Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good advice! That's what I'll do as soon as the SP recovers from the damage his Twitter-lust has caused.
Once we are back above 1100 I am out.
That will probably happen only after this saga ends one way or another (probably by him paying out far more than that cesspool is worth).

Each to his own.

With 50% YoY growth predicted for the next 3-4 years . . . I hope you are talking about 1100 AFTER the split and not before. I would be curious what you would invest in with returns expected as close to TSLA.

Elon is an eccentric genius, this behavior, for better or worse, is not that far out of line. For those of us that understand this, these things are just part of the ride.

Honestly, if I could invest in TWTR post-acquisition, I would. I think his vision for it (a wechat competitor) is great and will drive a lot of revenue to the business in 2-3 years (not immediately).

Hey, so apparently there are investment fund vehicles available for people to do-invest alongside Elon if this purchase does go through. Minimum investment being at least $250K. I’m tempted to at least think about it, since Elon obviously has a big vision for Twitter that includes online payments. It would be a rare way to own part of a company that Elon controls.

Interesting. Can you share some of these?

Whoopty-doo!

Circumstances change, plans change.

They are HIS SHARES, he can sell them when and how he wants (within the guidelines of insider trading rules dictated by the SEC and Tesla Board).

Some billionaires sell to buy yachts, houses/properties, etc. Elon wants Twitter. His money, so he can have it.

If you don't like the ride, get off the boat and sell any TSLA you might have.
Funnily enough, I don’t get to stand in front of a shareholder meeting a day or two before I sell my TSLA shares :D A perfect ruse!

No-one is going to care in the slightest what I would do, sorry to break it to you…

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3
I think an interesting outcome could be agreeing to buy at the current price, however, a substantial amount of funds should be held in escrow (say half of purchase price for 90 days) so that Elon can either prove wrong doing or if no issue, then escrow money is released. I'm assuming Elon does get full/raw/unfettered access to the data (assuming they don't delete it, lose it or never collected/stored it in the first place) and can publicly (with peer review) demonstrate a demonstrably higher percentage of bot activity.

This could be a good outcome for the Chancery court and all parties. However, if Elon does find the bot percentage is materially higher, wouldn't that invoke SEC fraud? Let's say he does find data to prove say >30% bots, does that mean the SEC could force Twitter to pay damages?

If I was going to invest in Twitter alongside Elon, that would greatly worry me. If I got access, found material wrongdoing, I wouldn't want to be held accountable.

I think an interesting outcome could be agreeing to buy at the current price, however, a substantial amount of funds should be held in escrow (say half of purchase price for 90 days) so that Elon can either prove wrong doing or if no issue, then escrow money is released. I'm assuming Elon does get full/raw/unfettered access to the data (assuming they don't delete it, lose it or never collected/stored it in the first place) and can publicly (with peer review) demonstrate a demonstrably higher percentage of bot activity.

This could be a good outcome for the Chancery court and all parties. However, if Elon does find the bot percentage is materially higher, wouldn't that invoke SEC fraud? Let's say he does find data to prove say >30% bots, does that mean the SEC could force Twitter to pay damages?

If I was going to invest in Twitter alongside Elon, that would greatly worry me. If I got access, found material wrongdoing, I wouldn't want to be held accountable.
Why would Twitter agree to this? They certainly don't trust Musk to give an unbiased estimate of bot percentage.

However, if Elon does find the bot percentage is materially higher,
I assume you mean a % of mDAU. Seems extremely unlikely that he would find anything different than Twitter did though, doesn’t it? Of course, he’ll probably say otherwise, lol.

I don’t think money being held in escrow will be ordered by the courts, given Elon has already agreed to purchase Twitter at the $54.20 price without any such conditions.

I really didn’t want Elon to purchase Twitter, because I thought it was potentially dangerous to the nation, but as time goes by I am getting more comfortable with it. It’ll probably be ok, even if he is a bit insufferable. I’m very curious how he is going to make money off of it. Getting rid of bots seems tough though; I doubt he will be able to do that without structural changes to Twitter.

In the end I expect him to make out ok though.

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
I assume you mean a % of mDAU. Seems extremely unlikely that he would find anything different than Twitter did though, doesn’t it? Of course, he’ll probably say otherwise, lol.

I don’t think money being held in escrow will be ordered by the courts, given Elon has already agreed to purchase Twitter at the $54.20 price without any such conditions.

I really didn’t want Elon to purchase Twitter, because I thought it was potentially dangerous to the nation, but as time goes by I am getting more comfortable with it. It’ll probably be ok, even if he is a bit insufferable. I’m very curious how he is going to make money off of it. Getting rid of bots seems tough though; I doubt he will be able to do that without structural changes to Twitter.

In the end I expect him to make out ok though.
I’m sure Elon already has big plans for Twitter.....mining digital currency springs to mind

Since Elon has raised free speech issues with Twitter, thought I’d drop this here. Twitter may ban anyone it likes BUT if the federal government asks Twitter to ban someone, then Twitter becomes a state actor and that action would be in violation of the first amendment. And, of course, evidence is now coming out showing that’s exactly what the government did last year.

Since Elon has raised free speech issues with Twitter, thought I’d drop this here. Twitter may ban anyone it likes BUT if the federal government asks Twitter to ban someone, then Twitter becomes a state actor and that action would be in violation of the first amendment. And, of course, evidence is now coming out showing that’s exactly what the government did last year.

Yeah, I think we're going to need some references to the actual cases where companies have been found to be "state actors". Alex Berenson is not someone I trust to provide accurate information.

Not a violation:
@PrivateCitizun:Hey Twitter, this dude sucks. Ban him!
@Twitter: You're right, we'll do that.

@USPrez: Hey Twitter, this dude sucks. Ban him!

Violation by the government:
@USPrez: Hey Twitter, this dude sucks. Ban him or we'll take you down!
@Twitter: OK, OK, we'll ban him.

Yeah, I think we're going to need some references to the actual cases where companies have been found to be "state actors". Alex Berenson is not someone I trust to provide accurate information.
I did some searching and it's not an implausible case to make if executive branch (also bound by first ammendment) causes private company (thus state actor) to silence someone. Didn't find any directly related cases though.
Not a violation:
@PrivateCitizun:Hey Twitter, this dude sucks. Ban him!

@USPrez: Hey Twitter, this dude sucks. Ban him!

Violation by the government:
@USPrez: Hey Twitter, this dude sucks. Ban him or we'll take you down!
@Twitter: OK, OK, we'll ban him.
I think your case #2 may also be a violation.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
1) Take Twitter private - insulation from enemies
2) Subscription model, eliminate advertising
3) Verifiable identities, bot eradication
4) Understandable, transparent allowable behavior algorithms.
1) How so?
2) And most users. What social media site charges users and is ad free?
3) Also eliminating a large number of users. I'm not giving my real identity to Twitter or any social media site.
4) "Free speech absolutist" means it will probably turn into a cesspool as with other such sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.