Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wishful thinking here, but Elon owning Twitter may turn out to be a net positive for Tesla investors. There apparently was no real constraint on him to not post stupid chit on Twitter, but now he will be beholden to advertisers to ensure he can recoup the high purchase cost.

I don’t know … he seems to be happy to link to QAnon type conspiracies. Who is going to fact check that ?

I don’t know … he seems to be happy to link to QAnon type conspiracies. Who is going to fact check that ?

In my mind the turning point would be his visit to NYC on 1 Nov (if I remember correctly) where most of his focus was on the advertising vs technical side. This was when it was reported that some ad agencies and GM (General Marketing) decided to postpone their Twitter ad campaigns.

Of course this is all wishful thinking...he has proven me naive multiple times in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: advocate8
Not sure that I follow you, @STS-134 .
If Tesla needs a permit for anything at the Shanghai factory and the CCP wants its critics gone from Twitter, what do you think is going to happen? If they want their own propaganda posts elevated, what do you think is going to happen?

It might not be something as obvious as "get our critics off of Twitter". It could be something less obvious like "make sure our critics' posts don't show up in people's feeds"...and "we want people who retweet our propaganda to get triple the attention per retweet".

Last edited:
In my mind the turning point would be his visit to NYC on 1 Nov (if I remember correctly) where most of their focus is on the advertising vs technical side. This was when it was reported that some ad agencies and GM (General Marketing) decided to postpone their Twitter ad campaigns.

Of course this is all wishful thinking...he has proven me naive multiple times in the past.
If anything, he should ban GM from advertising on his platform since they are direct competitor to Tesla which is another company of his.

“You don’t quit because I’m firing you!”

I don't understand why is this happening. My Tweeter feed looks the same as before Elon took over. The first company to stop ads was GM IIRC.
well... twitter is directly owned by Elon and any check GM cuts for advertisement goes to a company owned by Elon. Many corporations have the habit of not supporting a direct competitor. If Mercedes would own Pirelli ... I doubt BMW would be buying Pirelli tires...

He’s already been taken to the woodshed on that one. If he continues to post like that, then I’ll say he hasn’t learned his lesson. But for right now the jury is still out.

Elon has been visiting that same woodshed for his Twitter posts for years, with no sign of it affecting his behavior going forward.

Wishful thinking here, but Elon owning Twitter may turn out to be a net positive for Tesla investors. There apparently was no real constraint on him to not post stupid chit on Twitter, but now he will be beholden to advertisers to ensure he can recoup the high purchase cost.

I doubt it for all the same reasons that people have posted already. It's like pushing the same button over and over again and expecting a different result.

Even if so, don't most people here want Elon spending more time working on Tesla and less time working on Twitter? How is he supposed to do that if he's personally overseeing projects at Twitter?

Zero surprises here.

Twitter uses AWS for a lot of services, I wonder how much this will impact AMZN's quarterly numbers.

We do know if you are work-from-home your odds are much worse, as Elon clearly stated that will stop. So those people in the WFH group probably know their status already.
I wonder if they were already given an option (this week) to return. Some WFH employees probably have other protections that would be a concern for immediate layoffs.

I’ll be unsurprised if if is close to 50%. Labor expense is huge.

My big problem with Elon is that when the Fremont factory was shut down in 2020, when we didn't have vaccines or any other way to manage SARS-CoV-2, the vast majority of the local people were on the side of the Alameda County Health Department and Elon was regarded as an asshole. But in Shanghai right now, the vast majority of people are against zero COVID so Elon would be regarded as a hero. And regardless of how you personally feel about COVID protocols, if Alameda County's restrictions are so ridiculous they require a standoff with the Sheriff's office, then Shanghai's require a standoff at least 5-10 times as big. But we don't hear a peep out of Elon about those.

really?
because it’s china!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke

Zero surprises here.

Twitter uses AWS for a lot of services, I wonder how much this will impact AMZN's quarterly numbers.
Lol. So for $8 / month the risk of outages are also sharply increasing with reduced server capacity to be there during peak traffic demand days… sounds like a brilliant concept. Charge more, cut server capacity and 1/2 the staff… growth business !

Status
Not open for further replies.