Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah. just wait until someone BUYS an "verification checkmark" for a fake first responder account and starts tweeting... the notion that you appear "verified" by just paying $8 is insane...

I think an easily discernible two-tier "checkmark" system (with commensurate filtering) makes plenty of sense from a user experience perspective, but that's just me.

EDIT: To be clear, what Twitter is doing now ain't that.

yeah. just wait until someone BUYS an "verification checkmark" for a fake first responder account and starts tweeting... the notion that you appear "verified" by just paying $8 is insane...
This is currently phone and credit card level validation, not notary/ background check level.
And people were reportedly buying check marks before Elon.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don’t expect any of them to knock Tesla off it’s throne in the next 6 months but the fact remains that there is a lot more competition today than there was even last year.
Tesla's stated goal was to show other automakers that EVs were viable and desirable, as no one was wanting to build them twenty years ago. Toyota put out a RAV4EV that had a 95 mile range, but that was about it. Now, with Tesla proving their point, "a lot more competition" is jumping on the wagon. And the entire population is better off for it.

Tesla's stated goal was to show other automakers that EVs were viable and desirable, as no one was wanting to build them twenty years ago. Toyota put out a RAV4EV that had a 95 mile range, but that was about it. Now, with Tesla proving their point, "a lot more competition" is jumping on the wagon. And the entire population is better off for it.
They’re still a generation ahead on the cars and eons away on charging network.

Reactions: wipster
Last edited:
  • Funny
…and how many people reading tweets understand the difference? Not the twitter diehards and tech savvy, just the average people. I’d be willing to bet the majority don’t, and that’s the point.
Yep. Musk's new $8-a-month Twitter verification scheme sparks chaos as fake accounts flood the site has some other examples.

It doesn't help with the moving target of what marks mean. Before Musk's mucking, the blue verified check was for celebrities and important figures then expanded to many companies.

Then, IIRC, he wanted to allow anyone to pay $8/mo to get that same check, so they can easily spoof whoever, hence the suggestion of an icon for that being $8. Then it changed again and so on.

This is waaaaayyy beyond the fast, aggressive and sweeping changes -- breaking a few eggs for a good omelet -- I expected. And well beyond something that can be waved away with “it’s still early days."
Executives quitting en masse because they’re afraid they might go to prison, Musk lawyer saying (allegedly) Elon isn’t afraid to take risks with the FTC ...wait for it... because he shoots rockets into space.
FTC saying specifically no CEO is above the law, and eyeing fines that would be "many multiples” of the most recent Twitter fine, $150 million.
And then Elon’s email: “Without significant subscription revenue, there is a good chance Twitter will not survive the upcoming economic downturn,” Musk warned. “We need roughly half our revenue to be subscriptions.”

Uhhhh, maybe you should have looked at the books before you bought the place, and got a sense of how ineffective the Twitter’s business model is?

Yeah, sounds like it was a lot of people stomping their feet and didn't want to come back for in-person work:

"The attorney's message comes after Musk announced he'd require employees to be in the office 40 hours a week, eliminating remote work. The attorney believes this is a "fundamental change to our employment contracts," they wrote to the Slack group consisting of over 2,000 members. "I do not, personally, believe that Twitter employees have an obligation to return to the office. Certainly not on no notice."

Considering Twitter was an in-person shop before the pandemic, I seriously doubt if there were material changes to contracts that actually allow what this person is complaining about. If there were, lots of lawsuits would have already been filed against Elon by the employees.

Chalking this one up to someone didn't want to come to the office, so is quitting instead. Trimming more of that fat.

Yeah, sounds like it was a lot of people stomping their feet and didn't want to come back for in-person work:

"The attorney's message comes after Musk announced he'd require employees to be in the office 40 hours a week, eliminating remote work. The attorney believes this is a "fundamental change to our employment contracts," they wrote to the Slack group consisting of over 2,000 members. "I do not, personally, believe that Twitter employees have an obligation to return to the office. Certainly not on no notice."

Considering Twitter was an in-person shop before the pandemic, I seriously doubt if there were material changes to contracts that actually allow what this person is complaining about. If there were, lots of lawsuits would have already been filed against Elon by the employees.

Chalking this one up to someone didn't want to come to the office, so is quitting instead. Trimming more of that fat.
He did also say they continue to have "unlimited PTO," which I'm guessing some are going to try to use. Transitional time will be bumpy, no doubt.

Elon’s email: “Without significant subscription revenue, there is a good chance Twitter will not survive the upcoming economic downturn,” Musk warned. “We need roughly half our revenue to be subscriptions.”
I think that Twitter is going to have a VERY hard time getting to 50% revenue from subscriptions, unless advertising revenue goes down by 70-80%.

I don't see Twitter Blue as being worth $8/mo to an individual unless your business depends on it. In which case, it's probably worth more than $8/mo.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I also think there's multiple things wrong with Twitter Blue, anyway.

The biggest thing being that Elon is actually turning Twitter into a platform where it's pay-to-play - you pay $8/mo and your voice is amplified. Pay-to-play is also the biggest problem in politics today, too - just look at how many 0.1%ers are politicians and how many self-bankroll their election campaigns.

Well funded interests will have no issue paying people $8/mo to be their mouthpiece. Joe the plumber, on the other hand, will not pay and will not be heard.

He did also say they continue to have "unlimited PTO," which I'm guessing some are going to try to use. Transitional time will be bumpy, no doubt.

Unlimited PTO . . . how is that even viable? I mean, as a business owner who would ever allow something like that?

Twitter is the posterchild for how low can you go on running a company. 9x% fat.

Unlimited PTO . . . how is that even viable? I mean, as a business owner who would ever allow something like that?

Twitter is the posterchild for how low can you go on running a company. 9x% fat.
It's based on trust between the employer and employee. I had unlimited PTO as well with my company, at least officially. But I was watching for abuse because we were small. I can see where it's harder with a larger company.

It's based on trust between the employer and employee. I had unlimited PTO as well with my company, at least officially. But I was watching for abuse because we were small. I can see where it's harder with a larger company.

Yeah, but you freely admit its a solution that doesn't scale.

The labor market is turning, and quickly. With Twitter layoffs, and now 11,000 laid off from Facebook, things are going to change really quickly in this industry. For better or worse, that's what the Fed is going for.

Yeah, but you freely admit its a solution that doesn't scale.

The labor market is turning, and quickly. With Twitter layoffs, and now 11,000 laid off from Facebook, things are going to change really quickly in this industry. For better or worse, that's what the Fed is going for.
Yep, it can use a cooling off. And it'll hopefully trickle down into the housing market, which can also use a cooling off.

Status
Not open for further replies.