Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not the primary reason.
The reasons are many. If Elon heard that interview with Tim Pool, Vijaya Gadde, and Jack Dorsey on the JRE podcast 3 years ago, the seed could have been planted then. Elon was bullied a lot as a kid. I wouldn't put it past him to have purchased Twitter JUST to fire Vijaya and others on the way to fixing the platform and 'freeing the bird'.

I was just sitting around doing nothing and an idea popped into my head. After Elon sacked so many Twitter employees, did his zeal create a feeling that tech sector staffing levels were universally bloated? Sure, the macroeconomic conditions are a great excuse for layoffs, but maybe Amazon, Meta and even small players like Global Foundries are partly cutting the "fat" because Twitter started a trend. The good news is that maybe all these high profile layoffs will influence the Fed.

Many of these companies were in hiring freezes before Elon bought Twitter. Some had even done layoffs.

And yes, I'm hoping the Fed takes notice of the tech sectors rapidly changing labor dynamic.

The good news is that maybe all these high profile layoffs will influence the Fed.
I think these layoffs are precisely what the Fed has been gunning for, in order to tamp down inflation. Employment growth has been a major factor. But yes, maybe they’ll slow their rate hikes.

I like how you left out the part where they basically told him to piss off and that they wouldn’t sell it to him for all the cheese in the moon.
See - you identified the real 4D chess.

Look, I do understand that there are different styles in management. Many CEOs, even American ones ( :) ), wouldn't immediately fire someone over that. Many would though, it isn't out of the norm.

Also be aware that Elon is under fire from all directions, and allowing employees who criticize him publicly to stay employed there is just asking for more disgruntled employees to also speak up. The public firing was just as important as the firing part.

Not to forget the added entertainment value - for those willing to look, this is the BEST real time *real* reality show (that's actually a real business firing on all cylinders publicly). And *anybody* can witness/ participate too.

Huge added value to Twitter 2.0

A good guy? He sounds like an absolute baby begging to be fired. I would NEVER talk to my boss like that in public. It's funny how people interpret things differently.

If it were me, I'd have a rational conversation with my boss and also make a private query but I wouldn't try to 'own' or 'destroy' him when he's already under fire from all directions (from the Left especially).

That programmer showed a remarkable level of public contempt for Elon and he got what was coming to him.
Others were telling him to take it offline but he declined saying he enjoyed sharing his work with others online. Hopefully he enjoyed his 15 secs of fame.

If this is actually happening and it isn't Elon trolling, I expect to see Mr. Frohnhoefer continue to make fun of Elon. If he was actually fired, follow up tweet should say something along the lines of "The 1A does not protect employees from employers, only citizens from the government, but if @elonmusk were the government, this would have been a 1A violation. Firing me makes Elon a lot of things but one thing it does NOT make him is a free speech absolutist!"
To be accurate Elon didn't suppress his speech, he's still on Twitter last I knew.

Elon's termination hammer swings fast and strong. People at Twitter(or any of his companies) must believe in the path to success based off his vision. If you had the thought that Elon is coming in here to F things up because he doesn't know what he is doing, you better start dusting off that resume real quick.

Friend of mine is a former VP at Tesla. He would share stories with me of Elon just walking around the Fremont factory and pointing at people that he didn't think were putting in the effort, especially "management types" (not so much line workers) and fire them on the spot.

There is a principle, I don't recall the name, but it is something along the lines of . . . you increase your chances of success as a business by increasing employee turnover by not being afraid to fire and replace underperforming staff. I don't know if Elon subscribes to this business theory, but it might fit his actions.

Friend of mine is a former VP at Tesla. He would share stories with me of Elon just walking around the Fremont factory and pointing at people that he didn't think were putting in the effort, especially "management types" (not so much line workers) and fire them on the spot.

There is a principle, I don't recall the name, but it is something along the lines of . . . you increase your chances of success as a business by increasing employee turnover by not being afraid to fire and replace underperforming staff. I don't know if Elon subscribes to this business theory, but it might fit his actions.
“One bad apple ruins the bushel”?

Elon seems to be basing his actions off best available data. And if you disagree, you better have just as good data to back it up. He seems to get rid of people who argues based on feelings/biases/past experiences/speculation.

I've heard similar stories from people at Apple about Steve Jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.