Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or, he has real proof, and is pissed the guy hasn't been prosecuted for it.

Based on how he's doubling down on it, I think that's more likely. Does raise the question of why he can't/isn't sharing the proof though.
Please how do you expect a CEO that was some days in Thailand does have any legitimate proof that a random guy is a pedo? Did the random guy have sex with a child in front of his eyes or why the actual ... Sry... Does Elon call a random guy a pedo? Just because he lives in Thailand? This is even rassiscm to me

Or, he has real proof, and is pissed the guy hasn't been prosecuted for it.

Based on how he's doubling down on it, I think that's more likely. Does raise the question of why he can't/isn't sharing the proof though.
Or maybe this entire insane Trump type scenario shouldn't even be occurring in the 1st place. Some random guy on the other side of the world criticizes you and he
goes nuclear. This is Trump. Even if you're wrong, just double down. Opportunity to move on and forget about it... no he has to win no matter what. He went nuts
because of some random twitter guy. Just be the bigger man for once and let it go. This is all childish.

I wonder why Elon ever decided to get involved in the Thailand cave disaster in the first place.
It is not as if he didn't have enough worries and projects already. Why not concentrate on stuff like getting the Model 3 production hell under control, or any of the other projects at Tesla, SpaceX, etc.?
He was asked for help by one of the divers, who encouraged him multiple times to continue developing the mini submarine, only to back stabbing him later.

The background is not relevant. If Elon knows something he should hire someone to handle it and he’ll get the last word in the courts, without associating himself with this guy. Right and wrong have processes and something as inflammatory as this are not something you want associated with the Tesla brand. This is such a wtf type of thing, it really is a bummer to see him dragging himself through the mud and fud.

The background is not relevant. If Elon knows something he should hire someone to handle it and he’ll get the last word in the courts, without associating himself with this guy. Right and wrong have processes and something as inflammatory as this are not something you want associated with the Tesla brand. This is such a wtf type of thing, it really is a bummer to see him dragging himself through the mud and fud.

What is Elon's end game here? To prove that some random British guy in Thailand is a child raping pedophile? Let's say his completely wild, baseless accusations are somehow true and the guy is in fact a pedophile. What's Elon gonna do? Gloat to the world that he was right about the guy being a pedo? How does that help Tesla or any of his companies? Even the best case scenario is "Elon is an a$$hole human being that was right about calling a random guy in Thailand a pedophile". Not exactly the best headline fodder.

What is Elon's end game here? To prove that some random British guy in Thailand is a child raping pedophile? Let's say his completely wild, baseless accusations are somehow true and the guy is in fact a pedophile. What's Elon gonna do? Gloat to the world that he was right about the guy being a pedo? How does that help Tesla or any of his companies? Even the best case scenario is "Elon is an a$$hole human being that was right about calling a random guy in Thailand a pedophile". Not exactly the best headline fodder.
Watch out, I think the situation is unnecessary, ridiculous, unhelpful and should have been left alone.
And I got a thumbs down from imherkimer. :rolleyes: I'll give you a thumbs up to offset the thumbs down you're gonna get for your
perfectly reasonable remarks. Maybe imherkimer is a stock shorter that is enjoying the blowup. who knows.

I wonder why Elon ever decided to get involved in the Thailand cave disaster in the first place.
It is not as if he didn't have enough worries and projects already. Why not concentrate on stuff like getting the Model 3 production hell under control, or any of the other projects at Tesla, SpaceX, etc.?
Yeah, he shouldn't have. I think he wanted a break and saw something he could do to help. Didn't expect Thailand to be so problematic (which he should have expected, but I doubt he ever researched it).

Reactions: mershaw2001
I sort of get where Musk is coming from. Someone needs to remind him that it is flat out a waste of his time to deal with such things -- he's not going to make a meaningful impact on the pedophiles-who-go-to-Thailand culture -- and that spending his time stopping global warming is more productive.

I sort of get where Musk is coming from. Someone needs to remind him that it is flat out a waste of his time to deal with such things -- he's not going to make a meaningful impact on the pedophiles-who-go-to-Thailand culture -- and that spending his time stopping global warming is more productive.

This.

Also applies to the critics who say he's wasting his time on Mars when he could be (curing cancer / solving poverty / cleaning up the water supply). Different people for different problems.

