Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a bit dumb, but I’m guessing even if you trade-in to Tesla themselves, they’re not going to give you the value of FSD right? And just what is that value?

I have a 2021 Model 3 LR with FSD and was thinking of upgrading to a Y. Teslas trade in estimator says my car is worth $30-33K. It has 25K miles on it and pristine. It’s crazy to me to see such a low number especially if they say they factor in the cost of FSD in their trade in value. Now I’m really worried what the estimate will be without the FSD (since I wanna transfer it).

Teslas trade in estimator says my car is worth $30-33K. It has 25K miles on it and pristine. It’s crazy to me to see such a low number...

What quote do you get, when including FSD, from Kelley Blue Book, when sellling to a dealer or directly to a third party?

Did you tried other dealers, such as Carmax, Vroom, findmyelectric, givemethevin, justevs ...

Also, you should include the sales taxes (8.25% in Oceanside, CA) and DMV registartion.

With such a low mileage, it might be wise to wait to check the coming Model 3 Highlander.
in particular if there is any new battery and increase range, and if the Model Y will get then also updated?

Last edited:
The 2018 Model 3 had a 2.5 FSD computer.

At that time EAP was $5,000 and FSD was $3,000, but in 2019 there was a $2,000 sale for updating to FSD 3.0

Did you car get updated to get the 3.0 FSD computer?
Irrelevant since if you bought FSD Capability you own FSD Capability full stop. It is NOT like they are physically taking the FSD Computer and cameras out of your old car and installing them in the new car. Tesla simply "presses a button" that turns FSD Capability on.

I have a 2019 M3 RWD, 21k that I would like to move to a MY and transfer FSD. I understand that I'll have to purchase the MY first to initiate the FSD transfer. After that the options are to do a Tesla trade-in or sell the car some other way. The Tesla trade-in offer seems very low. Is there any tax advantage of doing a Tesla tradein? Is a private sale the best way to go?

Anyway while he was working all that out I test drove a Model Y. I liked a lot about the car but it squeaked and rattled like an old jalopy with only 320 miles on the odometer. Is this typical for a Y? I’m starting to think that transferring FSD might be moot if I’m just going to end up in a rattle trap.
No. My 2020 Y had some rattles if I kept the middle seat in the back up. My 2022 has no rattles. I have a trunk liner, and sometimes the straps that go around the rear headrests make some noise if they aren’t drawn tight enough.

I understand that I'll have to purchase the MY first to initiate the FSD transfer.
Make sure to discuss the FSD transfer with your Tesla sales advisor. You will need to initiate the transfer process after you place the order and get the new VIN assigned, but BEFORE you take delivery. Also, you need to do it before you sell your old car, while you are still the owner and have it on the same Tesla account.

Is there any tax advantage of doing a Tesla tradein?
It depends on the state. Most states give you a sales tax credit for the trade-in value making the trade-in more attractive. I don't think California does it though.

Last edited:
Make sure to discuss the FSD transfer with your Tesla sales advisor. You will need to initiate the transfer process after you place the order and get the new VIN assigned, but BEFORE you take delivery. Also, you need to do it before you sell your old car, while you are still the owner and have it on the same Tesla account.

It depends on the state. Most states give you a sales tax credit for the trade-in value making the trade-in more attractive. I don't think California does it though.
South Carolina is not one, either, but sales tax is capped at $500 for vehicles.

Reactions: Ccsdk
Correct, no tax advantage in CA.

I'm going to sell to Carmax most likely, put in an order yesterday and got a VIN in 15 minutes or so. Delivery should be very quick.

And just to re-iterate, Carmax/Carvana see hardly any value in FSD for trade-in, maybe a few 100 $ difference.

Reactions: Ccsdk
Beware, you must verify your VIN has a transferable FSD before ordering. My 2018 Model 3 with FSD is not. VIN 5YJ3E1E4F103xxx. I am out the deposit, even though mislead by chat assistant online
That’s really strange. Are you the original owner of the car? Do you have a payment confirmation that you purchased the FSD? If so, you should be eligible to transfer it, I think. Keep pushing them!

Reactions: Pricedm
Beware, you must verify your VIN has a transferable FSD before ordering. My 2018 Model 3 with FSD is not. VIN 5YJ3E1E4F103xxx. I am out the deposit, even though mislead by chat assistant online

There is some sort of glitch on Tesla’s back end that has our 2018 cars listed as incompatible with FSD.

The sales guy last night was adamant that my car had HW2.0 (with which a model 3 never shipped) and was visibly confused when he looked through my Tesla app to show me that my car didn’t have FSD. Naturally my car does have FSD and HW3 and it just didn’t compute. Reality doesn’t match what their computer is saying.

I have a ticket open. Keep pushing them, your car absolutely qualifies.

That’s really strange. Are you the original owner of the car? Do you have a payment confirmation that you purchased the FSD? If so, you should be eligible to transfer it, I think. Keep pushing them!
Does it say anywhere that you need to be the original owner to be eligible for the FSD transfer? I ask because I bought my car used with FSD on it. The seller did give me the original purchase receipt which shows FSD as a line item.

Does it say anywhere that you need to be the original owner to be eligible for the FSD transfer? I ask because I bought my car used with FSD on it. The seller did give me the original purchase receipt which shows FSD as a line item.
As long as you own FSD Capability (#1...legal and registered owner...") you are eligible. Also you don't need a receipt since it is in your Menu/Software and enabled on your car.

Dec 2018 built M3 RWD with FSD added when it was on sale and HW3.0 provided upon request about a year later. Estimate from Tesla 3 months ago was $16k higher than the estimate I received today. Mileage is under 80k km. and had increased by about 5k since the estimate 3 months ago. Otherwise, the same vehicle. I will resubmit in Sept. out of curiosity.

In my area, this vehicle is typically being listed (not necessarily sold) for about double what Tesla offered. Without FSD.

Not complaining but I'm not sure how this is driving Q3 sales :rolleyes:. Though I can only presume open market pricing will decline on mine once the refresh is available.

I am not aware of any original owner requirement, but it could make it easier to prove the FSD ownership. Certainly check with Tesla to be sure.

Reactions: johnny_cakes
I was told incorrectly that our 2018 Model 3 wasn't eligible (it is), and I'm the original owner, so that wasn't a factor. The person who said our 3 wasn't eligible said it was because we didn't order the car with FSD, we added it after delivery, but in 2018 that was the way you could get FSD.

I have a 2018 Model 3 with FSD (5YJ3E1EB6JF096***) and just got confirmation that my FSD qualifies for transfer amnesty. Built in August 2018 with HW2.5 (or 2.0? I forget). I did let them know the autopilot HW had been upgraded to HW3.

I saw others posting that 2018 Model 3s weren't qualified so want to share my experience that 2018 FSD vehicles do qualify.
No Model 3 was built with HW2.0, they're all HW2.5 or later.