Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, if there is incontrovertible evidence, he need not apologize,
As he is protecting children, and it appears that’s where he is coming
From.

No, that's incorrect.

If he had evidence, he should go to the authorities first BEFORE Twitter.

If you witness a crime, call 911. Don't sit around attacking them with Twitter and reputational insults.

This is the third time this summer he's made a severe allegation with no evidence:
  • Tripp's friend threatening to shoot up Freemont (police are investigating a false report)
  • Loretta paying sources (she and Business Insider have denied it)
  • Diver hero is a pedophile

An inflatable strapped with weight belts? So divers fighting borderline hypoxia in the cave system are going to be interested in testing Elon's idea by running this thing through the tunnel?

The actual solution implemented shows the middle school science fair nature of the minisub product.

The only thing that really matters on this topic(separate from the “pedo” comment): they asked for it. If it was impractical then blame Richard Stanton for saying it was worth trying.

I agree with pre-pedo EM, something is seriously screwed up if it’s THIS bad of a thing when someone is repeatedly asked for help and then finally puts in a ton of hard work and money to do so in the exact way requested. Of course, close to 0% of the media coverage(before or after the “pedo” comment) make any mention of his being asked for help.

Perception is reality. If you don't want your actions to be taken as a publicity stunt, then don't publicize them. It's easy for me to say after the fact, but there must have been someone savy enough on the fickle thing that is public opinion in the entourage of Elon to tell him to quit posting those videos of his sub as they were developing it?

Perception is reality. If you don't want your actions to be taken as a publicity stunt, then don't publicize them. It's easy for me to say after the fact, but there must have been someone savy enough on the fickle thing that is public opinion in the entourage of Elon to tell him to quit posting those videos of his sub as they were developing it?
You think Elon would listen?

Bloody hell, I go away to a music festival for the weekend, and all hell breaks loose!

What a total *sugar*-sandwich!

I think Elon needs a vacation. The constant pressure he's been under and now all the personal attacks, must be horrible. Maybe a meditation retreat would do him some good.

Not sure what he should do now, apologise, or not, I have no opinion on that. I personally would apologise, I learned this with my wife, always say sorry, for everything, regardless :)

Bloody hell, I go away to a music festival for the weekend, and all hell breaks loose!

What a total *sugar*-sandwich!

I think Elon needs a vacation. The constant pressure he's been under and now all the personal attacks, must be horrible. Maybe a meditation retreat would do him some good.

Not sure what he should do now, apologise, or not, I have no opinion on that. I personally would apologise, I learned this with my wife, always say sorry, for everything, regardless :)

An apology would probably hurt him in a court case/settlement with the diver, but still probably the right/best thing to do. Both from a moral standpoint(EM was clearly in the wrong with that statement) and from a pragmatic one(apologizing, without excuses or attempting to blame anyone would dramatically improve the optics here).

Reactions: dm33
alas Elon’s colossal fiasco of not awakening to this truism & foolishly wasting 15 years trying to sell the world on glorified golf carts being the future apparently was not enough to finally teach him to accept that “perception is reality.”

Indeed I misspoke. Sorry won't happen again. Elon is God and there is nothing he can do wrong. It's always someone else's fault. Silly me!

Yes, much too easy. He was asked to assist publicly on Twitter and provided real time updates on the progress. It was absolutely the right thing to do. The only wrong thing he did was losing his *sugar* with one individual. It's not the end of the world.

No. It would have been better to just to say "on it", give the assistance and then shut up about it. Same outcome, but none of the bad blood that was already formenting before the outburst. See how all the other companies fared that helped out.

No. It would have been better to just to say "on it", give the assistance and then shut up about it. Same outcome, but none of the bad blood that was already formenting before the outburst. See how all the other companies fared that helped out.

In fairness, that’s exactly what he did at first with Flint and he got attacked for it, with people claiming it was fake because there were no details.

An apology would probably hurt him in a court case/settlement with the diver, but still probably the right/best thing to do. Both from a moral standpoint(EM was clearly in the wrong with that statement) and from a pragmatic one(apologizing, without excuses or attempting to blame anyone would dramatically improve the optics here).

Maybe wouldn't be any case if Elon did apologise.

I'm still scratching my head why he even said it what was he thinking? Had he been on the chablis? I mean I post all sorts of offensive stuff when I'm drunk, but I don't have 22million followers.

Reactions: MauryDann
  • Tripp's friend threatening to shoot up Freemont (police are investigating a false report)
  • Loretta paying sources (she and Business Insider have denied it)
  • Diver hero is a pedophile

Actually it was Tripp's friend that told Tesla that Tripp threatened to shoot up Gigafactory. The report is true even if Tripp wasn't actually planning to do anything or was just joking.
Tesla receives phone call warning rogue employee planned to “shoot the place up”

As for Lopez, that remains to be seen. Of course she would deny it (and how would Business Insider know for sure? you really think Lopez would tell her bosses?), but the evidence is quite clear that she is at least an acquaintance of Jim Chanos and drinks his cool aid. Even if Lopez just offered or gave Tripp advice (e.g. "hey, I'd suggest you short some Tesla stock in the next few days") that's still illegal.