Collecting is super easy. Elon is worth $30B and has more than enough assets in every jurisdictiën that matters.
No, he doesn't. Nearly all of Musk's assets are TSLA stock and SpaceX stock, which are US assets; a jet registered in the US and some houses in the US. I actually don't know of *any* assets he owns overseas.

And there is no way whatsoever for Unsworth to win a US libel case, which requires proof that you *knew* what you were saying was false; and there's no way for him to collect in the US n a foreign libel case with lower standards, since there's a specific US law prohibiting that.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dm33
This quora link lays out the sequence of events re Elon & the Thailand team exactly as I saw it unfold:

And I did see a lot of it first hand - the team in Thailand reached out to me on July 6th at 2am (their time, mid morning here) because they'd heard I could get them in touch directly w Elon. My five minutes of keyboard warrior gave me a front row seat to the events.

Bonnie, since you do seem to have some way to get in touch with Elon, is there any way to get in touch with Elon and just let him know he's *wasting his time*? He's not going to make any significant impact on Thai sex tourism. He can make a significant impact on global warming.

Sure, he should write down the timeline he remembers, and everything suspicious he heard, and anything suspicious he downloaded, and give it to his lawyer for safekeeping, and use it if Unsworth sues. But at this point, making any sort of comment beyond "no comment" -- even in private -- has no positive benefit to anyone. Musk has better things to do with his time. Like fight global warming.

Everyone is saying pretty much the same thing. I don't think it's helpful to continue sending him the same advice. But that's just me.

While we're all saying the same thing, it's not getting through. I think it's not getting through because the approach is wrong; people are taking an approach which works on a different personality type. The only thing which is going to get through to Musk's personality type, in my opinion is to say:

Assume Unsworth is everything you say he is; he isn't worth your time. Even if you proved he was guilty, he'll just be replaced by a different Thai sex tourist, people will quite likely incorrectly view that person as a hero, and you're not going to effectively change that because you don't have the political skills. Best thing you can do is to "no comment", ignore Unsworth (send everything you have to your lawyer), and focus on stopping global warming.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
Bonnie, since you do seem to have some way to get in touch with Elon, is there any way to get in touch with Elon and just let him know he's *wasting his time*? He's not going to make any significant impact on Thai sex tourism. He can make a significant impact on global warming.

Sure, he should write down the timeline he remembers, and everything suspicious he heard, and anything suspicious he downloaded, and give it to his lawyer for safekeeping, and use it if Unsworth sues. But at this point, making any sort of comment beyond "no comment" -- even in private -- has no positive benefit to anyone. Musk has better things to do with his time. Like fight global warming.
I just don’t understand how the timeline matters. If he’s pissed, be smart and hire some PR/PI service to follow up and discreetly file a report to the authorities. Being right and having the last word can be done on an abstract way.

Reactions: SGordB and neroden
While we're all saying the same thing, it's not getting through. I think it's not getting through because the approach is wrong; people are taking an approach which works on a different personality type. The only thing which is going to get through to Musk's personality type, in my opinion is to say:

Assume Unsworth is everything you say he is; he isn't worth your time. Even if you proved he was guilty, he'll just be replaced by a different Thai sex tourist, people will quite likely incorrectly view that person as a hero, and you're not going to effectively change that because you don't have the political skills. Best thing you can do is to "no comment", ignore Unsworth (send everything you have to your lawyer), and focus on stopping global warming.

Speaking from a logical, not legal point of view:
ASSUMING Elon has concrete data about this specific person, you are asking him to not reply to the affirmative when people ask about the topic. Isn't that akin to asking him to condone it?

The last two communication incidents were due to other people asking him, they were not unprompted. If you know (again assumption) someone did something wrong, and someone asks you if they did, what do you do?

Speaking from a logical, not legal point of view:
ASSUMING Elon has concrete data about this specific person, you are asking him to not reply to the affirmative when people ask about the topic.
Yes, I am asking him to say "no comment".

Isn't that akin to asking him to condone it?
No, it's not. There's a reason for the phrase "no comment".

The more extensive version is "All questions about this can be addressed to my lawyers", but the simple version is "no comment".

The last two communication incidents were due to other people asking him, they were not unprompted. If you know (again assumption) someone did something wrong, and someone asks you if they did, what do you do?

That depends. If I don't trust the person who's asking, if for instance I expect that they're working for the person who did something wrong, I often say "I am not going to comment on that".

The person asking can take from that what they will. Often, "no comment" is interpreted as "I know something but I have reason not to say it", though it can mean other things.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo