Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it'll be the biggest mistake ever if musk apologizes, because then he knows they own him.

Respectfully disagree- the pedo comment was over the top and he should have to apologize for it. No one forced him to add the personal insults and make those disparaging comments. He could have just as easily fought back without calling him a pedo, and the doubling down on it.

Maybe he did hear something about British expats in the area, or whatever. But it doesn’t give him the right to hammer the guy the way he did. If you look up his name on the internet all you’re going to see for some time to come is how Elon called him that.

A rational planner in a desperate situation would follow all available independent paths to a solution. This including looking for places to drill even though drilling was almost certainly impractical. I'm sure they also had a team exploring the implications of staying in the cave until the dry season.

The planner was faced with the possible end game of dead boys and the question "Did you do everything you could possibly do?".

The guy who said Musk was stupid was the guy who had done the detailed mapping of the cave that was used to find the boys initially. He's the guy who has done the most crawling around in the cave system. He would know implicitly if moving a cylinder though the passages was possible.
The guy in the interview was a jerk.
Then EM decided to be one as well.
This never ends well.

Elon Musk on Twitter
This email chain is between Richard Stanton the lead diver in charge and Musk, Stanton asked him to continue repeatedly. If I was Musk Id be pissed too.

Being pissed is reasonable but putting your reputation (and your company's reputation) in jeopardy by sinking to their level is not. In this case I don't think the truth matters all that much. Elon should have the self-awareness to realize that this would be a major controversy, and the self-restraint to let it go.

A rational planner in a desperate situation would follow all available independent paths to a solution. This including looking for places to drill even though drilling was almost certainly impractical. I'm sure they also had a team exploring the implications of staying in the cave until the dry season.

The planner was faced with the possible end game of dead boys and the question "Did you do everything you could possibly do?".

The guy who said Musk was stupid was the guy who had done the detailed mapping of the cave that was used to find the boys initially. He's the guy who has done the most crawling around in the cave system. He would know implicitly if moving a cylinder though the passages was possible.

And Elon has data explicitly saying it would fit:
Moreover, based on extensive cave video review & discussion with several divers who know journey, SpaceX engineering is absolutely certain that mini-sub can do entire journey & demonstrate at any time.
Elon Musk on Twitter

They also provided an inflatable test pod to verify before sending the cylinder through.
According to divers who have made the passage, yes. However, we also made an exact replica that is inflatable, so that the entire path can be tested without risk of blockage.
Elon Musk on Twitter

I'm getting a bit worried that Musk is cracking up from overwork. He's done a couple of very high profile faux pas recently.

The problem I see is that if Musk really goes off the rails his companies are very likely to crash IMHO. I'm doubtful anyone else could take over.
Agree 100%
Future tense?
Personal life also often impacts ones actions.
Absolutely none of my / our business but he's now allegedly dating (Wiki) some Canadian singer. Moved on from Amber.
But all this is irrelevant, he's got to be silenced. By the boards. You cannot go 'round making libelous statements without repercussions!

they sent both the hard shell and inflatable for redundancy. they did everything they were asked. then this guy h

Elon Musk on Twitter

They also provided an inflatable test pod to verify before sending the cylinder through.

Elon Musk on Twitter
thanks @mongo, took words right out of my mouth.

the spacex team did both, as requested, and spec’d from afar, using phone, email, twitter to crowdsource.

redundancy. the naysayers pointing to the hard capsule as useless is, in fact, a useless argument, as was this same argument by said angry diver.

they sent both, period.
personally i don’t care if either worked. they tried, while most others mocked and berated him on twitter.

but two wrongs don’t make a right. he shouldn’t have said what he said.
all the more reason not to engage trolls in the middle of the night. they’re like jokers, all they want to do is watch the world burn. nobody wins.

In the heat of the battle, we all lose our cool, and say
And do foolish stuff which we later regret.

However, if there is incontrovertible evidence, he need not apologize,
As he is protecting children, and it appears that’s where he is coming
From.
Where is the information that suggests the person Elon tweeted at may actually be a pedophile?

I'm not defending Elon's comment, but I will defend his approach to assisting the rescue.
Em has done more for Humanity than the most people alive. He is STILL the most amazing person I have read or heard about.
I believe he made a mistake on this one.

However the zeal to throw one off a cliff the first time they make a mistake is very odd in our society. If we continue to demand absolute purity from every leader we end up ....well look at who is in office.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk on Twitter

An inflatable strapped with weight belts? So divers fighting borderline hypoxia in the cave system are going to be interested in testing Elon's idea by running this thing through the tunnel?

The actual solution implemented shows the middle school science fair nature of the minisub product.

An inflatable strapped with weight belts? So divers fighting borderline hypoxia in the cave system are going to be interested in testing Elon's idea by running this thing through the tunnel?

The actual solution implemented shows the middle school science fair nature of the minisub product.
Says the internet expert from the cheap seats:rolleyes:

So when can we expect that video of Musk's abomination getting through the cave?

I find it funny that Musk says he has the "data," as if there's some precision model of every nook-and-cranny in the cave.

If a military diver says his tube won't fit, I'm inclined to believe him.

Musk's only course of action is to appologise. Given the same that follows him, this incident won't stop until then.

Where is the information that suggests the person Elon tweeted at may actually be a pedophile?

And that is a good question that Elon, if he's smart, need not answer. Rest assured there are numerous reporters looking in to Elon's assertion and it will be interesting to see if any evidence surfaces. If the guy is a pedo, there should be more than enough evidence of it.

So I hope Elon just stays quiet and lets others find the facts. Even though his statement has nothing to do with Tesla, it's seriously impacting the SP and anything he says until the quarterly report will probably be misconstrued negatively. Let others find out the truth about this guy.

• Disagree
Reactions: MauryDann and jhm