Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2016 I know from personal experience that millions of people simply could not believe the millions of other people could actually have voted for a jackass like Trump.

Good thing this is off topic, but the downside of 2016 was that we had Hillary as a candidate (a lot of folks felt the Clinton's were sorta crooked...remember Lewinsky? I think Bill sorta ruined her life). I'm not sure what can be an alternative political system, but I don't really like the forced 2 political party system and no one really having a chance. That and politicians are forced to be left or right or they would lose their primary. I assume that's why there are so many independents who are sick of it all.

You lean right and now have to be pro life, you can't support anything gun limiting (even FL passed red flag laws), you are anti-abortion, anti immigration, some would be pro-russia/anti-ukraine, anti climate, anti-woke, anti-covid/masks/fauci, anti-climate change (it's a hoax), what else?

You're left and now, you have to support anything that's immigration (wide open borders baby!), be for climate, you can't drill, pro-abortion, anti-gun, pro-vaccine, etc...

• Funny
Reactions: andy.connor.e

Not surprising...It's easy to go "hard-core" for a week/month and think you can be/do all that or something, then good luck trying to do it sustained for months on end or year+.

You'll burn out and most folks who are successful will just feel it's not worth it and don't need to deal with that crap.

I always thought it was funny all these people thinking they are so great and can fix it and now, we see a top person (who I have no clue who he was not being in tech) drop out/give up.

The only reason people want him to resign from Tesla is because of the media noise 24/7 reporting. No one is making any critiques of his poor performance running Tesla.
I vehemently disagree. Many people want him gone from Tesla because he changed from being Dr-Ironman to being Mr-Twitter and he can no longer be trusted. Many people don't want Tesla to be associated with wacky alt-right nonsense. It's not the media noise that's the problem. It's Elon's words and actions.

If Elon could go back to being Dr-Ironman then I don't think there would be any problem. But it seems he can't help himself anymore and he is unable to act in his own best interest or in the the best interest of Twitter or Tesla. One small example. Trying to "own the libs" or joking about "owing the libs" may have been great fun at the time but it was a colossally stupid business decision, especially for someone trying to run a social media platform that depends on appealing to a wide range of users and advertisers. At the very least Elon has exhibited extremely poor impulse control which should disqualify him from most jobs that have significant responsibility and authority.

On the same day last week that Musk said “I will make sure Tesla shareholders benefit from Twitter long-term" he sold (or it was announced that he sold) another $3.6B of TSLA. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. Musk could easily stop half the damage he is causing by taking a sabbatical from tweeting. Yet he seems incapable of doing that. To paraphrase Tom Waits:

I don't have a tweeting problem 'cept when I can't make a tweet ...

So now you’re admonishing him for the company he allegedly keeps online. He’s not hanging out with the dude in his day-to-day, He’s not bringing him on as an advisor in an official capacity.

And from what I can tell without going and looking for it he’s not even agreeing with Ian specifically on that point.

This collectivist stuff is for the birds. By giving this any credence and amplifying it you’re feeding into the FUD thus stepping on your own rake when you complain of the share price.
from all of your comments, the only phrase that comes to mind is, Bless your heart!

The new guy should be CEO, Elon CTO.

The board should give the CEO matching instructions and Elon has a say there.

It is pointless the CEO trying to have impact into technology and product development, the is Elon's truf.

The CEO can run:-
  • HR
  • Marketing
  • Accounts
  • Public Relations
  • Moderation
  • Customer complaints
Everything under the normal business operations banner.

They will need to have official polices for things like Moderation, anyone who takes the CEO job will want to have some input in these areas.
Sorry but if the CEO has no say over the product (which is what the tech consists of, because the tech IS the product).

Then said CEO is useless and is just a puppet. If Elon wanted to turn Twitter into tiktok and the CEO can’t stop him then how is he a CEO? All the task you listed is what someone else can do. Example: HR, get a HR manager/director.

The CTO is supposed to implement the vision of the CEO, not the other way around.

Good thing this is off topic, but the downside of 2016 was that we had Hillary as a candidate (a lot of folks felt the Clinton's were sorta crooked...remember Lewinsky? I think Bill sorta ruined her life). I'm not sure what can be an alternative political system, but I don't really like the forced 2 political party system and no one really having a chance. That and politicians are forced to be left or right or they would lose their primary. I assume that's why there are so many independents who are sick of it all.

You lean right and now have to be pro life, you can't support anything gun limiting (even FL passed red flag laws), you are anti-abortion, anti immigration, some would be pro-russia/anti-ukraine, anti climate, anti-woke, anti-covid/masks/fauci, anti-climate change (it's a hoax), what else?

