Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd argue that your touch interface experience with your Prius and other cars is irrelevant because none of those vehicles had driver interfaces which were designed around the concept of not having physical buttons. Seriously, this matters. Tesla's setup isn't perfect but I can say that, after a year and a half of ownership, there's really no going back for me.

You're declaring a preference without having experienced the alternative.

I have to take my eyes off the road to adjust the HVAC system. This seems to be the same on a Tesla. What am I missing?

Really? I'd love to set up some eye tracking so I could give you more than anecdotal evidence, but I'd guess I check my speedometer every 3-5 seconds.
I only look at my speedometer that often when I'm wondering how much over the speed limit i'm going especially if I see a cop car. On the highways in the Midwest, since it's very open, many times 15 over is just fine , 25-30 over is pushing it, and 40 mph over the speed limit and you'll probably get a ticket, always written for a speed below the reckless threshold, regardless of your actual speed.

During rush hour though you can be lucky to go the speed limit, there's no point in looking at your speedometer unless you like being upset.

I'm indifferent and open to change so will withhold judgement until I get to see the final product. It would be cool if the car knew the speed limit (read the sign, use data, etc.) and presented audible chimes when the car crosses the barrier (either up or down). That frees my eyes up to do more useful things..

I'm indifferent and open to change so will withhold judgement until I get to see the final product. It would be cool if the car knew the speed limit (read the sign, use data, etc.) and presented audible chimes when the car crosses the barrier (either up or down). That frees my eyes up to do more useful things..
It's supposed to be able to read all sorts of signs.

Reactions: JCLeonard
Really? I'd love to set up some eye tracking so I could give you more than anecdotal evidence, but I'd guess I check my speedometer every 3-5 seconds.
I'm usually limited by the speed the other cars are driving, so I don't really feel the need to look at what speed I'm going. I usually look at the speedometer when I find a car that is driving way slower than me though. And I also like to play the game of guess which speed I'm driving and look to check if I'm right, but that is only when there is no traffic, which is rare.
My eyes are most of the time focused in the bumper in front of me and the breaking lights so that I can keep my distance constant and break as soon as possible to avoid hard breaks, r checking the 3 mirrors.
I also rarely look at the speedometer if I'm driving in the highway in a car with cruise control enabled.
I may look to the speedometer without even noticing that I do, but definitely not every 5 seconds.

I continue to feel Tesla makes themselves a victim of their own signature features in this instance.

In any other case, if costs prohibited a graphical instrument cluster, there would simply be a cheaper base solution and then a paid option upwards.

But for Tesla it is big screen or go home, that is one of those things that have become a religion of sorts for them. And in this case all that leads to "go home" on the instrument cluster for Model 3, because something has to give to pay for that big battery and autonomous CPU/GPU in every car...

In the end putting a small screen there for the necessities would not have cost much, nor a simple speedometer for example. But it is not their style...
Putting a small screen might have changed the dash design and the change to the design may cost far more than the individual parts costs.

Reactions: Krugerrand
And they can't do a second graphical screen because of cost.

That's absurd. Of course they could manage the modest cost of including a driver-centered display if they wanted to, especially if it's a small-ish screen. We're not talking big dollar numbers here.

I guess I'll have to wait until I can sit in the car to tell if this will work.

That's basically how I'm feeling. But the big problem there is that, depending on when/where you made your reservation, there might not be an opportunity to even sit in one (let alone drive one) before it comes time to place an order. TBD, I guess.

Reactions: Foxhound199
I guess I'll have to wait until I can sit in the car to tell if this will work. I have my doubts that a single speed readout in the corner of a very busy screen will work, but that's just me.
It's only busy if you make it busy...

Quick! how fast is he going?

tesla-model-3-interior.jpg

I don't understand why we are still bringing this up? Elon/Tesla never promised or mentioned that there would be a HUD or a display in front of the steering wheel. That's something reservation holders here and on Electrek started. Then, after Elon's Friday tweetstorm, people got pissed that it confirmed what Tesla never said.

People need to move on...IMO, I don't believe this is enough to cancel your reservation and not get a M3. I'll get used to the single central display.

By removing the driver's instrument cluster / screen they seem to have reduced the height and depth of the dashboard. They would then have an (uglier?) transition to a large rectangle in the dash if they integrated it. From the photo/video it appear the screen is quite a bit higher and more forward to allow for easier peripheral visibility.

It's sort of like all the telescoping and screen-raising/flipping infotainment systems out there. They need to get the height of the screen up but integrating the entire screen into the dash would look too bulky.
You beat me to it. In order for the screen to be in the driver's view, it must be above the dash. That makes it so if it is integrated, the dash has to be too high. The closest thing would be a half way integration, where the top of the screen sticks out, but most people seem to feel that is even uglier. The floating screen look is probably a better choice between the two.