Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Few points to consider:

1. Twitter's current user-facing feature set does not require a large cash burning work force or infrastructure to sustain. There is plenty of room for waste reduction and cost savings, even after the current lay-offs.

2. In fact, current Twitter user-facing feature set can be sustained at such a low budget that, Elon could fund it out of his own pocket indefinitely WITHOUT any major TSLA sell-off.

3. Caveat: Initial capital infusion is required for implementing some new back-end features that will enable sustaining current user-facing features on a much smaller budget. Eg: automated spam filters, bot filters, new monetization features, etc. After that, it can run on a low budget.

4. Any new user-facing features that Elon wants to introduce can be monetized appropriately. Eg: Financial transactions with a transaction fee, video clips with ads.

5. Ad boycott is just temporary drama. There are PLENTY of supposedly bad platforms that find enough advertising dollars because they have eyeballs. If the users are there, the ads will come.

6. Elon's focus should be on ensuring users stay engaged. Drama and negativity is not necessarily a user repellant. At times, it can actually attract more users. Trump brought a lot of user engagement to Twitter.
in addition to twitter burning cash - he has to pay $1b annually for the financing of the deal... and other platforms like parler don't have the cost structure of twitter and sure as hell wouldn't sell for $44b....

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
1667590976856.png

Twitter being sued for labor violations

Well that didn't last long...
So, am I interpreting this correctly that, as opposed to a lump severence, with no-work employment, Twitter can stop paying de-orged people if they get a new job?

in addition to twitter burning cash - he has to pay $1b annually for the financing of the deal... and other platforms like parler don't have the cost structure of twitter and sure as hell wouldn't sell for $44b....

I'd also like to dispel this naive notion that since Twitter's service is relatively straight forward in functionality, it needs almost no engineers or workers to maintain it.

Since I work in that industry, I can assure you that this is a lot like saying if Disneyland decides to not make any new roller coasters, they can run the park for almost nothing, and not need any engineers. MOST of the software labor goes into simply keeping the system current - it's not like you can just say "ok, the app and the server are done - everyone go home".

As Elon fires half the workers, and likely many more quit (most specifically the talented ones who know how to make things work)... Twitter is gonna be like disneyland with the same management decision - trash everywhere, rides broken, visitors attacking each other because no ones around to police them, and Mickey at the front still bravely waving to everyone while muttering under his breath about evil people boycotting his park.

So, am I interpreting this correctly that, as opposed to a lump severence, with no-work employment, Twitter can stop paying de-orged people if they get a new job?

The lawyer is already backing off, sort of.

Lawyer Suing Twitter Over Layoffs Says Musk Now Trying to Comply

The lawyer who sued Twitter Inc. “pre-emptively” on the eve of mass layoffs by Elon Musk said she’s “pleased” to learn at least some employees will continue being paid until Jan. 4.

Attorney Shannon Liss-Riordan said Friday that the billionaire “is making an effort to comply” with the law, less than half a day after she accused the company in a class-action federal lawsuit of violating federal and California statutes restricting companies from mounting mass layoffs on short notice.

The irony, of course, is that within the Elon hater echo chamber this information will not circulate (can't have their followers think they're sympathizing with Elon, now, can we?), much in the way that misinformation does its damage upon dissemination, despite later fact checks that challenge the misinformation (a fact of which many of these same people are aware).

Elon has been visiting that same woodshed for his Twitter posts for years, with no sign of it affecting his behavior going
Doesn't Elon have anyone in a his circle or a trusted advisor that will tell him - dude, just stop posting on Twitter for a few weeks. When you are in a hole the first thing is to just stop digging.
He started to realize that this bad deal can still get a heluva lot worse...

LOL, the 69D chess master may start to learn (any day now) that he has to stop sacrificing pieces before he runs out all of them
So much there from the misreading (or cynical reading) of the law to the use of “appease”
“Company police?” Did they mean company policy?

Anyone can sue for anything, even with zero fact to support the suit. Of course that doesn't stop ambulance chasers.

As long as every 'Your Fired' e-mail says you will be paid+full benefits for the next 60+ days -- btw, a February term date is 90 days -- Tesla is in compliance with the WARN act as a company is allowed to give Pay-in-lieu-of-Notice. And so far, what has been reported is that employees are getting more than the required minimum of 60 days, they are receiving 90 days of pay+benefits.

But no, Tesla cannot stop paying them if they get another job. Happens all the time.

So have seen leaders of two groups at Twitter that said entire group was let go.

Accessibility Team
Human Rights Team

Also see someone saying that the team that found code in Algorithm to amplify right wing voices was let go.
Yeah lots of tweets like this. Who knows what’s true. It’s not surprising that advertisers might want to wait to see how things shake out. I’m not sure calling them out is going to work or help attract new advertisers.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Key difference:
Shanghai has worked with Tesla to enable mechanisms for the factory to remain open, and at 100% production. Alamedia county didn't, and wouldn't engage with Tesla on that front.
I don't think "employees must sleep in the factory" would have gone over very well in Fremont. Which is really the only way to prevent SARS-CoV-2 from spreading to the surrounding community when you still have a shortage of tests.

I don't understand how people think they have a constitutional right to violate a company's terms of service. If TMC deletes one of my posts, they are not violating my constitutional rights.
When the company is colluding with DHS/CISA to censor speech they don’t like because it’s politically inconvenient it is.

Elon May have just saved Twitter from being broken up for violating the first amendment wholesale.

• Funny
Reactions: 30seconds
Yeah lots of tweets like this. Who knows what’s true. It’s not surprising that advertisers might want to wait to see how things shake out. I’m not sure calling them out is going to work or help attract new advertisers.
Snark mode on:

What is you actually produce? (Looking at you SMART goals)
  • researching
  • pushing for
  • studying
  • inventing and building tooling and methodologies

Status
Not open for further replies.