform, celebrating. Gloating. Smirking.

I am not hearing about this on any of the advertising-supported media platforms.

...Wondering Why?

it’s a pretty big deal!
surreal. they’re basically cyber bullies facing no authority...seemingly unbeatable at this point. nobody has the beans to do anything about them, let alone hold them accountable.

...seemingly unbeatable at this point. nobody has the beans to do anything about them, let alone hold them accountable

This post cheered me up. Because the bean counters will speak their piece, I expect the S&P to welcome a new ticker symbol, and all Tesla has to do at this point is execute.

Peak FUD is so last week. Whether or not Kochs or Tucker-ers make a Dan kneel.

...Wondering Why?
Yep, this is exactly what commercial trolling is about. They will harass any journalist who dares to publish truth that may offend them. They will bully that journalist into withdrawing from the public arena.

I'm a progressive, and listen to a couple of progressive podcasts. One of them, the people there loathe Elon Musk.

The thing is, I get the impression it's a matter of personality. They were the "cool kids" in high school and university, who never took math or science beyond what was compulsory in school. They've openly stated that learning math was useless. I get the impression he just triggers their "I want to stuff that nerd into a locker" instinct.

They do have some ideological positions I agree with, but then they just make specious arguments which are uninformed.

This whole thread is very interesting.
I posted on another site about the phantom drain of the model 3 . I took possession of a model 3 in june and it was experiencing about 5% drain per day. I finally narrowed it down to the 3rd party app i was using which kept the car awake. Once telsa support suggested changing the password to force disconnect, the drain went down to less than 1% per day. One of the posters was suggesting that a short seller could bankroll the app to do that to get negative press, it is a small thing but could produce a big negative .

Never mind the backlog... Go drive the car and you quickly will realize it will do for its class what the S did against the Audi, BMW and MB sedans. The difference is the size of the 3 market versus big dollar large sedans. Tesla hit a home run with this one and, just like with initial MS and MX quality issues, they will get production sorted and no one will remember the rocky/delayed start.