Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current Tesla s-show communications in this matter are as follows.

IMG_5138.jpeg

Anyone know if you can still use a referral code with the fsd transfer? Clause 4 says no, but many believes clause 4 is BS and wrong.
That runs into this portion of the referral program:

If an existing owner attempts to order through a referral link (whether their own or a friend’s), they will not qualify for referral credits, because the buyer is already part of the Tesla community. Instead, the owner automatically earns the buyer cash awards and exclusive referral benefits associated with the purchased product.

Reactions: RayB
@JulienW i re-read and I believe you are correct.
Funny/oddly now that I have reread it I starting to think I was wrong and you are right. Looks like if you decide to sell your new Tesla that had FSD transferred into it to an individual FSD will be (or could be) removed. If correct that does seem a little wrong since it was already removed from the car you sold it should stay with the new car like you bought it.

This whole policy sheet seems a little rushed and not fully thought out.

Of course no one can know (since we are talking Tesla). In all likelihood the factory shutdowns will only effect the Model 3.

Simple math fact for playing the odds. They are almost always more in your favor the closer to the end of a quarter we get.
I believe your right. I have decided between the MS and MY and will be replacing my early VIN MY with another Model Y but will wait to place the order until early September. I just don't see any reason to rush since there is always the chance Tesla will make an improvement to the Y between now and then. It's a bit a gamble since Tesla could also raise the price of a new Y and/or lower the trade in value.

I decided against the Model S simply because my wife and handicapped daughter would struggle getting in/out of the Model S since the roof line is 8" lower than the Y. Too bad since I was ready to pull the trigger on an Ultra Red with beige interior Model S until the demo drive.

Reports are in that a trade-in will not be required, you can just move FSD to a new vehicle purchase: How to get your free FSD transfer - trade-in not required [Update]

Full terms:
View attachment 958128
Where did this document come from? I haven't found anything on Tesla's website yet. The wording suggests it's being sent to Tesla owners who have FSD, but we haven't received this for our Model 3, which has FSD.

I'm still waiting for a definitive answer on whether this transfer includes EAP, which isn't addressed in the letter. If it does include EAP, we might upgrade our Model 3 to a Y. So far I've only seen speculation.

It's hard to imagine that this FSD transfer offer is only going to be limited to Q3. First of all, many people won't have a chance to take delivery before September 20th, unless they order their car in the next week or so. Second, If this does stimulate repeat buying, why would they not offer this again? Lastly, this offer may have to be offered in the future to people with H3 who won't be able, otherwise, to get the fully autonomous driving they were lead to believe they would have, but can't, because H3 is not upgradable to the required H4.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Where did this document come from? I haven't found anything on Tesla's website yet. The wording suggests it's being sent to Tesla owners who have FSD, but we haven't received this for our Model 3, which has FSD.

I'm still waiting for a definitive answer on whether this transfer includes EAP, which isn't addressed in the letter. If it does include EAP, we might upgrade our Model 3 to a Y. So far I've only seen speculation.

I am in the middle of a new purchase with an FSD trade-in. I asked a sales advisor to participate in the program and was sent the form via email.

Reactions: GSP and superblast
I have an interesting update to this topic.

I requested a trade-in estimate for my wife's Model 3, and indicated I was interested in replacing it with a Model Y. 30 seconds after I submitted the request, I got a call from Maria at Tesla trying to get me to start the order process. I told her that I wanted to know more about the FSD transfer program before doing anything, and she said she could help with that. She said the program is evolving and things might change, but here are two interesting points:
  1. The transfer does include EAP, so you don't have to buy EAP first. That makes it much more appealing.
  2. Not every car with FSD is eligible -- you have to have ordered FSD with the car, not added it on afterwards. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible when I ordered the Model 3 in 2018, because Tesla had previously removed the FSD option from the design studio due to customer confusion.
I think a lot of people are going to be pissed if #2 turns out to be correct, especially since some of those people (including me) got FSD for less than half the current price. The only reason we were considering upgrading to the Model Y at this time is because of the FSD transfer.

