Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you seriously believe this is a design-first decision, not a cost-cutting compromise?
It's a mix of the two. It's a design decision and a cost cutting decision. They could have perhaps ended at roughly the same cost splitting the screen in half, using much smaller screens (maybe even using a non-digital cluster) and redesigning the dash completely, but then it would not fit with the design Tesla had been going with.

It's a mix of the two. It's a design decision and a cost cutting decision. They could have perhaps ended at roughly the same cost splitting the screen in half, but using much smaller screens, but then it would not fit with the design Tesla had been going with.

I agree their design philosophy has been forcing their hand in this...

Returning to the idea that this is based on a more forward dash in the Model 3, I don't see it in the pictures.

Also, wouldn't that mean the steering wheel would still have to further along from the dash to create that distance between the driver's eyes and the screen? In other central speedometers we have seen, the screen for the speedo has been deliverately pushed far back over the top of the dash (like on the Prius)... instead on the Model 3, release candidate video included, the screen seems to be there right alongside the driver's hands - after all, it also has to work as a touchscreen...

I am not seeing how a screen so close to the driver and to their right can be ergonomical while looking out the windshield. Even on Model S the instrument cluster screen is further away from you than the big screen. That it is covered also helps with glare. Interesting to see if the Model 3 screen might suffer from glare issues as well as viewing ergonomics.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
I agree their design philosophy has been forcing their hand in this...

Returning to the idea that this is based on a more forward dash in the Model 3, I don't see it in the pictures.

Also, wouldn't that mean the steering wheel would still have to further along from the dash to create that distance between the driver's eyes and the screen? In other central speedometers we have seen, the screen for the speedo has been deliverately pushed far back over the top of the dash (like on the Prius)... instead on the Model 3, release candidate video included, the screen seems to be there right alongside the driver's hands - after all, it also has to work as a touchscreen...

I am not seeing how a screen so close to the driver and to their right can be ergonomical while looking out the windshield. Even on Model S the instrument cluster screen is further away from you than the big screen. That it is covered also helps with glare. Interesting to see if the Model 3 screen might suffer from glare issues as well as viewing ergonomics.
I don't think there are enough good pictures of the dash to tell. I tried finding pictures to do a dash comparison in another thread with someone's Oldsmobile, but there aren't many (a lot of them were taken during the night unveiling where lighting was poor and pretty much none taken from driver position).

It would take some actual seat time (or a reviewer who has seat time) to really tell how it works out.

Since the 3/31/2016 reveal, has Tesla ever said or shown anything to indicate there would be any display beyond the single, center-mounted 15" one? Elon tweeted that the interior "feels like a spaceship" (whatever that means) and some people jump to some wild conclusions based on what they'd like/wish to see included. If the Model 3, as shown on 3/31/2016, was enough to quicken your pulse, why would recent tweets that this design is confirmed suddenly become a disappointment?

Because it was expected that Tesla would "complete" the interior. This was further backed up by Tesla's own actions to limit photography of the interior during press/media events after the initial reveal (hinting at its incompleteness or maybe their embarrassment). Now it's expected that the reveal interior will basically be the production interior. I can easily understand the concern.

I don't think there are enough good pictures of the dash to tell.

IMO the Model 3 screen seems to be at a similar distance as the map screen of Prius - not the same distance as the Prius speedo... The release candidate video suggests similar placement in the final. The speedometer is thus much closer on the Model 3 than it is on the Prius, where you can see it far back from the map screen...

The speedometer on the Prius is around the narrow black line/ridge on top of the dash on the Model 3, so much further back than the Model 3 screen comparatively.

20160331_213033.jpg

d5ec7adc4d71875e647fc6614c3afd3a.jpg

It would take some actual seat time (or a reviewer who has seat time) to really tell how it works out.

Of course. Everything comes with the disclaimer that final results may still change. As always, we are discussing our current understanding. Otherwise we might as well be quiet on future products. :)

I tried finding pictures to do a dash comparison in another thread with someone's Oldsmobile, but there aren't many (a lot of them were taken during the night unveiling where lighting was poor and pretty much none taken from driver position).

Here's an old one, if this is what you're talking of That speedo is also much further back than the Model 3 screen seems to be...

1954_Oldsmobile_F_88_15.jpg

Reactions: abasile
The speedometer is thus much closer on the Model 3 than it is on the Prius, where you can see it far back from the map screen...

Never drove the Prius, but drove a Civic with the speed up high and further away like this (though positioned in front of the driver). It might seem counter-intuitive, but being further away makes it easier to see. Your eyes don't have to work as hard to refocus when switching from the road to the speedometer.

Never drove the Prius, but drove a Civic with the speed up high and further away like this (though positioned in front of the driver). It might seem counter-intuitive, but being further away makes it easier to see. Your eyes don't have to work as hard to refocus when switching from the road to the speedometer.

I agree!

That was my point.

Prius has placed the speedo further away than Model 3. That is a positive for Prius and a negative for Model 3, or looks like it at this stage anyway. Tesla has tied their hands... a touch screen can't be placed out of reach...

