Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. You can't transfer something that you don't own. So, you need to be the owner of your old car at the time of the FSD transfer. Makes sense.
On the other hand, the transfer can be done before the delivery of your new car, once the VIN is assigned.
The transfer doesn't take too long: in my case it took about an hour from signing the transfer paperwork and emailing it to my sales advisor.
Once the transfer is complete you can then sell your old car. Again, this all can be done ahead of the new car delivery.
So the sequence of events is a follows:
  1. Confirm with your sales advisor that your current car is eligible for the FSD transfer and that the new car delivery can take place by September 30, 2023.
  2. Place your new car order with the FSD selected (as I was instructed). Pay the $250 order fee.
  3. Once the VIN is assigned and delivery date is scheduled, initiate the FSD transfer with your sales advisor by signing the transfer agreement.
  4. Once the transfer is complete you can sell your old car or get a trade-in offer from Tesla.
  5. Arrange financing if needed.
  6. Take delivery of the new car.
In my case, since I was buying an inventory car, this was all done on the same day. But if you are ordering a new car from the factory, these events can be separated by days. Good luck!
How much did you lose to transfer FSD (Trade in value) compared to no transfer FSD?

Correct. You can't transfer something that you don't own. So, you need to be the owner of your old car at the time of the FSD transfer. Makes sense.
On the other hand, the transfer can be done before the delivery of your new car, once the VIN is assigned.
The transfer doesn't take too long: in my case it took about an hour from signing the transfer paperwork and emailing it to my sales advisor.
Once the transfer is complete you can then sell your old car. Again, this all can be done ahead of the new car delivery.
So the sequence of events is a follows:
  1. Confirm with your sales advisor that your current car is eligible for the FSD transfer and that the new car delivery can take place by September 30, 2023.
  2. Place your new car order with the FSD selected (as I was instructed). Pay the $250 order fee.
  3. Once the VIN is assigned and delivery date is scheduled, initiate the FSD transfer with your sales advisor by signing the transfer agreement.
  4. Once the transfer is complete you can sell your old car or get a trade-in offer from Tesla.
  5. Arrange financing if needed.
  6. Take delivery of the new car.
In my case, since I was buying an inventory car, this was all done on the same day. But if you are ordering a new car from the factory, these events can be separated by days. Good luck!
I am thinking to buy an inventory car. I guess all of them have HW 3 right?

I am thinking to buy an inventory car. I guess all of them have HW 3 right?
Model 3 absolutely, others I would guess between not likely to hit or miss. So you want HW3 just to get FSD Beta for maybe a month (assuming 11.4.7 releases, is stable and kinda rushed into all new software).

As much as I love having FSD Beta I would suffer through a few weeks to get HW4 if buying a new Y, S or X.

Was about to place my order for a new MYP to replace my 2021 MY LR with FSD but I am having second thoughts. Is it really worth it?! I will be getting a new car for basically upgraded cameras and hardware (less RAM though), but I still wouldn't be getting the imminent HD radar (already on S/X) and bumper cam (on highland and cyberstruck). I feel I am going for an upgrade that is already outdated! Any thoughts?

Reactions: Ken43
Was about to place my order for a new MYP to replace my 2021 MY LR with FSD but I am having second thoughts. Is it really worth it?! I will be getting a new car for basically upgraded cameras and hardware (less RAM though), but I still wouldn't be getting the imminent HD radar (already on S/X) and bumper cam (on highland and cyberstruck). I feel I am going for an upgrade that is already outdated! Any thoughts?
1. The lower Ram is just for Infotainment.
2. No one knows if the MY/3 will get an additional camera (bumper camera) or HD radar. The only rumor is a bump on the front of the Highland that people assume could be a camera.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Question about trade-in. Is there a big difference between trade-in value with FSD transfer and without FSD transfer? Anyone knows? Thanks
I don't think there is any way to know for sure. I did a trade-in with Tesla and FSD transfer this past Saturday. What I can tell you is that Driveway.com offered me about $2,000 more than Tesla and Driveway didn't know if I had FSD or not.

In the end, I took Tesla's offer instead of the higher one. Here in Georgia, if you are trading your car then they let you deduct the amount of your trade-in from the purchase price when figuring the tax basis. So in the end, it was basically a wash and I decided that with the FSD transfer it would be easier to trade in with Tesla.

I'm not so sure that was a good idea. Turns out it's a lot easier to do a deal with Tesla if you don't have a trade-in. The "trade team" is very, very slow and difficult to work with.

I went through the whole process. All I learned was both old and need to be on your account.

Key piece: You must order the new tesla with the $15,000 FSD add on. It is later credited back in the MVPA
Actually, I heard that they are now telling people not to order with FSD because then you get taxed on the $15,000. I ordered with FSD like they originally told us, but my MVPA had no mention of FSD whatsoever. So I think they just took it off the order.

Check with a sales advisor before you order.

