Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These advertisers are not exercising free speech, they are being pressured by activist groups. I suspect they are even being blackmailed with the threat of a boycott.

You can read, so why don’t you read what Elon posted.
a) do we have proof for that? Elon is very unspecific and it sounds a lot more like a conspiracy... which activist group? what are their names?
b) threat of a boycott is exactly what free speech is about... kinda funnt that the "go woke - go broke" segment of society suddenly doesn't like that concept anymore but *happily* proposed to boycott any company they deemed "too woke". It's not a one way street.

last but not least ... could it *possibly* be that advertisers don't like drama and Elon's antics and retweeting wild conspiracy theories or liking memes making fun of his customers for supporting his vast net worth isn't a winning idea? He would be so much better off if he just would stop tweeting for 10 days...

These advertisers are not exercising free speech, they are being pressured by activist groups. I suspect they are even being blackmailed with the threat of a boycott.
Really? What company's management would really succumb to threats of a boycott unless they also agreed with the so called activists (who are these people, anyway?). Do any so called boycotts have any real long lasting effect on a business?

Next, you're going to blame the advertisers leaving on the so called "woke mind virus".

Annoying because though he claims to have voted Democrat all along, it seems some of them decided to hold him up as poster-boy billionaire and therefore bad and to be attacked. I feel like that pushed him away (not just politically, but in real life, to Texas!).
I agree that a lot of the bashing of Elon was unfairly targeted and unnecessary, especially when there is a lot of potential common ground to share. I personally see no reason to call individuals out unless that individual did something specifically to warrant it that stands out against the rest. There's no doubt that the social engagement metrics indicated that mentioning Elon drove hits and views - but is that the right metric to focus on?

That said, Elon needed to take the high ground, but instead sank right down to the same level and made the mistake of engaging in pointless Twitter battles where no-one wins and Elon ends up looking like the villain they are looking for.

It's all disappointing on so many levels because it all could (and still can) be easily avoided with some sane, reasonably discussions.

The irony of it all is that Twitter (and social media in general) does not lend itself all that well to public discourse - so I see the chances of Twitter becoming the "defacto town hall" as very slim.

It’s his private company and he can muzzle bully groups (who were being wholly unreasonable) actively trying to harm it.
and advertisers are free to support that or not. as i previously stated... turning twitter into parler but expecting twitter like ad revenue streams isn't going to work. there aren't enough mypillows or gold coins or survival gear kits to be advertised...

I don’t recall the previous CEOs of Twitter getting into feuds with users. It’s a bold strategy for sure.
not only that... the latest meme he liked (lol) was literally making fun of AOC for buying a Tesla and supporting his net worth. Bold strategy... insulting your customers (she drives a Tesla - and - is widely followed on twitter)

and advertisers are free to support that or not. as i previously stated... turning twitter into parler but expecting twitter like ad revenue streams isn't going to work. there aren't enough mypillows or gold coins or survival gear kits to be advertised...
I’m not talking about advertisers, I’m talking about bully groups who make it their mission to target would-be advertisers or current ones to blackmail.

not only that... the latest meme he liked (lol) was literally making fun of AOC for buying a Tesla and supporting his net worth. Bold strategy... insulting your customers (she drives a Tesla - and - is widely followed on twitter)
I gotta admit it would be pretty comical if he offered to buy back her car and put her on a ban list for buying another. He’s done it before.

That’s definitely a foot-in-mouth moment for everyone attacking Elon for not following labor regulations. They blame Elon for linking to an unproven theory, yet this FUD story was hook, line and sinker.

Yep, classic. The Elon hater echo chamber is incredibly strong and quick to jump to conclusions right now. And as I follow a lot of journalists on Twitter, their garbage is all over my timeline right now. Pushing back yields ad-hominems or complete silence. Frustrating.

a) do we have proof for that? Elon is very unspecific and it sounds a lot more like a conspiracy... which activist group? what are their names?
b) threat of a boycott is exactly what free speech is about... kinda funnt that the "go woke - go broke" segment of society suddenly doesn't like that concept anymore but *happily* proposed to boycott any company they deemed "too woke". It's not a one way street.

last but not least ... could it *possibly* be that advertisers don't like drama and Elon's antics and retweeting wild conspiracy theories or liking memes making fun of his customers for supporting his vast net worth isn't a winning idea? He would be so much better off if he just would stop tweeting for 10 days...

At the moment all we know about that situation is what Elon says. Sure, he could be lying. But until other sources come forward it’s all we have. And if activist groups are pressurising advertisers, I’m sure they are not just saying ‘can you please stop advertising on Twitter’. I’m pretty convinced they would include ‘or…’.. But that’s just my $0.50, I could be wrong.

At the moment all we know about that situation is what Elon says. Sure, he could be lying. But until other sources come forward it’s all we have. And if activist groups are pressurising advertisers, I’m sure they are not just saying ‘can you please stop advertising on Twitter’. I’m pretty convinced they would include ‘or…’.. But that’s just my $0.50, I could be wrong.

To be fair, Elon gave those groups a fair amount of ammunition to exert that pressure himself.

Annoying because though he claims to have voted Democrat all along, it seems some of them decided to hold him up as poster-boy billionaire and therefore bad and to be attacked. I feel like that pushed him away (not just politically, but in real life, to Texas!).

Unfortunately now he's promoting mad conspiracy theories and generally being an awful person. No wonder advertisers are moving away, they don't want to be associated with that craziness. And yet he blames... activists? What? Doesn't he realize he himself is who's showing toxic behavior? Going after AOC for... selling apparel? What happened to the Short Shorts Elon sold for a similar price? Why is he lashing out uncontrollably?

If buying one of the largest social media platforms specifically because you want to alter its content-moderation policies in a particular direction isn't "activism" I don't know what is.

You can read, so why don’t you read what Elon posted.
Boycotting a company (or threatening to) IS a form of free speech.

Companies are free to ignore the activists. But they aren't free from the consequences of doing so. Seems they've decided that the consequences of ignoring them are a greater threat to their business. The majority of the population does not support baseless conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
Few points to consider:

1. Twitter's current user-facing feature set does not require a large cash burning work force or infrastructure to sustain. There is plenty of room for waste reduction and cost savings, even after the current lay-offs.

2. In fact, current Twitter user-facing feature set can be sustained at such a low budget that, Elon could fund it out of his own pocket indefinitely WITHOUT any major TSLA sell-off.

3. Caveat: Initial capital infusion is required for implementing some new back-end features that will enable sustaining current user-facing features on a much smaller budget. Eg: automated spam filters, bot filters, new monetization features, etc. After that, it can run on a low budget.

4. Any new user-facing features that Elon wants to introduce can be monetized appropriately. Eg: Financial transactions with a transaction fee, video clips with ads.

5. Ad boycott is just temporary drama. There are PLENTY of supposedly bad platforms that find enough advertising dollars because they have eyeballs. If the users are there, the ads will come.

6. Elon's focus should be on ensuring users stay engaged. Drama and negativity is not necessarily a user repellant. At times, it can actually attract more users. Trump brought a lot of user engagement to Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.