Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a tesla motors club, after all, but this is, somewhat ironically a great place for policy since people, certainly you. Do not come here to troll.

After spending minutes wading through Kendi’s summary through your link above, I will leave it that he makes my point. As an academic, he’s not interested in calling people racists, hes pointing out that racism is so systemic no one gets to call themselves a racist (bad) or an anti racist (good) and call it a day, there are endless actions or inactions which are one or the other. Looking at it that way, I’ve had a racist day myself.

But one the other hand, I mean Kendi is a college professor, he’s not a policy maker and no one, effectively, has even read his book. It took a bit more digging but overall sales of “How to be an anti racist” is like 300,000 copies, note that in 2017 sales of Meir Kamph sold 75,000 copies in germany, but no one cites it as proof of anything.

You appears to cite Kendi as proof that people don’t like being called racists by anti racists. I’m sure they don’t. But Kendi would also point out that I don t get to call anyone a racist either. if that sounds silly of course it’s silly, Kendi is a professor intellectual, and does not represent liberal mainstream thought in any way
Kendi represents the DEI infrastructure that is currently being implemented in academic, government, and corporate settings and how the goalposts have moved (especially in that media) in labeling people racists. If you don’t support the new racially biased but “anti racist” policy then you now labeled a racist. If you point out that “hands up don’t shoot” was a lie you are a racist. If you don’t do a “land acknowledgement” at the beginning of your conference talk you are a “racist”. If you don’t put a diversity statement in your job application you are a “racist”. If you don’t commit to hiring “underrepresented” groups (even if there are very few qualified ones in the talent pool) you are a “racist”.

Color blind non racist objective standards are going up against color obsessed anti racist affirmative discrimination right now. Equality vs equity. They are not compatible. Double standards based on group characteristics are racist to equality people but required by equity people. And the equity people have taken to labeling equality people racists for objecting to this implementation. And it has been very effective in trying to discredit people by making them appear toxic. The article linked earlier about Elon and Dilbert immediately labeled Elon a racist by saying that Tesla has had complaints about racism and has few high level black employees and that Elon is a “privileged” white billionaire from South Africa. Before any of the specifics of the situation are issued or any direct quotes are made the headline is clear. “Privileged Elon Musk, who is probably racist, says that racist Dilbert shouldn’t be cancelled after racist rant”… if you don’t see this then we just experience the world differently and there’s nothing more I can say about it that’ll convince you. Which is fine, we all get our opinions.

This is not a “conservative conspiracy”, this is a real ideological battle that is taking place right now.

So you're saying that because he disingenuously pretends to believe that the poll means something, and then twists it to mean something it clearly doesn't, that means he's genuine? Just how stupid do you think he is? And how gullible are you?

This supposed poll was pretty much equivalent to asking people whether they agree or disagree that "Black lives matter". It's trivially obvious that (almost) everybody would agree that that's the case, but many conservatives wouldn't agree because they would perceive the question as trying to gin up a fake political result that they don't like.

The use of the phrase "OK to be white" is transparent race-baiting, at least to anybody who recognizes it. I didn't, but it looked like trolling to me. And Scott Adams, as guy who has been involved in racial politics in the past, was certainly familiar with it. Excusing his behavior as honest ignorance is embarrassingly stupid.
Anyone who didn’t see this the way I do is either an idiot or a “racist”… got it.

I respect your take, but you’re just buying (if only in passing) into this kooky identity politics garbage by acknowledging and giving them an inch of space in your head.

Pay the identity hustlers and their acolytes no mind as it’s never enough and they’ll never not be angry over something. It’s like volunteering for a circular firing squad.
Their position requires them to be angry over something and they are slowly entrenching themselves in every institution making it very difficult to just ignore. That is my problem with them. When I was a technician for the sewer department and we’d find lines that were choked up with roots we’d say “job security” jokingly implying that as long as there are problems with the sewer we still have jobs. What is the incentive structure for a DEI administrator to actually fix anything? What are their deliverables? How do they define success? Does increased tension prove that they are failing or succeeding? There is no measure… but if you’re the guy that goes against the grain at the “white fragility” talk then don’t expect to be a supervisor anytime soon…

Here’s a great example from my personal life. I volunteer tutor in math and physics at a local school. I’ve done it since college. I don’t care who comes for help I just tutor whoever wants it. For whatever reason that ends up being more Asian kids than anything with a good bit of white kids and few black or Hispanic kids. The school is like 50/30/10/10 W/B/A/H.

The Asian kids do best in school because that’s pretty much how it is everywhere.
So a new administrator suggests I do outreach to the black and Hispanic community at the school because not many are showing up. I respond that I’m just a volunteer and I help people who want help regardless of group identity because group identity has nothing to do with math or physics. They respond that I am disproportionally helping the asian and white kids who are already doing better in school, likely worsening the outcomes disparities in math and physics classes by race.

In other words… by the Kendi definition I am technically a racist tutor. By the equality definition I am a good guy that volunteers to help anyone that wants it and not many black kids happen to show up.

Their position requires them to be angry over something and they are slowly entrenching themselves in every institution making it very difficult to just ignore. That is my problem with them. When I was a technician for the sewer department and we’d find lines that were choked up with roots we’d say “job security” jokingly implying that as long as there are problems with the sewer we still have jobs. What is the incentive structure for a DEI administrator to actually fix anything? What are their deliverables? How do they define success? Does increased tension prove that they are failing or succeeding? There is no measure… but if you’re the guy that goes against the grain at the “white fragility” talk then don’t expect to be a supervisor anytime soon…

Here’s a great example from my personal life. I volunteer tutor in math and physics at a local school. I’ve done it since college. I don’t care who comes for help I just tutor whoever wants it. For whatever reason that ends up being more Asian kids than anything with a good bit of white kids and few black or Hispanic kids. The school is like 50/30/10/10 W/B/A/H.

The Asian kids do best in school because that’s pretty much how it is everywhere.
So a new administrator suggests I do outreach to the black and Hispanic community at the school because not many are showing up. I respond that I’m just a volunteer and I help people who want help regardless of group identity because group identity has nothing to do with math or physics. They respond that I am disproportionally helping the asian and white kids who are already doing better in school, likely worsening the outcomes disparities in math and physics classes by race.

In other words… by the Kendi definition I am technically a racist tutor. By the equality definition I am a good guy that volunteers to help anyone that wants it and not many black kids happen to show up.
Exactly. They can’t keep the grift up if there isn’t a “problem”. Wouldn’t it be great if we as a nation went back to manufacturing things other than rage?

I guess it’s easy to just put our hand in the next guys pocket rather than actually produce something. 👀

Exactly. They can’t keep the grift up if there isn’t a “problem”. Wouldn’t it be great if we as a nation went back to manufacturing things other than rage?

I guess it’s easy to just put our hand in the next guys pocket rather than actually produce something. 👀

Supported segregation from a South African who grew up in that environment is manufactured outrage?

Oh and please tell us when there wasn’t “rage” in this country and everyone put their heads down to just “manufacture things”.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
Supported segregation from a South African who grew up in that environment is manufactured outrage?

Oh and please tell us when there wasn’t “rage” in this country and everyone put their heads down to just “manufacture things”.
Produce for me a video where EM himself stated in his own words that he supports the practice of apartheid specifically and deliberately.

- No out of context quotes.
- No “Well what he really meant…”
- No deepfakes.

I’ll be waiting.

Produce for me a video where EM himself stated in his own words that he supports the practice of apartheid specifically and deliberately.

- No out of context quotes.
- No “Well what he really meant…”
- No deepfakes.

I’ll be waiting.

I’m still waiting on you to produce proof of this time period when it was all roses in our country……

I’m still waiting

You don’t have to wait, he tweeted support for some dude calling for segregation based off a freaking poll…. Go back, it’s in this thread….unless you want to make an excuse that he meant something else 🙄

Reactions: 30seconds
I’m still waiting on you to produce proof of this time period when it was all roses in our country……
Gotta love this “gotcha”

If it’s such an awful place then why stay? People emigrate every day from their home country for all sorts of reasons (most often though economic)

Why subject yourself to the torture of living in the USA? It’s a big world out there, kiddo. Explore it and let us know if you find somewhere you can be happy.

Gotta love this “gotcha”

If it’s such an awful place then why stay? People emigrate every day from their home country for all sorts of reasons (most often though economic)

Why subject yourself to the torture of living in the USA? It’s a big world out there, kiddo. Explore it and let us know if you find somewhere you can be happy.
Sounds a lot like the saying a ways back..."Love it or leave it". And I thought the spirit of America was still rooted in things like collective barn building..

Gotta love this “gotcha”

I think you should take your own advice since you hate the culture of this country so much.

Gotta love this “gotcha”

You mean the “gotcha” you posted first when I asked about this time period in our country when people put their head down and “just manufactured”?

I’m still waiting on this time period.

Oh and calm down Tom Cruise with the “love it or leave it” 🙄

How many years have you served your country? Exactly. Carry on.

Well, I don't know who you run into, but according to the Kendi I just read on this, his point is not that one needs to expand the definition of who is a racist and who is not a racist, the point is that racism is such a structural problem that one of the reasons that more progress is not being made is that if you just say, "I'm not a racist" its not good enough - its not that you are a racist.

I'm a lawyer, so I am used to reading thick complicated stuff like he writes, but I assure you anyone who is labeling people racists based on a Kendi analysis has it wrong. Of course, that won't stop people from using it.

So of course you are a good guy by any definition. You're not an administrator, so who shows up for your sessions is not your problem, who knows there may have been times where like one kid shows up.

The administrator has a different problem, far different. I am sure that whoever the administrator reports to is grinding them all the time as to why minority kids aren't doing as well in math and physics. If the administrator knew exactly why, and could fix it, the administrator would have the billion dollar idea.

But the administrator knows that tutoring kids who are already good students and motivated does nothing to help already disadvantaged students.

I mean, you have to agree with Kendi, the tutoring program, like just offering more AP classes, are not addressing racial education disparities. You could argue that they help perpetuate disparities but that's hardly your lane.

I am sure the administrator did not suggest cancelling your tutoring unless more minority kids showed up, but really this is the issue (the administrator's not yours).

And this is the issue Kendi identifies -- at this school, a bunch of adults are taking actions every day, and Kendi argues that when it comes to racism there are no neutral actions, an action either addresses racism or it perpetuates racism.

Academics basically try to take things that are obvious and make it sound like they just discovered it. Most of us, of all races, don't lift a finger at all on a daily basis to do anything about racism. Just like we don't lift a finger when there is a flood in Bangladesh that kills tens of thousands, or the earthquake in Turkey. Most people don't do anyting for anyone who is not a member of their family.

Under this rubric you are one of the, probably top ten percent or top five percent of all humans just by your volunteer tutoring. Not only that, but I would rank you above all the people who do outreach in their Church group or whatever becuase part of that motivation is the positive vibes you get from your volunteer pals. You are doing it solo. Well played.

So next time someone tries to tell you that a particular action is not antiracist, point out to them the Kendi, if he were there, would note that reading is book is not antiracist. Let them think that one over.

Well, I don't know who you run into, but according to the Kendi I just read on this, his point is not that one needs to expand the definition of who is a racist and who is not a racist, the point is that racism is such a structural problem that one of the reasons that more progress is not being made is that if you just say, "I'm not a racist" its not good enough - its not that you are a racist.

I'm a lawyer, so I am used to reading thick complicated stuff like he writes, but I assure you anyone who is labeling people racists based on a Kendi analysis has it wrong. Of course, that won't stop people from using it.

So of course you are a good guy by any definition. You're not an administrator, so who shows up for your sessions is not your problem, who knows there may have been times where like one kid shows up.

The administrator has a different problem, far different. I am sure that whoever the administrator reports to is grinding them all the time as to why minority kids aren't doing as well in math and physics. If the administrator knew exactly why, and could fix it, the administrator would have the billion dollar idea.

But the administrator knows that tutoring kids who are already good students and motivated does nothing to help already disadvantaged students.