Reactions: kablammyman
Because it was expected that Tesla would "complete" the interior. This was further backed up by Tesla's own actions to limit photography of the interior during press/media events after the initial reveal (hinting at its incompleteness or maybe their embarrassment). Now it's expected that the reveal interior will basically be the production interior. I can easily understand the concern.
Ah, expectations. I think that's the source of some of the disconnect and discontent.
  • People expected more/different displays because they couldn't believe what was revealed could possibly be extant (because that's just not what's done on other cars)
  • People expected a HUD or secondary display because Elon tweeted that it "feels like a spaceship" (whatever that means)
  • People expect this to be the final interior because Elon tweeted that there's only the one display. Maybe there will be other changes to the interior (ergo, the statements about the interior not being finalized) that don't involve displays?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
There is still the chance that the spaceship controls could refer to a new steering wheel (that perhaps has some new buttons for controlling the big screen?)...

But I guess the most likely scenario is that spaceship controls referred to something that got delayed (or worse, cancelled).

Elon may of course rename something to "spaceship controls" just to fulfill the promies, as Tesla did by renaming some other software update to 8.1 and also (this was Elon) renaming AP2 launch as Model 3 Part 2, when it really wasn't...

Elon may of course rename something to "spaceship controls" just to fulfill the promies, as Tesla did by renaming some other software update to 8.1 and also (this was Elon) renaming AP2 launch as Model 3 Part 2, when it really wasn't...
Maybe that really WAS Reveal Part 2 because AP2 was what he meant by "feels like a spaceship". :D:p

Last edited:
Ah, expectations. I think that's the source of the disconnect and discontent.
  • People expected more/different displays because they couldn't believe what was revealed could possibly be extant (because that's just not what's done on other cars)
  • People expected a HUD or secondary display because Elon tweeted that it "feels like a spaceship" (whatever that means)
  • People expect this to be the final interior because Elon tweeted that there's only the one display. Maybe there will be other changes to the interior (ergo, the statements about the interior not being finalized) that don't involve displays?

Elon Musk on Twitter

So all he was saying is that car speed will be shown on the center display, and he needs a reveal for that shocking design innovation?

Elon Musk on Twitter

So all he was saying is that car speed will be shown on the center display, and he needs a reveal for that shocking design innovation?
  • Question: "The lack of a dashboard/HUD is something that I don't think I could get used to. That's the only thing I don't like about the car."
  • Elon's reply: "It will make sense after part 2 of the Model 3 unveil"
  • Reveal Part 2 was about AP2 (specifically, Model 3 Reveal 2 was incorporated into the AP2 announcement)
So, it looks like the clues were there all along. His response back then was not his coyly hinting that HUD or additional display might be forthcoming as some people had assumed, but rather that after Reveal 2, you'll understand why additional displays are unnecessary. A view he reiterated recently in his tweets.

I think the operative question should not be whether or not the Model 3 will have a speedo mounted behind the steering wheel (Elon unequivocally said "No"), but whether or not having the speedo on the 15" display is a workable solution. For that, we'll need to wait until the production car is available for test drives.

Last edited:
  • Question: "The lack of a dashboard/HUD is something that I don't think I could get used to. That's the only thing I don't like about the car."
  • Elon's reply: "It will make sense after part 2 of the Model 3 unveil"
  • Reveal Part 2 was about AP2
So, it looks like the clues were there all along. Not coyly hinting that HUD or additional display might be forthcoming as some people assumed, but rather that after Reveal 2, you'll understand why additional displays are unnecessary. A view he reiterated recently in his tweets.

But Reveal 2 was not about Model 3 at all, other than in Musk's tweet.

It sounds like the renaming of the 8.1 update. Lacking in content but suspiciously high on convenience.

I am still leaning on the spaceship referring to something else than just EAP/FSD. Perhaps something Musk originally imagined would/could have been shown by now.

But Reveal 2 was not about Model 3 at all, other than in Musk's tweet.

It sounds like the renaming of the 8.1 update. Lacking in content but suspiciously high on convenience.

I am still leaning on the spaceship referring to something else than just EAP/FSD. Perhaps something Musk originally imagined would/could have been shown by now.
Last year Elon already said the FSD was the Model 3 part 2 he was talking about. He basically dropped the bombshell that all Model 3 will have FSD hardware (as well as Model S/X). That was something significant we weren't aware of previously.
Elon Musk confirms ‘Tesla Model 3 part 2’ is today’s mysterious ‘product unveil’

Last edited:
IMO the Model 3 screen seems to be at a similar distance as the map screen of Prius - not the same distance as the Prius speedo... The release candidate video suggests similar placement in the final. The speedometer is thus much closer on the Model 3 than it is on the Prius, where you can see it far back from the map screen...

The speedometer on the Prius is around the narrow black line/ridge on top of the dash on the Model 3, so much further back than the Model 3 screen comparatively.

I'm not sure about glare (although I don't have a problem with my Model S screen), but I don't see how it being further away helps ergonomically. It seems to me you will look about the same place for the speed in either case (a bit to the right of the upper part of the steering wheel). Of course, it's really impossible to tell without sitting in one (or pictures that were taken from the same spot with the same focal length).

prius.png

tesla-model-3-first-ride-010-1020.0.0.jpg