Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Analog speedometers portray change in speed better than a digital one. But I don't believe it is read any faster when looking for the current speed.

An analogue one can be read by your peripheral vision MUCH better than a real one. ie. straight up is 60mph, bit left 50, to the right of vertical 70, further over 80... etc. Out the corner of your eye you learn the position of the needle. You can't do that with numbers. Like somebody going to hit you with a stick - your peripheral vision can see how where it is / how close it is. Likewise it can't read the shapes in a digital 88 display without refocusing.

not just speed. Central instrument cluster typically has:
  • engine power (regen)
  • battery range / percent
  • trip miles / total miles
  • AP mode (on / off)
  • Cruise control
  • indicator acknowledgement (the light that flashes with your indicator)
  • all the various warning lights
  • car needs service and other important stuff
and most importantly in a self driving car - some information about what the car sees - like the S / X have on the cluster. Or are we to trust the car or look over "past" the speedo to the bicycle / car that the cars 8 cameras can see but isn't going to show us that it sees it!

Within that black bar that runs the full width of the dash - and in particular behind the wheel you could get a nice 2 inch by 8 inch backlit LED displaying all of the above. The design wouldn't have to change much. It could even be copied across to the RHD side with no fascia change. It's not like we need a 5 foot wide airvent - which apparently is what that is!
Oh - and located there you'd have no glare issues / not have to refocus your eyes very far from the road.

Let's go through everything you've mentioned:
  • engine power (regen) not needed to drive
  • battery range / percent it's already on the center panel
  • trip miles / total miles not needed to drive
  • AP mode (on / off) already on center panel
  • Cruise control already on center panel
  • indicator acknowledgement (the light that flashes with your indicator) not sure how they are doing this one yet, it could even be LEDs, doesn't need to be a screen but it could very well be the center screen, it's not like you need any of them when going at speed except to change lanes and if you don't know which way you moved the stalk then you might have other problems. ;)
  • all the various warning lights I'm sure the center panel will alert you to warnings and you may get an audible alert.
  • car needs service and other important stuff likely on the center panel and not needed while actually driving
If the self driving car is working properly you shouldn't need to know what the car sees, but if they wanted then it could also be displayed on the center panel like what NVIDIA demo'ed.

There is no black bar and yes it's the AC vent.

There are issues with glare even on standard instrument panels. I'd argue that the center panel allows you to not have to refocus nearly as much is you would if you had to look through a steering wheel.

An analogue one can be read by your peripheral vision MUCH better than a real one. ie. straight up is 60mph, bit left 50, to the right of vertical 70, further over 80... etc. Out the corner of your eye you learn the position of the needle. You can't do that with numbers. Like somebody going to hit you with a stick - your peripheral vision can see how where it is / how close it is. Likewise it can't read the shapes in a digital 88 display without refocusing.

Do you use your peripheral vision to read speed limit signs too?

People are missing one of the key advantages of a central instrument panel/ control screen...ease of manufacture between LHD and RHD markets. It vastly simplifies the production line.
Well, yeah, not building something is generally much simpler than building something. If Tesla fundamentally believed that this was a better way of doing things and no one would miss the instrument panel, why not remove it from future versions of the S/X? Yeah, I didn't think so.

0z7kal.jpg

remember you're in the speedometer thread - not the HUD one!
Elon didn't promise airbags - but every other car sold had one - so NOT having something that's pretty much a standard given is a pretty big deal. Especially when he promised no weird mobile.
A central display displays a lot more than speed (other car awareness in AP mode, warning lights, battery, range, engine revs, trip distances, etc).

The car looks like a spaceship - in the way that HAL would want... minimalist - no physical controls, no override.
"Let me see what I'm doing HAL."
"You don't need to see what I'm doing. I control everything."

Well, yeah, not building something is generally much simpler than building something. If Tesla fundamentally believed that this was a better way of doing things and no one would miss the instrument panel, why not remove it from future versions of the S/X? Yeah, I didn't think so.

There's no need to, the model S/X are longer cars and the seats are positioned back farther (giving little head room to the backseat) so the dash can sit higher allowing you to have the in dash screen.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big-T and Burnardr
In order to get the screen closer to our faces, the dash would have to have what would amount to a 15" diagonal "box" behind the screen "integrating" it to the dash. That would look huge and ugly as hell. It would look like a room air conditioner in the middle of the car, seriously. I much prefer what they have done, which I think looks very futuristic and upscale.

I look at it like the Sneeches. We, with our Model 3's, will be the Sneeches with "stars upon thars." And all of the BMW/Merc drivers will be the plain-belly Sneeches looking on in jealousy. Ours will be upscale, and suddenly theirs will be "downscale." :)

Think he could have got it all in a wide 2 inch by 8 inch LED with just the critical stuff (not music selection stuff with album covers and the trio of Model S/X displays). Just speed. AP stuff (and what it sees). Warning lights. Trip. Battery state. Range.

I really think this episode is one of Elons' rare mistakes. Not the lack of a HUD, but the tease about "spaceship like controls"
That comment on twitter is what caused all of the HUD speculation. Then he allowed that to fester for months instead of stepping in and noting that no HUD would appear upon initial release.
Also, if a HUD, or center display is no longer needed with self driving cars, why in the world is Tesla spending millions of dollars per year on HUD designers?

My feeling is augmented HUD IS coming, first to S/X and later to M3. It's just not coming initially and Tesla does not care is some reservation holders drop off the list. They will sell every M3 they can produce for the foreseeable future.

What Elon was saying in all these tweets is 3 is a lesser S / X. Don't expect anything better than you get in a base S / X. No faster, no longer range, no 4wd until 6-9 months after 3's release, less storage, no better display tech (HUD etc), not even 2 bl&a%$ screens! He actually said that last bit. The S / X have 2 screens - that's the S / X advantage.
He was deliberately under-selling the 3 as going into the Quarter he didn't want S / X sales to be harmed. The removal of the S60 / 60D is the other part of this. He said the 3 can only fit up to a max 75kWH. So don't expect anything more.

Of course it's not to push people towards the S or the X. Of course, NOT! Tesla is about getting every single person into an EV to save the planet and mankind. The only way to do that is to make EVs that are compelling; affordable, attractive, low maintenance, killer performance etc., etc...

Everything he's done in these tweets is to moderate expectations of the 3. The company is worried about Osbourning. He's telling us no HUD. If you want 2 screens buy an S/X. He said that. No 4wd for 6-9 months after 3's release. They're worried about S / X sales these next 2 quarters and people over-hyping the 3.

What Elon was saying in all these tweets is 3 is a lesser S / X. Don't expect anything better than you get in a base S / X. No faster, no longer range, no more storage, no better display, not even 2 bl&a%$ screens! He actually said that last bit. The S / X have 2 screens - that's the S / X advantage.
He was deliberately under-selling the 3 as going into the Quarter he didn't want S / X sales to be harmed. The removal of the S60 / 60D is the other part of this. The 3 will max out at 75kWH - or a bit less.
I agree 10000% percent. Its a lesser car.

What is the Model 3? ( allow me to paraphrase Elon )

Its a drop of water in the ocean of the MS
Its a grain of sand on the beach of the MX
Its a snow flake in the storm of the MS blizzard.
Its a blade of grass on the million acres of the MS
Its the sound of an ant stepping around in the cow stampede of the MX.
Its the concept of a thought in my brain when compared to Elons.

Its going to be wonderful. <------hopefully that's not an alternative fact.

But that has nothing to do with the decision to have it or not - everything points to the choice being made on cost, not better design.
It's not just about cost... it's about visibility, seat placement, manufacturability, etc. It's a functional choice more than design.

Not needed... but having it under you eyes instead to the side might be wanted... convenient... useful...
same can be said about your mirrors.

Not that anybody would do this today, but voice recognition has made huge strides:

"Speed?"
"62 miles per hour slowing"
"Range?"
"181 miles average. 150 miles minimum"
"ETA?"
"23 minutes."

"Status?"
"71 miles per hour, 62 miles range, ETA 12 minutes, direction southwest"

Not that anybody would do this today, but voice recognition has made huge strides:

"Speed?"
"Range?"
"ETA?"
"23 minutes."

"Status?"
super appealing, but not practical with a kid napping in their car seat...

"Speed?"
"Range?"
"ETA?"
"23 minutes."

"Status?"
I've been wondering the same thing. With Google Now/Google Assistant/Alexa, etc., I frequently use voice to get information from my devices. I hope my car would be able to do the same thing eventually. I did notice in the release notes for 8.1 that you can now choose to navigate to a favorite by using voice. One small step for a Tesla...

"Speed?"
"Range?"
"ETA?"
"23 minutes."

"Status?"
I've been wondering the same thing. With Google Now/Google Assistant/Alexa, etc., I frequently use voice to get information from my devices. I hope my car would be able to do the same thing eventually. I did notice in the release notes for 8.1 that you can now choose to navigate to a favorite by using voice. One small step for a Tesla...

wouldnt that be considered new consumer tech which elon said there was none of?