Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, looks like Musk will either have to give up persecuting Fauci or risk losing access to the Chinese market. Let’s see where his conviction$ lie. 🤔

China's CCP warns Elon Musk against sharing Wuhan lab leak report

A Chinese state-run newspaper issued a warning to Tesla CEO Elon Musk after he shared reporting on the U.S. Department of Energy's "low confidence" assessment that the global Covid pandemic originated in a Wuhan laboratory.
He’s gone farther than just saying it was a lab leak. He claims that it was optimized to be more contagious through funding approved by Fauci.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised that he’s willing to stand up to the CCP though disappointed that he hasn’t provided evidence for his claim.

New free speech policy

I wonder how some of his new friends will feel about this?
It's interesting that this particular account tweeted that. These days I'm used to Elon personally announcing every tweak to the site.

I'm expecting a follow up from him where he includes wokeness under violent rhetoric.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
He’s gone farther than just saying it was a lab leak. He claims that it was optimized to be more contagious through funding approved by Fauci.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised that he’s willing to stand up to the CCP though disappointed that he hasn’t provided evidence for his claim.
Maybe he is on to something, you never know! Twitter sleuthing I am sure will reveal the truth, it always does.

I’m not entirely sure why he doesn’t just take the L and withdraw Tesla from China - then he can really stand up against the CCP. It is only 40% of sales or whatever so it is not a major hit and should easily be recoverable. And he would score big points domestically all around.

There is a lot less incentive to make vehicles there now anyway, thankfully; it is just the loss of the market to worry about. There are plenty of other markets!

Just have to rip off the BandAid and do the right thing.

Or just say whatever he wants and stop worrying about what happens (seems to be his MO anyway), without actually withdrawing. I’m sure he has leverage too - the Chinese seem to like American vehicles, though not sure the status of consumer preferences in China these days, really.

It's interesting that this particular account tweeted that. These days I'm used to Elon personally announcing every tweak to the site.

I'm expecting a follow up from him where he includes wokeness under violent rhetoric.

I'm waiting for the person who tweeted it to be fired, because Elon only wants hardcore ninja workers... who mindlessly follow his personal politics

• Funny
Reactions: italian bread
I'd say he can't escalate it without solid evidence.
Elon has provided the free speech platform.
Elon has accelerated the Wuhan lab discussion.
Elon will stop there for Tesla's sake.
Elon will continue to provide the free speech platform for others to continue the fight included trying to pull evidence from Wuhan. If it is true, someone will talk eventually.

Musk recently fired another 200 Twitter staff, didn’t he?

Twitter’s timeline just isn’t loading right now

The site itself is still accessible and you can still tweet, but users are reporting that their timelines aren’t loading either on the web or on mobile apps.

There’s been a spike of reports for the site on DownDetector starting around 5AM ET, with users reporting broken timelines in the US, UK, and elsewhere.

There’s been no word on the outage so far from Twitter Support, but the site has been increasingly glitchy since Elon Musk’s takeover and widespread layoffs. The company itself seems to be slowly falling apart, with reports of internal tools like Slack and Jira shutting down without warning, leaving employees to take unscheduled days off.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Elon has provided the free speech platform.
Elon has accelerated the Wuhan lab discussion.
Elon will stop there for Tesla's sake.
Elon will continue to provide the free speech platform for others to continue the fight included trying to pull evidence from Wuhan. If it is true, someone will talk eventually.

"To learn who rules over you, find out who you can't critize."

I think we're about to figure out who Elon answers to.

"To learn who rules over you, find out who you can't critize."

I think we're about to figure out who Elon answers to.
Kowtowing to the CCP is going to cause blowback from the general public and both major US political parties. A big reason why I've said that a guy who is CEO of a multinational automobile manufacturer should not own a social media company.

CCP likely sees this as a win-win situation for itself. If Elon continues discussing this, they have an excuse to do something that puts Tesla at a disadvantage in the PRC. If not, he gets blowback from the public in the US plus both major US political parties. Note that the reason he stopped discussing it isn't really relevant -- it's just the perception that he could have stopped discussing it because of CCP threats that matters. Either way, it's a blow to Tesla in one country or the other.

Yeah. Deferring to China is never a good look. Whenever it happens everyone instantly assumes that whoever did it is bought and paid for by China.

John Cena and LeBron James' reputation now always has this hanging over them.
Exactly! That is why it makes sense to pull the plug in China. Tesla does not need them! Use your leverage, Elon!

Bring the Gigafactory home.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
In this case all Elon has to do is STFU regarding COVID origins. If he manages to do that, I don't think it will be noticed by anybody. The dog that doesn't bark goes unnoticed.
Would have worked if he did it 5 years ago. At this point though, he will be accused of kowtowing to the CCP if he does, and he'll be accused of allowing conspiracy theories to propagate on Twitter if he does not. The CCP has cornered Elon into a "damned if he does, damned if he does not" scenario and it's his fault for allowing them to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.