I mean, you have to agree with Kendi, the tutoring program, like just offering more AP classes, are not addressing racial education disparities. You could argue that they help perpetuate disparities but that's hardly your lane.

I am sure the administrator did not suggest cancelling your tutoring unless more minority kids showed up, but really this is the issue (the administrator's not yours).

And this is the issue Kendi identifies -- at this school, a bunch of adults are taking actions every day, and Kendi argues that when it comes to racism there are no neutral actions, an action either addresses racism or it perpetuates racism.

Academics basically try to take things that are obvious and make it sound like they just discovered it. Most of us, of all races, don't lift a finger at all on a daily basis to do anything about racism. Just like we don't lift a finger when there is a flood in Bangladesh that kills tens of thousands, or the earthquake in Turkey. Most people don't do anyting for anyone who is not a member of their family.

Under this rubric you are one of the, probably top ten percent or top five percent of all humans just by your volunteer tutoring. Not only that, but I would rank you above all the people who do outreach in their Church group or whatever becuase part of that motivation is the positive vibes you get from your volunteer pals. You are doing it solo. Well played.

So next time someone tries to tell you that a particular action is not antiracist, point out to them the Kendi, if he were there, would note that reading is book is not antiracist. Let them think that one over.
I really appreciate the thoughtful response, it is rare for an Internet forum to find people who actually engage with what you are saying. I apologize if I ascribed any beliefs to you that aren’t yours…

It is not that I think Kendi has no point, but as you’ve pointed out it is basically univariate analysis and circular logic to state something simple and obvious. My concern is not some academic idea, it is the embrace of this idea by midwit administrators and activists journalists that have just enough institutional power to mess up people’s lives if they question it.

Anyways, we’ve beat this to death. I appreciate the conversation.

I really appreciate the thoughtful response, it is rare for an Internet forum to find people who actually engage with what you are saying. I apologize if I ascribed any beliefs to you that aren’t yours…

It is not that I think Kendi has no point, but as you’ve pointed out it is basically univariate analysis and circular logic to state something simple and obvious. My concern is not some academic idea, it is the embrace of this idea by midwit administrators and activists journalists that have just enough institutional power to mess up people’s lives if they question it.

Anyways, we’ve beat this to death. I appreciate the conversation.
Thanks, I'm sure everyone else wants to get back to Elon and Twitter, you are certainly right about that.

Reactions: philw1776
Getting back to stock grants. I recall when I worked at a startup I had to pay taxes on my stock. Of course the valuation of the company was low because we had only received a small amount of angel funding so it wasn’t a big a deal. This is great because if the company gets sold or goes public it’s treated as long term capital gains.
How would equity work at Twitter? Wouldn’t giving employees stock at the $44 billion valuation result in huge tax liability?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
New free speech policy

You may not incite, promote, or encourage others to commit acts of violence or harm, which includes (but is not limited to) encouraging others to hurt themselves or inciting others to commit atrocity crimes including crimes against humanity, war crimes or genocide. This also includes using coded language (often referred to as "dog whistles") to indirectly incite violence.

I wonder how some of his new friends will feel about this?

New free speech policy

I wonder how some of his new friends will feel about this?

I think refusing to propogate calls to violence is a good policy.

It's also the opposite of free-speech-absolutism, so Elon's basically implementing the stuff he claimed to hate... likely because he has had to actually try and run a social media company now and before he was just spouting off about it.

Well, looks like Musk will either have to give up persecuting Fauci or risk losing access to the Chinese market. Let’s see where his conviction$ lie. 🤔

China's CCP warns Elon Musk against sharing Wuhan lab leak report

A Chinese state-run newspaper issued a warning to Tesla CEO Elon Musk after he shared reporting on the U.S. Department of Energy's "low confidence" assessment that the global Covid pandemic originated in a Wuhan laboratory.

I think refusing to propogate calls to violence is a good policy.

It's also the opposite of free-speech-absolutism, so Elon's basically implementing the stuff he claimed to hate... likely because he has had to actually try and run a social media company now and before he was just spouting off about it.
He’s playing 4 dimensional chess with himself.

• Funny
Reactions: blckdmp and JRP3
Status
Not open for further replies.