Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LoL, damn he knows how to troll...lol.
1668564483746.png

As has been beaten to near death here - you DON'T bring that the boss's attention in a PUBLIC VENUE. The goal with that is to not productively help the boss understand something, but to attempt to embarrass him.
And as has also been pointed out, Elon brought it up on a public channel with incorrect information.
Maybe he did want a public response. But a more constructive and polite one that wouldn't understandably tick him off? You can point out when somebody (even Elon) is incorrect about something in a polite way, rather than giving a patronising and attitude-laden brain dump.
well, the response was quite constructive. It laid out what Frohnhoefer thought were the problems and what he thought needed to be done to fix them.
Well, the employee pointed that out - he wasn't contacted through Slack or other internal channels. But it turns out from a post upthread that a slew of people being critical even on Slack were fired. So I don't think it matters where or how you say it. You just can't say it right now.
…and it appears that the forum used for criticism doesn‘t matter anyway. It appears that Elon just doesn’t want to get feedback or can’t take any criticism.
The way I read the situation is that Elon called out the engineers publicly as grossly incompetent and they defended themselves publicly because they don’t care if they get fired.
This

I’m staring to feel like I should cut out people in my life that attack Elon. They just don’t realize that they are being brainwashed to not like him. If they think that having a platform for free speech is a bad thing then screw them. I don’t want to be associated with people that think this way.

Weird.

I'm able to be a huge fan of Elon's work at Tesla and Space-X, own a Tesla, and still think he's making a dumpster fire out of Twitter.

Does that make me a "brainwashed Elon hater" or could it be the reverse, that I'm talking to a brainwashed Elon worshiper who can't accept any mistake by dear leader?

Also: You are aware that Elon is literally personally banning all kinds of "free speech" on Twitter, right?

Yeah I don't understand why people started to think the company they work for is a democracy? No it's as close to fascism as you can go. You are limited to what you can say, wear, and do while on the clock. Any deviation from this will result in termination.

I think these software company workers with their free lattes and ping pong tables completely forgot what it means to be at work
No one says it‘s a democracy. They do hope that constructive criticism and ideas for improving the company will be take seriously instead of as threats to power. There’s no better way to destroy morale than to beat down and fire people who try to make things better.

Weird.

I'm able to be a huge fan of Elon's work at Tesla and Space-X, own a Tesla, and still think he's making a dumpster fire out of Twitter.

Does that make me a "brainwashed Elon hater" or could it be the reverse, that I'm talking to a brainwashed Elon worshiper who can't accept any mistake by dear leader?

Also: You are aware that Elon is literally personally banning all kinds of "free speech" on Twitter, right?
I'll raise you that I have a strong belief that Elon will lead a successful rebuild of Twitter's entire compute infrastructure while making a dumpster fire of the social platform. I suspect that the rebuild of the compute / payment infrastructure will become a highly profitable business, but Elon really is setting himself to be a large political target with all the uninformed conspiracy posting.

Fragile CEO ego syndrome is not a great look.

I’m staring to feel like I should cut out people in my life that attack Elon. They just don’t realize that they are being brainwashed to not like him. If they think that having a platform for free speech is a bad thing then screw them. I don’t want to be associated with people that think this way.
I'm curious as to how/why you think people are being brainwashed here, because I think it's the opposite. All you have to do is read Elon's tweets and it's clear he's acting like a giant douche bag, and seems to take a lot of personal enjoyment in doing so. He's been slowly ramping up this behavior over the years, but the last couple weeks it's taken a whole 'nother level.

I think the worst thing about this whole dumpster fire, is that Elon is only further reinforcing the wealthy, egotistic image he has, and this image is rubbing off on the companies he owns. It's also truly highlighting the worst parts of Twitter. It's no surprise that so many advertisers are pausing/pulling ads.

Some have said that he has acted this same way for a long time, going back to the early Tesla days and probably long before that and that may be true to some degree. But it sure doesn't seem like it was anywhere near this bad. Maybe it just wasn't as public?

I can't say I agree with this - I have seen quite a few people bash Elon for this, but what exactly are you talking about? The only free speech I have seen additional enforcement was against parody accounts that were not properly labeled. A "free speech absolutist" would have allowed those accounts to continue. Similarly, a true "free speech absolutist" would allow all those spam bots to continue posting. While perhaps unethical, I don't see that there are any specific laws against them.

Now if you're talking about Elon firing employees for not toeing the new company line - well - they got to say what they wanted to - and faced the consequence. I think Elon firing a lot of these people is not likely to be the correct decision. But there's no violation of free speech going on here.

Now if you wanted to argue that there's some cancel culture going on - that's a whole other story...

