Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, hindsight is 20/20.. some people got COVID correct.. some got it wrong. It's time for a post mortem and figure out why some people were right and some people wrong; and how to be better at this type of things. Perhaps those that "got it right" -- we should listen to them more and those that got it wrong -- we should listen to them less.
No one “got it right.” We generally all lumped through the best we could — except those who politicized it fir personal gain while undermining vaccines — and people are working out the lessons learned right now in useful ways generally out of the hogwash spotlight.
Investigating public health officials in a circus — I mean, Congress and Twitter - isn’t a productive way to do a post mortem.
TMC investor thread ain’t the place for a post mortem of public health issues either.
Last time I’m reading or posting on this unless Twitter related.
Covid and Fauci disinformation is in plenty supply elsewhere.

So there is accountability? Assuming Fauci was wrong, why did he not get fired? Was there also a major shakeup at the CDC? Were there changes in protocol? Changes on how they made decisions on recommendations, changes that would make the CDC more accurate and "correct" instead of changing their guidance so much, etc. etc.. .. If not, why not?????
Public health policy has been neglected for decades, i.e. since 1980. Elections are the way to change these things. We as a nation seem to lack the knowledge and political will to do much about it. Maybe if COVID had killed 10 million instead of "only" one million we would behave differently?

He's getting extremely right wing political and alienating customers and the brand is suffering. People who wanted to buy a Tesla no longer do. No bueno.
Interesting! I never paid much attention to the CEO's of any cars I have owned, but listening to Elon is what made me believe in Tesla and his vision, which is why I purchased stock, and a Tesla. Contrary to where I live, I am a conservative so hearing anyone say right-wing propaganda versus the left-wing propaganda I usually hear is welcome 😂. Regardless, of what Elon says, I will still enjoy my Tesla. Thanks for the in-sight on the situation!

With the power of hindsight, we can actually tell who got what right.. and who got what wrong... and who was mostly right and who was mostly wrong. Yes, politicizing things do not help. Scientist cannot be right all the time, but there will be some that are right more than others. We need to find them and elevate them while dismissing those that got it mostly wrong.

As time progresses, more and more people seem to think Fauci got it mostly wrong. I agree with this, however, I am open to research on the subject. In other words, what did Fauci get right? I really cant' think of too much.. at this time, I can't think of anything to be honest. I'm sure he must of got something right.
He was right in September 2020 (maybe Rand Paul should be held accountable for this)
During a congressional hearing last week, Senator Rand Paul, a former eye surgeon, engaged in a heated exchange on the topic with Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the country’s leading infectious disease expert. The senator argued that New York’s outbreak slowed because of T-cell immunity. Dr. Fauci quickly countered: “If you believe 22 percent is herd immunity, I believe you’re alone in that.”

In a later interview, Dr. Fauci said that he “knew of no scientific evidence” that common cold-derived T-cells protect against infection with SARS-CoV-2. Furthermore, he added, any contention that the pandemic was dying out “makes absolutely no sense at all.”

No one “got it right.” We generally all lumped through the best we could — except those who politicized it fir personal gain while undermining vaccines — and people are working out the lessons learned right now in useful ways generally out of the hogwash spotlight.
Investigating public health officials in a circus — I mean, Congress and Twitter - isn’t a productive way to do a post mortem.
TMC investor thread ain’t the place for a post mortem of public health issues either.
Last time I’m reading or posting on this unless Twitter related.
Covid and Fauci disinformation is in plenty supply elsewhere.

Swerving back towards reality and this thread. Here is where we find our selves. It only took a couple of minutes of research to compare (a) what Elon tweeted on March 6, 2020, (b) the transcript of the 60 minutes interview of Dr. Fauci from March 8, 2020, and (c) due to a well documented covid timeline, to see exactly how many cases and deaths there were in California on March 6, 2020.

Elon and Fauci coudl have both been right. In early March of 2020, a scan of the record shows that no one knew with enough certainty as to how Covid was transmitted to make definitive calls. By then, it was already known it was not like Aids, but the extent of airborne spread knowledge was months away. So Elon could have been right, had transmission required contact, there would have been no need to worry about gatherings of more than X many people, since it would not have been the gathering but whether people touched one another. Compare "monkepox." No Tesla factories were ever closed due to monkeypox.

