Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$1B > ~$300M

This is when true friends are determined.

Actually need to update, I am at 290Wh/mi now. It’s a very good result.

I am still on my original PS4S after 43k miles, probably 30% treadlife left. But I have two other sets of tires so wear has been distributed. Did use those PS4S for autocross once though so that contributed a decent portion of the wear.

Accelerating and braking is where you wear the tires and that (other than actual braking, which of course no one does) has relatively little impact on efficiency. So you can have good efficiency and terrible wear if you try, or you can have very poor efficiency and low wear. I am somewhere in the middle. Also a lot of 300Wh/mi freeway driving for me; nothing to be done about that.
I was kidding, earlier. I didnt notice that you had the perf model.

I used to drive very fast in my S60 when new. My first tires went after 15K miles. Since then, I’m more grandma, but still manage to replace tires every 25K. 😄 However, I don’t like to launch my car at every start. Or maybe Tesla has gotten me used to a new reality where jackrabbit starts are normal. 😏 EDIT: my lifetime average in my 3 is just 235 Wh / mile. Most days it is 220.

I am amazed your tires have lasted more than 43K miles.

Back to the original programming.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
EDIT: my lifetime average in my 3 is just 235 Wh / mile. Most days it is 220.
You have RWD which makes this easy.
I am amazed your tires have lasted more than 43K miles.
Distributed wear across three sets of tires. So not that impressive.

I do try to avoid scrabbling those tires on the pavement like Elon trying to get out of the Twitter deal, though. (Best I can come up with to stay on topic. )

I am still on my original PS4S after 43k miles, probably 30% treadlife left. But I have two other sets of tires so wear has been distributed. Did use those PS4S for autocross once though so that contributed a decent portion of the wear.

Accelerating and braking is where you wear the tires and that (other than actual braking, which of course no one does) has relatively little impact on efficiency. So you can have good efficiency and terrible wear if you try, or you can have very poor efficiency and low wear. I am somewhere in the middle. Also a lot of 300Wh/mi freeway driving for me; nothing to be done about that.

I'm basically Mad Max then. 365Wh/mi on my P3D. Granted, I have larger rear tires now with 275/30s on the rear. Same tires as you PS4Ss.

• Funny
Reactions: chiller and ohmman
Now that twitter purchase seems a done deal, I just want to share my $0.02 as a TSLA shareholder.

The purchase, although not exactly the most popular thing among here is super significant.

Think of how and why Jeff Bezos bought WaPo, it’s all about narrative influence. With Elon at helm att Twitter, you can bet the narrative would stay more center rather than left or right. And that already changes a lot.

Many people nowadays are easily influenced when it comes to important decisions. Many turned to a more progressive or extreme left (or right) because their point of information is heavily skewed toward a certain direction.

With the ability to more or less adjust the flow of information, Elon has become a giant that even Bezos can only dream of.

It might sound a bit devilish. But I think it’s time for someone to keep a perspective instead of opinion bias of certain parties or group of people.

Now that twitter purchase seems a done deal, I just want to share my $0.02 as a TSLA shareholder.

The purchase, although not exactly the most popular thing among here is super significant.

Think of how and why Jeff Bezos bought WaPo, it’s all about narrative influence. With Elon at helm att Twitter, you can bet the narrative would stay more center rather than left or right. And that already changes a lot.

Many people nowadays are easily influenced when it comes to important decisions. Many turned to a more progressive or extreme left (or right) because their point of information is heavily skewed toward a certain direction.

With the ability to more or less adjust the flow of information, Elon has become a giant that even Bezos can only dream of.

It might sound a bit devilish. But I think it’s time for someone to keep a perspective instead of opinion bias of certain parties or group of people.
Wasn't taking steps to eliminate various forms of narrative influence the repeatedly stated purpose of buying Twitter?

Slightly off topic, other than the overhang lifting- but funny nonetheless:
Also quite the interesting tidbit from Karen about the media ignoring the Wright brothers first flights. My father grew up in Dayton OH, and his father worked at Wright Patterson AFB. I was raised on stories of the Wright brothers bicycle shop and their early experiments in aeronautics, yet somehow this information had eluded me. Fascinating.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: elasalle
Wasn't taking steps to eliminate various forms of narrative influence the repeatedly stated purpose of buying Twitter?
Ironically, the ultimate way to keep narrative freedom is to impose a narrative influence in place. :D

Either way, I just wanted to continue with my post on Twitter's purchase. I was typing on my phone while waiting for kiddo to finish his class and let's just say that as a person reaching the 40s, typing on the phone isn't my forte.

Elon has said many times that he wants X to be the everything app. And I believe many mentioned that he's taking WeChat as an inspiration.

For those who aren't familiar with how dominant WeChat is in Chinese citizen's life... I am going to give a few clues on what X is going to do if WeChat is the inspiration.

WeChat can connect directly to your bank account, acting as a payment solution that costs little to no fees. Not sure what US is doing, but Canada has recently allowed merchants to add fees to accept credit card to cover the CC fees. And to be honest, there's absolutely no reason for credit card to charge any fees to process payment as the actual transactional cost via network is little to nothing.

So, I'm going to guess that X is going to do a revival with what it originally did, but sans credit card companies and instead a credit system of their own (working with banks, just like how it's your bank who issues you your CC), or simply acting as an e-wallet. But it's more than that. WeChat, and consequently X, as it's taking inspiration, allows certain API access to facilitate everything from subscription, user account, payment, business card transfer, IDs... and everything you can imagine that goes into your wallet. And this is what I truly believe where the "everything app" comes from.

Many might think, where does X make money then? It's still data. Think how Google and Meta make "guesses" with your browsing history and online behavior, X will have a direct access on consumption data. Given enough data, X can get to the source of what you actually spend your money on. No more guesses or whatever, but a direct look at how, where, and how much you spend on anything.

Then, given access on what you get connected with, as X would basically serves as your digital passport on the WWW, combined with your spending data, X can probably know you better than your mom does.

Edit: misclicked on post before finishing...

And where does Tesla tie into all this? X gets all the data (soft), TSLA does all the manufacturing (hard)... they will be able to come up with products that entice to more customers than those customers even realize.

• Informative
Reactions: 2daMoon
Ironically, the ultimate way to keep narrative freedom is to impose a narrative influence in place. :D

Either way, I just wanted to continue with my post on Twitter's purchase. I was typing on my phone while waiting for kiddo to finish his class and let's just say that as a person reaching the 40s, typing on the phone isn't my forte.

Elon has said many times that he wants X to be the everything app. And I believe many mentioned that he's taking WeChat as an inspiration.

For those who aren't familiar with how dominant WeChat is in Chinese citizen's life... I am going to give a few clues on what X is going to do if WeChat is the inspiration.

WeChat can connect directly to your bank account, acting as a payment solution that costs little to no fees. Not sure what US is doing, but Canada has recently allowed merchants to add fees to accept credit card to cover the CC fees. And to be honest, there's absolutely no reason for credit card to charge any fees to process payment as the actual transactional cost via network is little to nothing.

So, I'm going to guess that X is going to do a revival with what it originally did, but sans credit card companies and instead a credit system of their own (working with banks, just like how it's your bank who issues you your CC), or simply acting as an e-wallet. But it's more than that. WeChat, and consequently X, as it's taking inspiration, allows certain API access to facilitate everything from subscription, user account, payment, business card transfer, IDs... and everything you can imagine that goes into your wallet. And this is what I truly believe where the "everything app" comes from.

Many might think, where does X make money then? It's still data. Think how Google and Meta make "guesses" with your browsing history and online behavior, X will have a direct access on consumption data. Given enough data, X can get to the source of what you actually spend your money on. No more guesses or whatever, but a direct look at how, where, and how much you spend on anything.

Then, given access on what you get connected with, as X would basically serves as your digital passport on the WWW, combined with your spending data, X can probably know you better than your mom does.

Edit: misclicked on post before finishing...

And where does Tesla tie into all this? X gets all the data (soft), TSLA does all the manufacturing (hard)... they will be able to come up with products that entice to more customers than those customers even realize.
Isn't what Apple Pay and Google Pay already do? I use Apple Pay extensively now.

Elon statement to advertisers
I wanted to reach out personally to share my motivation in acquiring Twitter. There has been much speculation about why bought Twitter and what think about advertising. Most of it has been wrong.

The reason I acquired Twitter is because it is important to the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner, without resorting to violence. There is currently great danger that social media will splinter into far right wing and far left wing echo chambers that generate more hate and divide our society.

In the relentless pursuit of clicks, much of traditional media has fueled and catered to those polarized extremes, as they believe that is what brings in the money, but, in doing so, the opportunity for dialogue is lost.

That is why bought Twitter. I didn't do it because it would be easy. I didn't do it to make more money. I did it to try to help humanity, whom I love. And I do so with humility, recognizing that failure in pursuing this goal, despite our best efforts, is a very real possibility.

That said, Twitter obviously cannot become a free-for-all hellscape, where anything can be said with no consequences! In addition to adhering to the laws of the land, our platform must be warm and welcoming to all, where you can choose your desired experience according to your preferences, just as you can choose, for example, to see movies or play video games ranging from all ages to mature.

I also very much believe that advertising, when done right, can delight, entertain and inform you; it can show you a service or product or medical treatment that you never knew existed, but is right for you. For this to be true, it is essential to show Twitter users advertising that is as relevant as possible to their needs. Low relevancy ads are spam, but highly relevant ads are actually content!

Fundamentally, Twitter aspires to be the most respected advertising platform in the world that strengthens your brand and grows your enterprise. To everyone who has partnered with us, I thank you. Let us build something extraordinary together.

Status
Not open for further replies.