Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then WHY are there ports for 3 more cameras? EM says no part is better than a part Also, when EM first introduced HW3 in early 2019, he said it was designed in house and it had full redundancy
My guess is for the Cybertruck and other future vehicles. Adding a port is cheap compared to having a different boards for different vehicles. Elon says a lot of things...

Reports are in that a trade-in will not be required, you can just move FSD to a new vehicle purchase: How to get your free FSD transfer - trade-in not required [Update]

Full terms:
1689880116310.png

This is just a horrible policy
Talk about a customer-first idea! This is amazing and I bet they will see a fairly good take rate especially any owners that have a 2020 car or older that have been eyeing a new car.
What? This is a Tesla first policy and horrible for customers. What about all the people that bought 15k FSD twice now? What about everyone else that is not ready to buy a new car in the next two months? This is just a money grab to shut up all the long term FSD holders that have received none of the promises for the last 3 years, and boost Q3 sales when they need it.

Just do the right thing and give a one time transfer to ALL FSD customers while FSD is still in beta and no where near production ready.

There is one thing in the terms that bothers me:

The Full Self Driving capability can only be transferred once and so cannot be transferred to another vehicle or to another person even if the vehicle is privately sold.

So if you transfer your FSD, it goes away if you sell the vehicle. But I suspect it is a mistake because they copy/pasted the terms from the FUSC->6 years of free Supercharging program and just did a find/replace. So they may fix that.

This is just a horrible policy

What? This is a Tesla first policy and horrible for customers. What about all the people that bought 15k FSD twice now? What about everyone else that is not ready to buy a new car in the next two months? This is just a money grab to shut up all the long term FSD holders that have received none of the promises for the last 3 years, and boost Q3 sales when they need it.

Just do the right thing and give a one time transfer to ALL FSD customers while FSD is still in beta and no where near production ready.
Thought you posted that you paid 6k. Did it increase in value?

There is one thing in the terms that bothers me:

So if you transfer your FSD, it goes away if you sell the vehicle. But I suspect it is a mistake because they copy/pasted the terms from the FUSC->6 years of free Supercharging program and just did a find/replace. So they may fix that.

Points #4 and #6 in the screenshot you shared both look like they are going to generate a Cluster!@$#$!@$ if they actually go through with / enforce those.

#4, if actually followed through on, appears to create an entirely new class of FSD vehicles on the Used car market, that being "car has FSD but it wont transfer even in a private party sale". This contradicts pretty much all the guidance / instructions people have currently for used Teslas, which is "To ensure the feature stays, it needs to be a private party sale and the car needs to currently have that feature".

#6 basically says that if they remove FSD (that you paid for and own) off your current vehicle and you cant take delivery of the new one for (reasons), you will not get FSD (that you paid for) back on your current vehicle.

I mean, I see that they are trying to close potential loopholes (because people will always try to abuse a policy once its put in place) but these two things are pretty horrible, unless I am missing something.

#4, if actually followed through on, appears to create an entirely new class of FSD vehicles on the Used car market, that being "car has FSD but it wont transfer even in a private party sale". This contradicts pretty much all the guidance / instructions people have currently for used Teslas, which is "To ensure the feature stays, it needs to be a private party sale and the car needs to currently have that feature".

Like I said I think, and hope, this was unintentional, as they copied the terms from a prior program where this restriction makes sense. But yes, it would certainly make a mess of things.

#6 basically says that if they remove FSD (that you paid for and own) off your current vehicle and you cant take delivery of the new one for (reasons), you will not get FSD (that you paid for) back on your current vehicle.
People didn't seem to have a problem with this term/restriction in the FUSC -> 6 years of free Supercharging promotion. (Though some were a little worried as FUSC was removed from their old vehicle a little while before the 6 years got added to the new vehicle.) This is where a trade-in makes some thing easier.

Reactions: ABQP3D
Points #4 and #6 in the screenshot you shared both look like they are going to generate a Cluster!@$#$!@$ if they actually go through with / enforce those.

I mean, I see that they are trying to close potential loopholes (because people will always try to abuse a policy once its put in place) but these two things are pretty horrible, unless I am missing something.
According to this person who just went through the trade in process with FSD transfer, FSD is still transferable to the next owner when he sells privately:
So maybe this is a mistake in the T&C?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
According to this person who just went through the trade in process with FSD transfer, FSD is still transferable to the next owner when he sells privately:
So maybe this is a mistake in the T&C?

