Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point, Elon has quadrupled down on this. He was on the ground in Thailand and keeps telling people to investigate there - it's certainly possible that he got some bad intel, but he must have heard something over there to make him so aggressive on the issue.

If Unsworth's lawyer doesn't actually sue after this threatening and posturing, I think it will be telling.

At this point, Elon has quadrupled down on this. He was on the ground in Thailand and keeps telling people to investigate there - it's certainly possible that he got some bad intel, but he must have heard something over there to make him so aggressive on the issue.

If Unsworth's lawyer doesn't actually sue after this threatening and posturing, I think it will be telling.
Sue where? How??

Sue where? How??

IANAL but this guy I found on Google is: Serving An International Defamation Subpoena | Internet Law Attorney

CAN YOU SUE A PERSON WHO LIVES IN ANOTHER COUNTRY FOR SLANDER OR LIBEL?
Yes. You can sue another person in another country for slander or libel. The trick is picking the proper jurisdiction to file your claim. In many cases, filing abroad is the better option for plaintiffs, because the United States has the most defendant-friendly defamation laws in the world. If filing in a foreign jurisdiction, you can use a U.S.- based attorney to handle the case. That said, you will need foreign counsel as well, unless the U.S. attorney is authorized to practice law in the defendant’s country. Ultimately, it’s best to find one who has experience with cross-border defamation litigation.

That said, in order to file a defamation lawsuit in another country, you must be able to prove some connection to the country. Were the defamatory statements published in the country? Did the material attract an unusual amount of attention in that country? In other words, you can’t just pick a super-plaintiff-friendly jurisdiction; the incident under review must have a suitable connection to the jurisdiction in which a case is filed.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
That BuzzFeed article is worse than just the quadrupling down on the pedo claims.

Also hurts Musk's credibility around Vern's involvement. Multiple divers and rescue ops people stood up for him, some of whom were flown in.

They also criticised his sub, saying it was underdeveloped and missing life support systems.

Vern has also had a girlfriend for 7 years who claims she's 40.

The only evidence Musk seems to have is the region is "famous for sex trafficking." That's still extremely weak and purely circumstantial.

Neither Vern or his family will comment on Musk's behavior. That's something a good lawyer would stress - leave all the talking to him.

Looks like Vern is going to be rich.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/elon-musk-thai-cave-rescuer-accusations-buzzfeed-email

No supporting facts for that statement, but of course that never stopped you before.

Vern's lawyer said they're suing.

Elon has offered no evidence that his claims are true.

Seems like a slam dunk case?

Drew Harwell on Twitter

Vernon Unsworth's lawyer tells me that @elonmusk's latest baseless allegations (https://t.co/dpfrVWHQGD) will be added to lawsuit: His "continuing campaign of publishing vile and false accusations … is inexcusable. Musk hopes to be sued and he deserves to be sued. He will be.

• Disagree
Reactions: dm33 and SSonnentag
That BuzzFeed article is worse than just the quadrupling down on the pedo claims.

Also hurts Musk's credibility around Vern's involvement. Multiple divers and rescue ops people stood up for him, some of whom were flown in.

They also criticised his sub, saying it was underdeveloped and missing life support systems.

Vern has also had a girlfriend for 7 years who claims she's 40.

The only evidence Musk seems to have is the region is "famous for sex trafficking." That's still extremely weak and purely circumstantial.

Neither Vern or his family will comment on Musk's behavior. That's something a good lawyer would stress - leave all the talking to him.

Looks like Vern is going to be rich.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/elon-musk-thai-cave-rescuer-accusations-buzzfeed-email

How dare you suggest that Vern is motivated by money.... he doesn't want Musk's money, and he doesn't want Musk's apology....

All Vern is asking for is for is respect and admiration from young people around the globe.... He doesn't care about your opinions, particularly if you are an adult. He only seeks validation from young people that are impressed by his many masculine qualities.

He just wants to be loved.... by someone really young.

Can't you all see that?

I'm disappointed that this keeps running. I can only imagine Elon has something in the guy, why else would he be so proactive about it?

As someone else suggested some weeks back, Elon likely has access to a lot of trick software tools that can find out all sorts of stuff we can't.

If there is no proof, then Elon's being irrational.

And Buzzfeed are clearly to be blacklisted in the future.

Regarding the two party off the record bologna, how can a specific e-mail (not chain) ever be simultaneously agreed to be off the record by both parties? "Oh, that message was OTR, but I'm not treating the follow up as being OTR, it's just too juicy". Way to burn their credibility...

Also not sure how that e-mail is really usable against Musk, unless they sue regarding Elon impacting Ryan's opinion of Vern...

<Off the record>
Anything I want to say about anything with any level of certainty and seriousness
</Off the record>

<On the record>
Anything I'm saying officially (as myself or a company rep) and willing to have published and defend.
</on the record>

<broken record>
</broken record>

Elon is just aggressively commenting unintelligent BS... This guy is far from being a pedo and even if he was - Musk has no proof other than he lives in Thailand - Wow. I really can't find the words to describe how dumb it was from Musk to renew the whole story. He may now even get sued in LA for his blame. First apologizing for calling a random guy a pedo and than quadrupling on the assault that does not make any sense. ELON, calm down and drink some tea and in God's name let some child read your mails and tweets before releasing them - that would help share price a lot. Gosh