1. The transfer does include EAP, so you don't have to buy EAP first. That makes it much more appealing.
  2. Not every car with FSD is eligible -- you have to have ordered FSD with the car, not added it on afterwards. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible when I ordered the Model 3 in 2018, because Tesla had previously removed the FSD option from the design studio due to customer confusion...
EAP is a subset of FSD. If you buy FSD it MUST include ALL EAP features since FSD has all the features of EAP plus more. So since you have already bought FSD you have also already effectively bought EAP since it is all inclusive.

The transfer does include EAP, so you don't have to buy EAP first. That makes it much more appealing.

EAP is a subset of FSD. If you buy FSD it MUST include ALL EAP features since FSD has all the features of EAP plus more. So since you have already bought FSD you have also already effectively bought EAP since it is all inclusive.

Yep. I assumed when people were asking about if EAP was included in the transfer process, was if they have only EAP on their existing vehicle can they transfer that to a new vehicle. And I'm pretty sure that the answer to that is no, only FSD can be transferred.

Yep. I assumed when people were asking about if EAP was included in the transfer process, was if they have only EAP on their existing vehicle can they transfer that to a new vehicle. And I'm pretty sure that the answer to that is no, only FSD can be transferred.
Yes, and it could also be said that having FSD makes EAP Not Applicable in any way since you have moved beyond it.

I have an interesting update to this topic.

I requested a trade-in estimate for my wife's Model 3, and indicated I was interested in replacing it with a Model Y. 30 seconds after I submitted the request, I got a call from Maria at Tesla trying to get me to start the order process. I told her that I wanted to know more about the FSD transfer program before doing anything, and she said she could help with that. She said the program is evolving and things might change, but here are two interesting points:
  2. Not every car with FSD is eligible -- you have to have ordered FSD with the car, not added it on afterwards. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible when I ordered the Model 3 in 2018, because Tesla had previously removed the FSD option from the design studio due to customer confusion.
I think a lot of people are going to be pissed if #2 turns out to be correct, especially since some of those people (including me) got FSD for less than half the current price. The only reason we were considering upgrading to the Model Y at this time is because of the FSD transfer.

1. Of course the transfer includes EAP as FSD includes EAP and then some, I don't understand why this is even a thought.

2. I was about to order FSD on my 2018 with EAP, in hopes to save a few (8k) grand when I was to upgrade to a Y with FSD before Sept, now I'm skeptical if #2 is actually true, though 99% of the time, the "Tesla Rep" has zero knowledge of anything besides their own interpretation or rumors.

3. I will bet that the EAP WiLL be Transferable perHAps during the 4th quarter for the next demand lever???

1. Of course the transfer includes EAP as FSD includes EAP and then some, I don't understand why this is even a thought.

2. I was about to order FSD on my 2018 with EAP, in hopes to save a few (8k) grand when I was to upgrade to a Y with FSD before Sept, now I'm skeptical if #2 is actually true, though 99% of the time, the "Tesla Rep" has zero knowledge of anything besides their own interpretation or rumors.

3. I will bet that the EAP WiLL be Transferable perHAps during the 4th quarter for the next demand lever???
You will not be eligible according to #1. "...included at time of delivery..."

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 5.48.48 PM.png

I misunderstood this as well when I first read it, but all it says is to be the legal owner that has Full Self Driving...at the time of delivery of the NEW TESLA...

Therefore, if I ordered FSD for 9k right now, I' could be a legal owner that has FSD, at the time of delivery, before a possible Sept. delivery of a New Tesla.

And, I was about to upgrade to the hardware 3 for 1k anyways, so it's really only a 8k difference to me to upgrade now and also help the resale of my "to be removed" EAP, FSD, 2018 but at least would have hw3 installed for future owners.

Reactions: GSP