Companies are effectively monarchies. If the employees don't like what Elon is doing, simply put, they can leave.

Twitter isn't "employee owned". They have zero say unless Elon solicits their opinions. No way Elon is going to allow public criticism from this group, and he should not.

What you're forgetting is that Twitter is full of people hostile to Elon, and Elon knows this. Twitter right now is occupied territory full of hostiles. Tensions are high, if that wasn't obvious from the vicious replies from the Left and the hit pieces all over the web.

So, the stakes are high and tolerance for open vitriol on Twitter (or Slack) aren't going to be met with charitable nuance. Not yet. Once Elon is done firing the ideologues and the malcontents he might receive criticism a bit better, but these same Leftist types are also the ones attacking Elon on Twitter and everywhere else—using strawman arguments, dishonest reporting, data cherry-picking, character assassination, and all of the usual tricks the Left use on their ideological opponents. Some on Twitter starting spamming racial epithets hoping this toxic Twitter would be associated with Elon. Then people were impersonating Elon and saying the craziest things. The Leftist strategies are so dishonorable that I'm surprised anyone defends their tactics.

Let's not forget AOC and Elizabeth Warren accusing Elon of not paying taxes when he's probably paid more than any human in history. Did they ever walk that back? Not that I've heard. Did Mary Barra ever correct Biden about Elon leading the way for EVs? Of course not.

If nothing else, employees who want to keep their jobs should mind their Ps and Qs until the dust settles a bit. Too much dissent right now just tells Elon that X employee is a troublemaker, and he's not going to respond well to that.

Last edited:
I’m just going by what I see in his Twitter posts. His default mode is to push a contrarian narrative, not to find out what is true. The whole “woke war III” narrative he and Sacks were pushing a couple months ago is a perfect example.

Interesting false dichotomy, but this is just your interpretation. I have my own interpretation. However, Elon has proven the world wrong twice with two complex systems (cars and space vehicles) and Twitter isn't nearly as complicated as those, especially when he can hire experts who'll actually listen to him.

Perhaps you enjoy working in that type of environment but not everyone does. Many people have the choice to work somewhere else and will do so. “Communicate fearlessly to build trust.” is literally on the wall of Twitter HQ. Of course Elon has every right to change the corporate culture but it seems like it’s going to be painful transition for him and everyone else involved.

That's adorable. Well Antifa stands for 'anti-fascist', but they are fascists of a type.

Twitter had a terrible track record for 'fearless communication'. Why do you think Elon spent 44B to buy it?

Google told us, 'Don't be Evil' yet they are evil and censor 'wrongthink', including James Damore for explaining too clearly the difference between the incidence of male and female candidates in STEM. No discussion. Just fired.

Google owns YouTube, and they will demonetize you for wrongthink too. Ask me (or SMR) how we know.

The culture is what Elon wants it to be, but let's not kid ourselves.....nothing was free about speech on Twitter before Elon bought it. It was a toxic dumpster fire of woke narratives and wildly imbalanced 'punishment' by the 'algorithm'.

Last edited:
This may be paywalled. If someone wants they can share an open link.

Please explain to me why this is a good idea. Why would you stay under such an openly hostile situation? 3 months' severance sounds like a good deal.

All employees: commit to hardcore Twitter or take severance.

He's just shaking loose the cockroaches. It's a shock and awe campaign to test people and get them to quit on their own if they're not happy. Good strategy given how many Elon-hostile people remain at Twitter.

This may be paywalled. If someone wants they can share an open link.

Please explain to me why this is a good idea. Why would you stay under such an openly hostile situation? 3 months' severance sounds like a good deal.

All employees: commit to hardcore Twitter or take severance.
Sounds like he’s going for a wholesale culture change at twitter and trying to be hardcore about it. It’s probably necessary, TBH, but I agree - this probably isn’t the best way to do it. He also runs the risk of so much attrition that he won’t be able to do anything.

The entire cluster of the last few weeks is just baffling. He barged in, started making big changes without fully vetting them, understanding their impact, or properly preparing for them, fires a bunch of people, some of which he needed to keep, destroyed public confidence in twitter, alienated his advertisers and made himself look bad. All of this could have been avoided by slowing down a bit.

He's just shaking loose the cockroaches. It's a shock and awe campaign to test people and get them to quit on their own if they're not happy. Good strategy given how many Elon-hostile people remain at Twitter.
That may be, but I would wonder if the doors will be open in 3 months. Severance pay might be a the safer bet.

Also, I have no idea, but there is question as to whether forcing employees to commit to some vague work ethic is even legal.

He might be shaking loose a lot more than cockroaches. The best and brightest might feel they're needed elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.