Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it is: Elon Musk Says He Had ‘No Choice’ in Slashing Twitter Workforce, Claims Company Was Losing $4 Million Daily

He's worth $200 billion, so assuming zero growth on principal and also zero inflation of expenses, he could single handedly fund Twitter at $4 million a day for over 130 years.
So you want him to sell all his stake in Tesla and SpaceX to fund stupid Twitter ?

Nobody invests to lose money. Twitter needs to be profitable on its own.

ps : It’s also weird to not expect a big layoff. They all got double of what their Twitter stock was worth anyway …

So you want him to sell all his stake in Tesla and SpaceX to fund stupid Twitter ?

Nobody invests to lose money.
Nobody who wants to make money signs a binding agreement to buy an unprofitable company at a substantial premium...

If you want to make money, you at least make sure you try to drive hard for the best deal possible. But we know that he was more interested in trolling and making jokes, down to the purchase price of $54.20 per share.
Twitter needs to be profitable on its own.
Unless he's willing to throw about $1.4 billion a year at a personal free speech absolutism project in which Twitter is no longer beholden to advertisers. He's certainly capable of doing that for the rest of his life, if he really wanted to.

Nobody who wants to make money signs a binding agreement to buy an unprofitable company at a substantial premium...

If you want to make money, you at least make sure you try to drive hard for the best deal possible. But we know that he was more interested in trolling and making jokes, down to the purchase price of $54.20 per share.

Unless he's willing to throw about $1.4 billion a year at a personal free speech absolutism project in which Twitter is no longer beholden to advertisers. He's certainly capable of doing that for the rest of his life, if he really wanted to.
Actually, the market went down after he made the bid. The bid amount itself wasn’t that bad in the beginning. That is why he tried to get out of the deal, but couldn’.

Yes, if he wants to protect racist rants, its going to cost him a lot of money. I’m sure he is not willing to pay that much …

Nobody said “owning libs” was cheap ;)

Why is AOC complaining vs paying? Elon's 4D chess on his haters.

Daily Struggle 05112022181029.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, if he wants to protect racist rants, its going to cost him a lot of money.

Back in the day even the American Civil Liberties Union would protect racist rants and such for free. I think I remember the ACLU defending the Nazis right march in Skokie Illinois. I believe the ACLU was even more liberal then than they are now. Strange world.

Back in the day even the American Civil Liberties Union would protect racist rants and such for free. I think I remember the ACLU defending the Nazis right march in Skokie Illinois. I believe the ACLU was even more liberal then than they are now. Strange world.
The ACLU had, since its inception, defended people and groups whose views they found repugnant. Only in recent years have they aligned more ideologically. There has been some reporting on internal struggles there to move away from the ideological and get back to defending civil liberties afforded to all, even if the viewpoints aren't aligned with the members of the organization. I won't link here, but a search online results in a bunch of the ones I remember reading.

Natures miracle leaf might be key to slowing him down just enough to be less erratic.
Jazz cabbage?

The ACLU had, since its inception, defended people and groups whose views they found repugnant. Only in recent years have they aligned more ideologically. There has been some reporting on internal struggles there to move away from the ideological and get back to defending civil liberties afforded to all, even if the viewpoints aren't aligned with the members of the organization. I won't link here, but a search online results in a bunch of the ones I remember reading.

Jazz cabbage?
Lol. I wasn’t being totally cryptic, but yes.

Actually, the market went down after he made the bid. The bid amount itself wasn’t that bad in the beginning. That is why he tried to get out of the deal, but couldn’.

Yes, if he wants to protect racist rants, its going to cost him a lot of money. I’m sure he is not willing to pay that much …

When has he ever indicated he would want to protect racist rants? Unless ‘owning libs’ is considered racist.

Could this be true? If so sounds like cause for termination and referral for prosecution for the responsible parties.
View attachment 871543
If that was happening, that guy is a moron. Why the hell didn't he report it immediately? Commercial bribery is illegal (CA penal code § 641.3). This section of the penal code was last amended in 2009 and became effective in 2010.

Nobody invests to lose money. Twitter needs to be profitable on its own.

ps : It’s also weird to not expect a big layoff. They all got double of what their Twitter stock was worth anyway …

I begged and pleaded for him to not get involved in the thing in the first place.

But now that he's $44B in, it makes sense for him to quit whining and screaming and just calmly accept it'll take another several billion to build it into something people want to participate in enough that it earns money.

The ACLU had, since its inception, defended people and groups whose views they found repugnant. Only in recent years have they aligned more ideologically.
As a long term financial supporter of ACLU, I take keen interest in what they do. IIRC, soul searching started after they supported granting neo-Nazi groups effort to organize the infamous rally in Charlottesville where Heather Heyer was killed.

It's been long debated whether fascist groups would use liberties offered by a liberal democracy to overthrow the liberal democracy itself. That's really at the heart of the debate.

If that was happening, that guy is a moron. Why the hell didn't he report it immediately? Commercial bribery is illegal (CA penal code § 641.3). This section of the penal code was last amended in 2009 and became effective in 2010.
I would also say that if that were true (a big if), it's less than ideal for Elon to admit to it in public if he knows anything about it. Maybe he's saying that it needs investigation - but that's not how it reads at first.

The bid was terrible from the very beginning. Twitter was overpriced in public markets. That should have compelled Elon to stay away, not to pay a premium for an overpriced asset.
I don’t doubt that Elon has a vision for Twitter but he had obviously not thought through the ramifications of an outspoken, opinionated and very polarizing person like himself running an ad dependent social media platform. The left is organizing Twitter boycotts on Twitter. They are organizing on Twitter to boycott anyone that pays for the blue check mark. Elon wanted free speech on Twitter. Well, he’s got it.

All speech is protected by the first amendment even racist speech. The ACLU is right in defending nazis right to free speech. At the same time, the rest of us also have a right to boycott any platform that elevates their voice.

All speech is protected by the first amendment even racist speech. The ACLU is right in defending nazis right to free speech. At the same time, the rest of us also have a right to boycott any platform that elevates their voice.

I admire the ACLU for sticking to their core moral values, even when it's for people they don't like.

That said, I think Germany has this in better focus than we do - they went thru a fascist takeover of government, and they are not tolerant of it happening again. Thankfully I'm not a free speech absolutist :)

I have absolutely no idea where Elon plans to take Twitter on this kind of stuff. As best I can tell, he just thinks suppressing hate speech and racism and conspiracy BS was getting in the way of some of his personal politics. Alas, that doesn't really inform a uniform set of moderation rules upon which to base a town hall service.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Status
Not open for further replies.