Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet - 100kwh battery is the max we'll do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk: 100 kWh Battery Pack Probably As Large As We’re Going

Please say it isn't so!! For those of us who live in cold climates, 100kwh simply isn't enough to make a lot of trips if you want to ride in a comfortable cabin. I can tell you that to make a 300 km trip, in the cold dead of winter, with heat, at a reasonable speed and with cabin heat, and with a reasonable safety margin you're looking at AT LEAST 130kwh.

My P85D, while a great car, simply could not be my only car. And neither could a 100.

Please keep pushing on the battery size!!!!

Reactions: Matias
Heating electrically such a large car is quite wasteful. Solar gain thru the windows can eliminate the need for this, but may require wearing mukluks on one's feet. But under the most severe conditions the solution would be overalls with electric heating. Somebody must make these. You would enjoy controlled zone comfort while using zero energy to heat cabin and seats. You could even run it off its own deep cycle battery.
--

Heating electrically such a large car is quite wasteful. Solar gain thru the windows can eliminate the need for this, but may require wearing mukluks on one's feet. But under the most severe conditions the solution would be overalls with electric heating. Somebody must make these. You would enjoy controlled zone comfort while using zero energy to heat cabin and seats. You could even run it off its own deep cycle battery.
--
Is this the future of electric cars? Mukluks and battery operated overalls? WTH is a mukluk anyway? :)
I need to dress up like i'm skiing on a really cold day just to drive my car? ;)

Voila, just search for motorcycle heated clothing and see everything from socks to hats, gloves and full suits. All operate on 12v dc so a
30 pound deep-cycle wheelchair battery would keep you off the traction pack. Mmm, electric socks. 8^)
--

Heating electrically such a large car is quite wasteful. Solar gain thru the windows can eliminate the need for this, but may require wearing mukluks on one's feet. But under the most severe conditions the solution would be overalls with electric heating.
A snowmobile suit would work just fine. No need for additional heating.

--

Thanks for that. I had previously considered installing a wood fired stove into the trunk - but your ideas are marginally better. :rolleyes:

From the tweet, I don't get that. And it's not the first time that Elon has tweeted that nobody really needs a bigger battery.

I don't buy it at all. Even now, the vast majority of the vehicles purchased are the largest battery available - despite the significantly higher cost. You don't have to be much of a statistician to look at that distribution curve and conclude that people are still looking for bigger batteries.

There are a bunch of reasons why 100 kwh is not always enough: cold weather, high speeds, need to do out and back trips to remote locations without chargers or with slow chargers.

Sometimes Tesla seems to forget that there's a big market outside of warm weather, supercharger loaded California.

Reactions: Matias
From the tweet, I don't get that. And it's not the first time that Elon has tweeted that nobody really needs a bigger battery.

He didn't write that. He wrote that they probably would stop at 100kWh, and that was in the context of a reply to somebody with a 100kWh S.

I don't buy it at all. Even now, the vast majority of the vehicles purchased are the largest battery available - despite the significantly higher cost. You don't have to be much of a statistician to look at that distribution curve and conclude that people are still looking for bigger batteries.

Again, he didn't say anything about need.

There are a bunch of reasons why 100 kwh is not always enough: cold weather, high speeds, need to do out and back trips to remote locations without chargers or with slow chargers.

There's a lot of short-term thinking in that sentence. If Tesla is successful, or really if EVs are successful, there won't be anywhere outside range of a charger.

Sometimes Tesla seems to forget that there's a big market outside of warm weather, supercharger loaded California.

Sometimes people put words in other people's mouths and make assumptions about their thinking.

He didn't write that. He wrote that they probably would stop at 100kWh, and that was in the context of a reply to somebody with a 100kWh S.

@danielringdahl @P100D Glad you like it! I think we will probably stop at 100 kWh on battery size.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 16, 2016

Well... I don't know how I can interpret it differently. When he says "I think we .we will probably stop at 100 kWh on battery size", I think he's saying that that's the largest battery (highest capacity) battery that they will make.

There's a lot of short-term thinking in that sentence. If Tesla is successful, or really if EVs are successful, there won't be anywhere outside range of a charger.

Sometimes people put words in other people's mouths and make assumptions about their thinking.

I didn't put any words in his mouth. There they are... verbatim. And I feel that it's a bad idea that limits the market.

There is a reason that most ICEs have a range of 700-800 km on a tank - despite the enormous availability of gas stations. The market has decided, over the last 100 years, that a 700-800 km range provides for the cases that we're all talking about : higher speeds, two way trips to the middle of nowhere, and even the convenience of not having to stop to fill-up when you're on a 4-5 hour non-stop, "just bloody get there" trip.

And when you look at an hour to fully charge, it pushes people to want more range in an EV, not less. 100kwh is not large enough for it to be an only vehicle for a lot of people. When we get to 130 or 150kwh then I would be more convince-able.

Reactions: Coolcarx
Gas cars have tanks that size because people don't want to stop and fill-up every other day. If everyone had gas pumps in their garage, tanks would be a lot smaller.

That's probably true for some classes of vehicles. But when you're looking at an only vehicle, this is all about the outlier cases. Lots out outdoor recreational activities involve travel to fairly remote locations where there is no gas station and no charger. And for the business / sales road warrior, sitting at a charger, charging for an hour for every 3.5 hours driving isn't going to work. And a few Germans have chimed in here that the Tesla is unusable on the autobahn because the range at high speed is too short for it to be practical.

@danielringdahl @P100D Glad you like it! I think we will probably stop at 100 kWh on battery size.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 16, 2016

Well... I don't know how I can interpret it differently. When he says "I think we .we will probably stop at 100 kWh on battery size", I think he's saying that that's the largest battery (highest capacity) battery that they will make.

I didn't put any words in his mouth. There they are... verbatim. And I feel that it's a bad idea that limits the market.

When Elon Musk said at the Model 3 launch event that Tesla would never make slow cars, did he mean that everybody needs fast cars?

You don't know the reasons why Elon Musk wrote what he wrote, and jumped to conclusions. Did you consider tweeting a reply to his statement to ask for clarification or reasoning?

When Elon Musk said at the Model 3 launch event that Tesla would never make slow cars, did he mean that everybody needs fast cars?

You don't know the reasons why Elon Musk wrote what he wrote, and jumped to conclusions. Did you consider tweeting a reply to his statement to ask for clarification or reasoning?

Now I understand your confusion. That's a comment that he's made previously - that he didn't see a need for a larger battery, as long as the superchargers were close together.