Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree is quite the stretch. I think Elon's "brand damage" is minimal.

My social circle spans the political spectrum, and only one very VERY far left person I know complained about Elon. And even then, that person still went and took delivery of their Model Y.
There’s no rational way to argue his Twitter “antics" have helped Tesla. That’s the true bottom line essentially to this entire thread.

There’s no rational way to argue his Twitter “antics" have helped Tesla. That’s the true bottom line essentially to this entire thread.
What he’s saying, is that aside from some special interest participants and activists…..

No. đź‘Ź One. đź‘Ź Cares. đź‘Ź

They just want a nice, competitively priced BEV and Tesla is in a position to meet that mission.

Reactions: Drumheller
What he’s saying, is that aside from some special interest participants and activists…..

They just want a nice, competitively priced BEV and Tesla is in a position to meet that mission.
I care. I just bought my second MS a few weeks ago. I could have gone with a different brand. The fact of the matter is that if you ever want to drive your EV to a different city then you need access to the Supercharger network. No amount of deranged Elon Twitter nonsense will change that in the new future.

But when you say no one cares, that's absolutely false. I'm downplaying this car decision. I don't talk about it on Facebook. When people ask what I drive I say a station wagon. Elon's actions have made me kind of embarrassed to own this car and I'm not alone in thinking that. And being embarrassed to buy a product is not a great strategy for success.

There is no way that these antics are helping. Best case scenario is that they aren't hurting, but there are only possible downsides and zero upsides. Would you ever make a bet where if you win, you get nothing, and if you lose, you pay?
It stops him from micromanaging Tesla. :p
Sounds like that's a pretty good reason for the Tesla board to kick him out. The younger, more immature Steve Jobs was booted by Apple's BoD and when he did come back, he was a better CEO.

Are you admitting that your wants outweighed your principles? That’s nothing to be embarrassed about.

It’s human nature.

Drive your Tesla with pride, anything else is a first world problem.

Principles don't have anything to do with this. Eating chik fil a when they were full on funding gay persecution would be violating principles.

Owning a Tesla in 2023 just means that when the subject of Elon and Twitter comes up I have to lie to people and tell them I've never heard of either.

I care. I just bought my second MS a few weeks ago. I could have gone with a different brand. The fact of the matter is that if you ever want to drive your EV to a different city then you need access to the Supercharger network. No amount of deranged Elon Twitter nonsense will change that in the new future.

But when you say no one cares, that's absolutely false. I'm downplaying this car decision. I don't talk about it on Facebook. When people ask what I drive I say a station wagon. Elon's actions have made me kind of embarrassed to own this car and I'm not alone in thinking that. And being embarrassed to buy a product is not a great strategy for success.
Yep - I used to bring up Tesla and SpaceX a lot. Now I only talk about it when asked about it.

Owning a Tesla in 2023 just means that when the subject of Elon and Twitter comes up I have to lie to people and tell them I've never heard of either.
I don’t believe that you are doing that for anyone but yourself. You find vindication in it and that’s OK as long as you’re honest about it.

No one cares. Take it from someone who’s actually in the auto business and talks to people all day. If anyone has a bone to pick with EM it’s me and the fact that Tesla pricing is taking sales from me. 🤣

Maybe a glutton for punishment but I like the competition.

I didn't say they helped. MY POINT was you have an EXTREMELY left-leaning group in this thread that thinks his antics are destroying Tesla and will cause Tesla sales to crater. THAT NARRATIVE is flat out false.

The HARD DATA is that Tesla grew in sales in 2022, and even Q4 2022, more than any other automaker in all of California. And that in a very left-leaning state. That's just the cold hard facts.

They either just don't matter, or the matter to so few people that it's not material on sales.

According to the Q4 conference call, they were booking sales at twice their production rate. There is no "demand problem".

EDIT - top 2 selling vehicles in California.

Last edited:
There is no way that these antics are helping. Best case scenario is that they aren't hurting, but there are only possible downsides and zero upsides. Would you ever make a bet where if you win, you get nothing, and if you lose, you pay?

Sounds like that's a pretty good reason for the Tesla board to kick him out. The younger, more immature Steve Jobs was booted by Apple's BoD and when he did come back, he was a better CEO.
You’re right on Jobs, and that’s the kind of transformation many of us wish for Musk. But it’s highly unlikely. Jobs was pretty extraordinary with leap in personal growth. There’s no reason to think that capability is common to CEO/jerk/genius types. It may have been nearly unique to Jobs for that species in recent history.
Musk so far shows no sign of being able to make a giant leap in maturity like that, but yeah, a big shake-up like getting booted could trigger it.
Of course, that particular board booting him is even less likely than the personal growth.

you have an EXTREMELY left-leaning group in this thread [...]
This is hilarious. Do you really think there are many people here who believe in worker control of the means of production or who think capitalism (or owning stock) is evil? Sure, it's not uncommon for people on the right (even Elon) to make ridiculous claims like this about people they disagree with but that doesn't make them true. I've seen plenty of extremism in this thread but I have never seen anything close to being extremely left-leaning.

The majority of the "anti-Elon" views expressed here that you are vehemently arguing against (Elon's foray into divisive politics hurts his companies) have also been expressed Elon allies and cheerleaders like Dave Lee and Lex Fridman. Do you think they are even a little left wing?

You’re right on Jobs, and that’s the kind of transformation many of us wish for Musk. But it’s highly unlikely. Jobs was pretty extraordinary with leap in personal growth. There’s no reason to think that capability is common to CEO/jerk/genius types. It may have been nearly unique to Jobs for that species in recent history.
Musk so far shows no sign of being able to make a giant leap in maturity like that, but yeah, a big shake-up like getting booted could trigger it.
Of course, that particular board booting him is even less likely than the personal growth.

To me the underlying worry seems to be that instead of personal growth, the opposite might be happening, if only in appearance, and that this will eventually become a problem of one sort or the other. This isn't so much because of the move from left/centrist to right/activist, but because of the perceived junk food level of the activism part.

EDIT: Didn't read the previous post when writing this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.