You're left and now, you have to support anything that's immigration (wide open borders baby!), be for climate, you can't drill, pro-abortion, anti-gun, pro-vaccine, etc...
Of course it may be because I have lived in Socal for 50 years, but i’ve met alot of liberals and never heard one in favor of “wide open borders baby.” if you use the actual definition of those words.. That’s Fox BS lying to conservatives about what liberals think. You always have to remember to re define accordions to Fox, since anything other than fill the Rio Grande with alligators and set up machine gun pillboxes to finish off half dead migrant children is “wide open borders.”

Sorry but if the CEO has no say over the product (which is what the tech consists of, because the tech IS the product).

Then said CEO is useless and is just a puppet. If Elon wanted to turn Twitter into tiktok and the CEO can’t stop him then how is he a CEO. All the task you listed is what someone else can do. Example: HR, get a HR manager/director.

The CTO is supposed to implement the vision of the CEO, not the other way around.
We are talking about Elon here, the CEO providing the product vision isn't going to happen.

What you are talking about tis convention, not a mandatory requirement. Twitter isn't a listed company, the board can run it however they like.

To me the whole gerrymandering thing causes problems with the house of representatives. If the districts were more random then the folks wouldn't be pushed to the extremes to win the primary & election. Right now they get rewarded for going extreme to either side as appropriate for their carefully crafted district and their constituents cheer. If they had more balanced set of voters to represent they might have to figure out how to make the group folks back home happy.

I vehemently disagree. Many people want him gone from Tesla because he changed from being Dr-Ironman to being Mr-Twitter and he can no longer be trusted. Many people don't want Tesla to be associated with wacky alt-right nonsense. It's not the media noise that's the problem. It's Elon's words and actions.

If Elon could go back to being Dr-Ironman then I don't think there would be any problem. But it seems he can't help himself anymore and he is unable to act in his own best interest or in the the best interest of Twitter or Tesla. One small example. Trying to "own the libs" or joking about "owing the libs" may have been great fun at the time but it was a colossally stupid business decision, especially for someone trying to run a social media platform that depends on appealing to a wide range of users and advertisers. At the very least Elon has exhibited extremely poor impulse control which should disqualify him from most jobs that have significant responsibility and authority.

On the same day last week that Musk said “I will make sure Tesla shareholders benefit from Twitter long-term" he sold (or it was announced that he sold) another $3.6B of TSLA. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. Musk could easily stop half the damage he is causing by taking a sabbatical from tweeting. Yet he seems incapable of doing that. To paraphrase Tom Waits:

I don't have a tweeting problem 'cept when I can't make a tweet ...
Expecting him to stop talking is like the SEC trying to regulate his tweets. It isnt really going to work.

But more importantly, this is exactly my point. "Many people want him gone from Tesla because he changed from being Dr-Ironman to being Mr-Twitter and he can no longer be trusted."
Short term reactions. Hes been running Tesla for over a decade, and a mere 6 weeks of Elon owning twitter and everyone wants him to resign.
One thing that i can definitely see though, is that he is in fact upsetting both sides. I believe what he is doing is working.
But on the note of "especially for someone trying to run a social media platform that depends on appealing to a wide range of users and advertisers", you should do a reality check here. The majority of people are not in the extreme sides and will ultimately like not needing to be afraid of talking about something that someone doesnt agree with.
I am not really sure what Elon selling TSLA shares has to do with him saying that he will make sure shareholders benefit from twitter long-term. Perhaps you are glazing over the long-term part?

echo upsetting both sides

:D

Last edited:
He's being punished for it because the stuff he is putting out there, the stuff he is saying, goes against what most normal people would think is acceptable. He's being punished for allowing nazis back on the platform? Good! He's being punished for making fun of trans people? Good! He's being punished for attacking our public health professionals and spreading COVID conspiracies and misinformation? Good!

It's almost like he's actually running a private business that hosts a social forum, and a majority of people are deciding they don't like it and are taking their speech and attention elsewhere.... which is kinda capitalism at work isn't it?

Reactions: DrGriz
Whatever. I just know that if people weren’t so willing to buy into the negative press by an undoubtedly state compromised media machine perhaps we wouldn’t be where we are as a country.

Elon is exposing that and is being punished for it along with the shareholders of TSLA since Twitter is a private company and they can only do so much in an overt manner.

Keep feeding the monster if you wanna see $100/share, or you can fight back and say no to those who want to subvert common decency and promote societal rot.
dont you want $100/share?

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
Everybody knows most of the folks in the American cultural milieu Elon is courting would rather roll coal than give half a thought to climate change. They exist, like he is seemingly these days, to push cruelty, contrarianism and suffering so they can feel like they’ve won. He is completely destroying the allure from his potential customer base. And it won’t end well.