Thats not what the tweet you linked to said.

They said, specifically:

======================================
I know many are wondering about whether you can sell to a 3rd party and still transfer the FSD. Vivian
@Tesla
told me YES, you can do that. So that option is still available to me.
=====================================

"Sell to a third party and still transfer FSD" does not = "FSD transfer to the next owner when you sell the car you just got with transferred FSD on it to someone else", which is what point #4 specifically says.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Thats not what the tweet you linked to said.

They said, specifically:

======================================
I know many are wondering about whether you can sell to a 3rd party and still transfer the FSD. Vivian
@Tesla
told me YES, you can do that. So that option is still available to me.
=====================================

"Sell to a third party and still transfer FSD" does not = "FSD transfer to the next owner when you sell the car you just got with transferred FSD on it to someone else", which is what point #4 specifically says.
And you can't sell to a third-party and then transfer FSD. You have to complete the FSD transfer, and then you can sell the old vehicle.

Reactions: Ccsdk
... if you transfer your FSD, it goes away if you sell the vehicle. But I suspect it is a mistake because they copy/pasted the terms from the FUSC->6 years of free Supercharging program and just did a find/replace. So they may fix that.
I hope so.
4, if actually followed through on, appears to create an entirely new class of FSD vehicles on the Used car market, that being "car has FSD but it wont transfer even in a private party sale". This contradicts pretty much all the [prior] guidance...
Agreed, it's not a good policy as written. I could perhaps see, if they want to keep it, that they could attach a time limit like 90 or 180 days.

That would greatly mitigate the problem of flipping the new car with FSD, which I assume is the motivation for such a policy. And when I say it's a "problem", I think that's only if it were to happen in a substantial number of cases. A few flippers here and there aren't worth Tesla's concern, given the ill will and unfairness it imposes on good-faith customers.

I see a couple of bigger real problems lurking in here, that are unrelated to T&C point #4:
  1. Unscrupulous Tesla owners, who know exactly what they're doing, who sell their existing car privately and show the original FSD-included documentation or even "demonstrate" the FSD to the private party buyer - knowing that it's about to be removed and transferred to the seller's incoming new Tesla.
  2. Customers who sign up for this program but, for whatever reason cannot complete the delivery process by EOB September 30th. Due to Tesla's delay, or unavailability of the desired configuration, or due to unforeseen schedule emergencies etc. I think the program's expiration policy should be amended so that it covers all orders placed by September 30th, regardless of delivery date. Tesla could enforce that the offer becomes void if the customer reschedules or refuses delivery - to avoid the Rolling Rain-Check ploy.

I actually think that as long as FSD license is attached to the car, the FSD transfer program should not expire at all, but should become a permanent policy for anyone who bought FSD before it was announced. That would solve problem 2 above, but more generally I think it's fair considering the whole history of FSD development and early-adopter customers.

And further than that, I actually think FSD should be a portable license attached to the owner not the car, with manageable anti-abuse provisions. I'd like to be able to rent or borrow other Teslas, or choose which Tesla to drive in a multi-Tesla household, and still have FSD.

Last edited:
Unscrupulous Tesla owners, who know exactly what they're doing, who sell their existing car privately and show the original FSD-included documentation or even "demonstrate" the FSD to the private party buyer - knowing that it's about to be removed and transferred to the seller's incoming new Tesla.
This happens all the time with private party sales of various items - misrepresentation. With a car sale, at least there is much more legal paperwork, including title transfers with DMV. This makes it easier for the buyer to sue to the seller in small claims court to recoup the cost of FSD once they discover the fraud.

Part of me thinks that for now this may be a short term thing, but they are likely to offer it again. At some point the vehicles that have paid FSD under the "your car has all the hardware needed" plans, but don't actually have the hardware capable of providing the service will be rolling liabilities. Every owner who doesn't get moved into a new Tesla has a claim that Tesla hasn't delivered on what they paid for. There are already class action lawsuits brewing, and as much as I'm sure they would like to get out of it, there is enough money on the line that people aren't going to let this go. A full refund would probably cover them, but this program is almost certainly cheaper by a large margin than making everyone who has every paid for and not received FSD whole, or retrofitting all those cars, or running an ongoing engineering effort to make this incredibly challenging computer science problem actually work on multiple classes of hardware.