Fauci was also correct at the time. His statement was in a total different context. His job was to recommend the minimum restrictions needed. At the time, the hope was limited quarantining would stop the spread. He did not say "masks were useless" That is a BS re-phrasing. He said that people did not need to be walking around masked. Well, once an airborne virus gets endemic of course it helps quite a bit if everyone walks around masked. And that's where it ended up, for all but a select group of known-nothings like MTG.

But back to Twitter. What I just did was basic editorial research that the most fresh out of journalism school junior mint would be expected to do at their first job.

But Twitter isn't a newspaper, its not even a publisher. I don't see how Twitter can ever have enough staff to handle even the most basic editorial function. All that could be done is what sort of happens here, you make some guidelines, which have nothing to do with the First Amendment, but function as a sort of "as rough as could possibly be rough" form of editing.

I don't even see how an AI aided fact checker could do it.

Every magazine, every car blog refers to Tesla as a Luxury manufacturer. But I do agree, it's not a luxurious car at all.
Perhaps. And Consumer Reports tries to evaluate EVs when they have no clue as to what matters to an EV owner. The fact that OG car people and publications have no idea how to deal with EVs means that you should ignore them when when you are making decisions.

By "luxury" I suspect these people mean "costs a lot" and nothing more coherent than that. No actual idea what you might be paying for.

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 5.34.54 PM.png

Elon is committed. At least he's clear about his opinions. If I understand correctly, Elon thinks COVID was caused by a virus that arose out of GOF research, lol?

Anyway, it seems like this will be net negative for Tesla, TSLA, Twitter, and Elon.

(And yes, I reported the hateful Tweet this morning, since it's hard to interpret it in any other way other than completely lacking in human decency.)

I'm not going to discuss it further here, there's a whole separate Coronavirus thread for that, but since Elon made the statement on Twitter, the evidence that SARS-CoV-2 arose from GOF research or from a lab is extremely, extremely weak, and has only gotten weaker over time as more evidence has been gathered and research has been done (it will probably never be 100% certain but that's the way things go). Certainly Elon is way out over his skis if that's the claim he is making, that much is clear. (Hopefully this will all show up in Community Notes shortly, visible to a select few only, lol.)

Just another one of his awful fallacious takes which are so commonplace.

Last edited:
What people forget is at that time the thought was the virus would not transfer far in the air so masking was only required for people in close proximity with many infected people, i.e. health professionals. Given that "knowledge" and a limited mask supply the advice was not a "flat out lie". As we gained data the advice changed, that's rational.
No way. Anyone paying attention knew this was a respiratory disease transferred in the air. They certainly did. These nonsense studies they produced showing that the COVID 19 virus was immortal on cardboard and bannisters was ridiculous.

They even admitted they lied afterwards to secure mask supplies from the unwashed masses, so I don’t have a clue why anyone would disagree with my first post which was a statement of fact. Flat out lies are flat out lies, and everything that follows afterwards must be colored by their admitted position that they would tell us what they needed to for the ‘collective good’, regardless of the truth.

Unfortunately.

View attachment 883936

Elon is committed. At least he's clear about his opinions. If I understand correctly, Elon thinks COVID was a virus that arose out of GOF research, lol?

Anyway, it seems like this will be net negative for Tesla, TSLA, Twitter, and Elon.

(And yes, I reported the hateful Tweet this morning, since it's hard to interpret it in any other way other than completely lacking in human decency.)

Elon is that Facebook family member that is really loud and opinionated that you have to eventually block.

I live in Europe, I literally don't know what he's accused of.
He isn't accused of anything other than doing his best in an impossible situation. By sane people at least.

There are, however, endless conspiracy theories spun by the "too stupid (or pretending to be) for science" crowd. Senators Ted Cruz and Rand Paul would be examples of such. These people will happily do anything at all if it might increase their influence or power. Elon seems to have decided to emulate them. This is such a tragedy.

Twitter Files was a huge dud so Elon used his platform to change the narrative.

