Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It also didn't exist.

Scroll up slightly. He was basing it not on any "trends" at all, but a lie out of China they had dropped to 0 new cases.

Hilariously, China would go on to then keep claiming nobody died for the next 2 years from Covid in the entire country

For example:

That's from April 18th. 2022.

So again, it was Elon confusing "single anecdote" (and not even a factual one, as multiple other sources would confirm) with "actual science and evidence"

It's frankly a bizarre behavior for a dude who is chief engineer at the most successful literal rocket science company in the world.

The CDC link showed a decrease in deaths on the last data point (one point != trend so I didn't mention it). Here's the graph he didn't have:
SmartSelect_20220430-173916_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

More to Elon's data exposure: Giga Shanghai had reopened Feb 10th after what I think was a one to two week shutdown.

But that's rehashing the same stuff from the Covid thread. My point was that you used convenient sound bites instead of full quotes.

I don't know your own background- but it's phenomenally disappointing to see an alleged first principles/science guy like Elon falling into garbage like this.

Yes indeed. Some serious character flaws on display lately and also exhibiting tremendously bad analytical skills. Has made me wonder about TSLA as an investment. Still HODL-ing but this his behavior has revealed more risk in the investment than I had previously factored in.

The issue is he dismantled all of your points quite well and instead of facing that you're putting him on ignore so you don't have to see it anymore.
I could waste the day with endless arguments back and forth. Maybe I would even change my mind, I doubt it. But I have done that lesson in futility so many times before so have gotten an intuition for when I face someone who wants to win an argument rather than reach a mutual increase in understanding. And I need to be economical with my time, so sometime I will just have to give up some argumentations, even if it will look like I am losing because I don’t have the facts or arguments on my side. As I believe many of the centrists people are doing now, they give up trying to reason, they move to some other state etc. I am happy that Elon has the energy and power to take the debate, because most of us are too lazy or not powerful enough to do it.

Why did he violate the Alameda county health order?

Also, who is he to decide only family gatherings are risky? What about working side by side in a production line?
I guess you could ask this about every far left politician including your beloved governor. They all acted as “do as I say not as I do”. Please,don’t pin this one on just Elon. Come on now.

Elon Musk reminds me more of Trump with every tweet. Just an endless fount of poorly informed drivel, nonsense, bullying, juvenile humor and foolishness. Love the car, not the man.

In the last couple of days, this is what I have thought about. What makes Elon behave like this?

What deep seated, unmet need in him makes him essentially unsatisfied in life? Or even, unhappy?

The CDC link showed a decrease in deaths on the last data point (one point != trend so I didn't mention it). Here's the graph he didn't have:
View attachment 799208
More to Elon's data exposure: Giga Shanghai had reopened Feb 10th after what I think was a one to two week shutdown.

But that's rehashing the same stuff from the Covid thread. My point was that you used convenient sound bites instead of full quotes.

It's not a very good point given when you add the rest of the quote it looks even worse.

As even you admit, there was no trend to follow.

He was directly responding to a story about China claiming they had 0 new cases. Which was not only a lie, they spent the next 2+ years refusing to admit a single additional person in the entire nation had died from it.

Given Elon was CEO of a company with major operations there, he surely had some idea China was lying about this too.

Nor does "there was a single week with lower deaths in the US" do anything to get anyone to a "trend shows 0 new cases soon" conclusion.

He tossed out a bunch of baseless non-scientific claims is what happened.

He's doing it again right now regarding pharmaceuticals.

All geniuses have blind spots where they say/do/think ridiculous stuff... but given he also runs neuralink I'd prefer "basic medical science" wasn't one of them.

I could waste the day with endless arguments back and forth. Maybe I would even change my mind, I doubt it. But I have done that lesson in futility so many times before so have gotten an intuition for when I face someone who wants to win an argument rather than reach a mutual increase in understanding. And I need to be economical with my time, so sometime I will just have to give up some argumentations, even if it will look like I am losing because I don’t have the facts or arguments on my side. As I believe many of the centrists people are doing now, they give up trying to reason, they move to some other state etc. I am happy that Elon has the energy and power to take the debate, because most of us are too lazy or not powerful enough to do it.

You just wrote a small wall of text to explain why you didn't have time to write one sentence giving any specific example offering any evidence whatsoever behind a single now-debunked claim you made in the discussion.

Usually when someone wastes far more time telling people they don't have time to back up their claims than it'd take to back them up the message is pretty clear.

Reactions: Dave EV
I don't follow that guy - but Twitter wants to show me that tweet because it knows I'm interested in the Tesla "topic". Or for that matter, I don't follow Jr.
Yep, just another example of Twitter choosing dumb posts to show you.

Both posts are good examples of click-bait posts designed to trigger people and increase drama. We need less drama in our lives, not more.

The drama isn't worth it.

Edit: LOL - why am I in this thread, again?

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and 2Pearls
Yep, just another example of Twitter choosing dumb posts to show you.

Both posts are good examples of click-bait posts designed to trigger people and increase drama. We need less drama in our lives, not more.

The drama isn't worth it.

Edit: LOL - why am I in this thread, again?
I don't see why anyone reads Twitter, Facebook, etc. It's all just a bunch of random stuff picked by an algorithm designed to trigger you. Nothing really informative or insightful. Really a waste of time.

Elon, Twitter is not the town square – it’s just a private shop. The square belongs to us all | John Naughton

Musk suffers from the delusion that “Twitter has become the de-facto town square”, which, frankly, is baloney. The internet, as Mike Masnick points out, is the metaphorical “town square”. Twitter is just one small private shop in that space – a shop in which hyperventilating elites, trolls, journalists and millions of bots hang out and fight with one another.

He also seems to have forgotten that Twitter operates outside the first-amendment-obsessed US – in Europe, for example. Last Tuesday, Thierry Breton, the EU’s commissioner for the internal market, warned that Twitter must follow European rules on moderating illegal and harmful content online, even after it goes private. “We welcome everyone,” said Breton. “We are open but on our conditions… ‘Elon, there are rules. You are welcome but these are our rules. It’s not your rules which will apply here.’” Since Musk seems temperamentally allergic to rules imposed by governmental agencies, Twitter under his command should have interesting challenges ahead in Europe.

As Reuters points out: “China could easily hold Tesla to ransom if a Musk-owned Twitter didn’t play ball.” It could, which is why one wonders if, in the end, Musk will just walk away from the acquisition. He’s a businessman, after all, and businessmen supposedly believe in the primacy of markets. He embarked on this venture thinking that the rules of free speech are just another asset available for purchase in the “marketplace of ideas”. With a bit of luck, he will come to the conclusion that the price is much higher than he envisaged. In which case, those of us who believe that those rules should be determined by democratic institutions can breathe again.

Reactions: Dave EV
I’m very surprised that our society has gotten to the point where being “obsessed” with free speech is a right wing ideal. There has never been any argument that I have heard advocating for moderated speech that makes any sense to me. And I wonder if any of those advocating for moderated speech would agree with the speech a republican White House would want to moderate.

Wait till Starlink becomes more widely available globally!

Think of all the new people that have no experience whatsoever with the Internet, outside the USA, suddenly getting access to Twitter!

• Funny
Reactions: Nrvna76
Status
Not open for further replies.