It is really weird to have had Elon's mental issues cause him to fall in with the conspiracy crowd that basically opposes everything he stood for and was striving to accomplish - save the planet, transition off fossil fuels, advance space travel, solar power, grid storage, science, truth, honesty, etc.... very sad

It is really weird to have had Elon's mental issues cause him to fall in with the conspiracy crowd that basically opposes everything he stood for and was striving to accomplish - save the planet, transition off fossil fuels, advance space travel, solar power, grid storage, science, truth, honesty, etc.... very sad
The human journey is fascinating.

Expecting him to stop talking is like the SEC trying to regulate his tweets. It isnt really going to work.
I said the opposite of what you imply I said. I said he is not capable of shutting up even when it's in his own best interest or in the best interest of Twitter or Tesla for him to do so.
But more importantly, this is exactly my point. "Many people want him gone from Tesla because he changed from being Dr-Ironman to being Mr-Twitter and he can no longer be trusted."
This was not your point. Your point was: the only reason people want him to resign from Tesla is because of the media noise 24/7 reporting. What you quote above was my vehement disagreement with your point.

But on the note of "especially for someone trying to run a social media platform that depends on appealing to a wide range of users and advertisers", you should do a reality check here. The majority of people are not in the extreme sides and will ultimately like not needing to be afraid of talking about something that someone doesnt agree with.
Wow! This might have been a naive pipe dream before Elon took over Twitter but it has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of Twitter after his brief stint of ownership.

Hate Speech’s Rise on Twitter Is Unprecedented, Researchers Find​

Hate speech dramatically surges on Twitter following Elon Musk takeover, new research shows​

etc etc

Letting back in Nazis and white supremacists while kicking off reporters for doing their job and reporting on Elon (no mention of ElonJet) is pretty much the exact opposite of the safe public town square Elon promised before reality smacked him in the face. Kicking off people based on a whim or based on retro-active rules change does not create a safe environment where people feel free to speak their mind without being afraid of saying something that Elon might disagree with. The reality Elon created is the exact opposite of the pipe dream he fed you.

The idea that only left wing extremists dislike hate speech, Nazis, and white supremacists is absurd. Half of Twitter's advertisers have already fled (as of Nov. 26). Maybe the people who run all those companies also need a "reality check" and need to be convinced that bad is good and hate is love.

I am not really sure what Elon selling TSLA shares has to do with him saying that he will make sure shareholders benefit from twitter long-term. Perhaps you are glazing over the long-term part?
Ah! The Lucy solution. Even though they lose $.02/bottle, they will make up for it with volume. The highly leveraged buyout saddled Twitter with significant debt that adds about $1B per year in outgo. The number of advertisers has been cut in half which was the major source of income. Elon seems more deranged and erratic by the week.

How on Earth will Elon turn Twitter around from this crash dive so it has any relevance at all in the long term? This question is not entirely rhetorical. If you see any paths to a brighter future for Twitter under Elon's leadership, please share them with us. Selling $3.5B of TSLA every month while Twitter continues to flounder does not benefit Tesla's shareholders.

Elon's pledge without providing any plausible way he can make good on the pledge while at the same time once again selling more TSLA for Twitter is an extraordinarily bad look. It highlights how crippling and disqualifying his inability to shut up really is.

By the time most people become adults they learn the lesson that actions speak louder than words. Musk loses credibility when his empty words are apparently contradicted by his actions. The timing of the sale and his words make it much less likely that concerned shareholders will buy the pie in the sky of his words. It does not matter if the pies are glazed or not.

I knew the whole Twitter thing was going to be a fiasco as soon as it came up last spring. Partly because Elon showed he was utterly clueless about free speech and moderation. But I held out a sliver of hope that he would learn from his mistakes and eventually turn things around. Unfortunately he keeps doubling down on alienating people and telling colossal lies. He refuses to own up to his massive mistakes. This recent combination of pledge and sale shows he is continuing to double down on bluster and is nowhere near learning from his mistakes in a way that will help him turn this mess around.
echo upsetting both sides
This old chestnut. It seems Elon is preferentially upsetting one side while placating and catering to the other. Pissing off a large group of people is not a coherent business model for this line of work. It absolutely does not work when your business depends on appealing to a wide audience and to advertisers. The truth is Elon has done the exact opposite of what was in that "safe public square" pipe dream he sold you. Instead of learning from his mistakes Elon has embraced the dark side:
  • anti-science
  • anti-trans
  • anti-free-speech
  • anti-democracy
  • pro-hate
  • pro-antisemitism
  • pro-Nazi
  • pro-white supremacy
  • pro-wacky right wing conspiracies
This looks bad to the vast majority of people, not just to extreme liberals. Again, I would love to hear how this extremism is part of a recipe for Twitter to maintain relevance in the long term. I can back up everything in this list with specific examples based on Elon's words, his actions, and who he is taking advice from.

Status
Not open for further replies.