Sure looks like he will be Tweeting about Hillary Clinton soon.
I'm afraid that you're probably right about that. He already tried baiting her into a back and forth with the classy Paul Pelosi tweet. But she was too smart to dignify that with a response. And we know how well he deals with being ignored.

View attachment 883936

Elon is committed. At least he's clear about his opinions. If I understand correctly, Elon thinks COVID was a virus that arose out of GOF research, lol?

I'm not going to discuss it further here, there's a whole separate Coronavirus thread for that, but since Elon made the statement on Twitter, the evidence that SARS-CoV-2 arose from GOF research or from a lab is extremely, extremely weak, and has only gotten weaker over time as more evidence and research has been done (it will probably never be 100% certain but that's the way things go). Certainly Elon is way out over his skis if that's the claim he is making, that much is clear.

I appreciate that he's actually taking a position versus posting political talking points. I did not expect him to basically accuse China of covering up the origin of SARS-CoV-2. The next installment of The Twitter Files must be 🔥.
Not sure what forcing your pronouns upon others means. I've never been triggered by seeing pronouns in a bio and I've never put them in mine.

This is very typical, ignore the strong arguments(lied under oath, funded gain of function research in wuhan lab) and attack the weak argument(caused "hundred thousands of deaths").

There are two interpretations of what he meant, both are questionable.
1. He might mean that Fauci funded gain of function research on SARS in Wuhan that later leaked out causing the pandemic leading to an excess of x*100k deaths. This is probably not what Elon is referring to, but there is a possibility that this is actually true and imo warrants some investigations.
2. Me might mean that Fauci, under much uncertainty, chose a policy that later turned out to not be the best according to some. Lots of second order effects such as lockdowns/restrictions on schools etc -> weight gain, delayed cancer screenings/kids falling behind in school/poverty ->excess mortality potentially larger than what a let it rip strategy would have caused. See for example:

I agree it's questionable this part of his statements. Might not be untrue, but we don't know yet. The rest though we pretty much know.
Repeating debunked crap here doesn't make it true. Any more than Elon repeating it makes it true. It's still crap.

There were no lies under oath by Fauci. There was no "gain of function" research funded by Fauci. There were tons of excess deaths, pretty much caused by Trump sowing confusion, and morons refusing to adopt public health measures because "freedom". These excess deaths continue to this day. All you have to do to know that is to look at the death rate of those following recommended vaccination practices vs. those not following. It's huge, and a lasting heritage. The only positive side to it is that it's making the population smarter on average.

View attachment 883936

Elon is committed. At least he's clear about his opinions. If I understand correctly, Elon thinks COVID was caused by a virus that arose out of GOF research, lol?

I'm not going to discuss it further here, there's a whole separate Coronavirus thread for that, but since Elon made the statement on Twitter, the evidence that SARS-CoV-2 arose from GOF research or from a lab is extremely, extremely weak, and has only gotten weaker over time as more evidence has been gathered and research has been done (it will probably never be 100% certain but that's the way things go). Certainly Elon is way out over his skis if that's the claim he is making, that much is clear. (Hopefully this will all show up in Community Notes shortly, visible to a select few only, lol.)

Jesus. Elon is off the rails.

This is very typical, ignore the strong arguments(lied under oath, funded gain of function research in wuhan lab) and attack the weak argument(caused "hundred thousands of deaths").

There are two interpretations of what he meant, both are questionable.
1. He might mean that Fauci funded gain of function research on SARS in Wuhan that later leaked out causing the pandemic leading to an excess of x*100k deaths. This is probably not what Elon is referring to, but there is a possibility that this is actually true and imo warrants some investigations.
2. Me might mean that Fauci, under much uncertainty, chose a policy that later turned out to not be the best according to some. Lots of second order effects such as lockdowns/restrictions on schools etc -> weight gain, delayed cancer screenings/kids falling behind in school/poverty ->excess mortality potentially larger than what a let it rip strategy would have caused. See for example:

I agree it's questionable this part of his statements. Might not be untrue, but we don't know yet. The rest though we pretty much know.
Guess I was wrong and it was 1:

Status
Not open for further replies.