Being one of those people who waited in line the first day at Tesla to put down the deposit, I love my April 2018 M3 with AP, later upgraded to FSD beta. Thought about "taking advantage" of the FSD transfer "amnesty" for a MY, but here are my reasons not to-
1. Buying/trading in a new car after using for 5 years is not exactly how we achieve a sustainable future, if everyone does it.
2. From a legal standpoint, if FSD does come to fruition (robotaxi and all) and HW3 is not going to be good enough for all the edge cases, will there be a class action lawsuit? And if so this "good will" of Elon might be a way to peter out some of the claimants. Maybe I'm holding out for better terms of settlements then this one up, time-limited offer.
3. If there aren't enough take rate on this offer, maybe Elon will extend/repeat it down the road? I really don't need a new car, at least until my son is graduating from college next year (when he can inherit my M3).
4. I really didn't feel like I did anything wrong to be offered an amnesty...

I took advantage of the FSD trade in offer. I think it ended up being a great deal for us.
Originally, I paid $6K for FSD, which was installed on our 2020 MYLR, which was delivered right when the pandemic started (March 2020). We had a VIN in the low 3,000 range, so the car had plenty of panel gaps, creaking, etc. No government credit or rebates were available for Tesla’s at the time.
Total paid, with tax, etc was $67,018.

New 2023 MYLR total costs, with tax, and federal and state credit/rebate: $48,741

Tesla offered $27,300 for a trade in (33,000 miles). I turned down the trade in offer and sold it to CarMax for $34,000!!

So, essentially, for $14,741 (new car price less amount I received from CarMax), I picked up a new car with a new warranty, HW4, FSD, much better build quality, better suspension, etc.

Very happy!!!

Reactions: superblast
1. Buying/trading in a new car after using for 5 years is not exactly how we achieve a sustainable future, if everyone does it.
I have a similar attitude, but I temper it with the realization that if I were to trade in my car, it wouldn't vanish from the face of the Earth. It would go onto the used car market, where people who can't afford a new Tesla could pick up a perfectly good electric car for a reasonable price. In the US alone, we'll eventually need to build a couple hundred million electric cars (depending on how robotaxi development goes), and if you were to trade in your car every year for a new one, I'm sure a bunch of people would appreciate it.

Being one of those people who waited in line the first day at Tesla to put down the deposit, I love my April 2018 M3 with AP, later upgraded to FSD beta. Thought about "taking advantage" of the FSD transfer "amnesty" for a MY, but here are my reasons not to-
2. From a legal standpoint, if FSD does come to fruition (robotaxi and all) and HW3 is not going to be good enough for all the edge cases, will there be a class action lawsuit? And if so this "good will" of Elon might be a way to peter out some of the claimants. Maybe I'm holding out for better terms of settlements then this one up, time-limited offer.
3. If there aren't enough take rate on this offer, maybe Elon will extend/repeat it down the road? I really don't need a new car, at least until my son is graduating from college next year (when he can inherit my M3).
4. I really didn't feel like I did anything wrong to be offered an amnesty...
1. Whether you trade up or someone else buys a new Tesla, the end result is the same: there are now two EV owners instead of one and one less ICE owner! All good!
2. It’s pretty clear that the 9 FSD features explicitly mentioned on Tesla website can be delivered with HW3. So, don’t count on any law suit! However, HW4 might be able to do more than what was explicitly promised, or do it better.
3. In my opinion, it is very likely that the FSD transfer will be offered again at some point. It makes sense! The question is how many years are you willing to wait for it? Is it worth it?
4. No, it’s not amnesty. It’s an offer and a very good one! It’s good for both sides. The first of its kind. Whether you take it or not it’s your call. For me, it was a no-brainer!

By the way, the new Model Y is so much better than the 2018 Model 3! You won’t regret the upgrade, trust me!

Last edited:
1. Whether you trade up or someone else buys a new Tesla, the end result is the same: there are now two EV owners instead of one and one less ICE owner! All good!
2. It’s pretty clear that the 9 FSD features explicitly mentioned on Tesla website can be delivered with HW3. So, don’t count on any law suit! However, HW4 might be able to do more than what was explicitly promised, or do it better.
3. In my opinion, it is very likely that the FSD transfer will be offered again at some point. It makes sense! The question is how many years are you willing to wait for it? Is it worth it?
4. No, it’s not amnesty. It’s an offer and a very good one! It’s good for both sides. The first of its kind. Whether you take it or not it’s your call. For me, it was a no-brainer!

By the way, the new Model Y is so much better than the 2018 Model 3! You won’t regret the upgrade, trust me!
Points taken.
Although the assumption is that, whoever buying the trade-off Tesla is buying it instead of an ICE car. Which I agree is very likely.
You might even argue, that Elon is doing this to help increase the used car inventory for more people to get to experience/afford Tesla.
Just saying that, in principle, if everyone is switching off cars every few years (and probably abandoning cars way before their end-of-life) there’s are lot of resources being wasted. (And I know, at least for EVs, the battery can be recycled)

Reactions: KArnold and DriveMe