Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. but he also tends to overplay the sense of impending doom to motivate himself and others.

So it may be possible that the Twitter financials are not as bad as he is implying or that the can find a way of turning them around.

Keeping it running should require less funds than buying it and sales can be spread out.

I agree he isn't walking away...

It must be a remarkable set of circumstances that has forced him to even take this step. He hasn’t had guardrails this entire time and is surrounded by sycophants. Wonder what did it?

The question now is if Elon's reputation can ever be salvaged after the way he's behaved at Twitter. And if Tesla can continue, can regain its positive glow, can thrive, with him at the helm.

I think the only way for this to happen is for Elon to see a doctor, to see if there is anything medically wrong with him (I keep feeling there might be something going on). If yes, hopefully easily fixable. In any case, take time off, see a therapist, take a long hard look at what he's done. Come back after a thoughtful and honest mea culpa. Perhaps as CTO.

I do not think any of this will happen. I think he'll just continue as usual at Tesla, except that he will drag the chaos into there, and no one will stop him.

The other side of the coin is that Elon is the one who made Tesla what it is, and we don't know if it can continue to be the most innovative and successful company in the world without him.

In other words, this disaster is not over.

I hope I'm wrong.

The policy seems contradictory. You can't link to prohibited 3rd-party social media platforms but in general you can.🤷‍♂️
Maybe it's just another tool Elon can use to suspend accounts that make him sad?
View attachment 886500
View attachment 886501
The key lies in this statement: "... we will remove any free PROMOTION of prohibited...."

There's a difference between Tweeting, "my latest experiences with FSDb are in this video <link to YouTube video>," vs. Tweeting "Come subscribe to my YouTube channel! YouTube is the greatest thing since sliced bread!"

One of those Tweets is nothing more than an advertisement, which should be paid for no matter what platform you're on; every social media site makes you pay for ads.

The key lies in this statement: "... we will remove any free PROMOTION of prohibited...."

There's a difference between Tweeting, "my latest experiences with FSDb are in this video <link to YouTube video>," vs. Tweeting "Come subscribe to my YouTube channel! YouTube is the greatest thing since sliced bread!"

One of those Tweets is nothing more than an advertisement, which should be paid for no matter what platform you're on; every social media site makes you pay for ads.
The policy and tweets are deleted now

It must be a remarkable set of circumstances that has forced him to even take this step. He hasn’t had guardrails this entire time and is surrounded by sycophants. Wonder what did it?
Fundamentally Elon's formula has worked well in the past, move fast have a small motived team and a clear mission, make a lot of the calls.

What is different this time seem to be the glare of the public spot light, every mistake is highlighted rather than being something which happens behind closed doors, And the "human interaction" side is a bigger part of the business and more challenging.

Elon just has to recognise when he is better off consulting others before making decisions and proceeding more carefully.

Part of the rush is the need to turn Twitter financials around, he has been there before just not with the public glare and "human interaction" challenges.

I think he has recognised the need for a manger as he is starting to annoy and offend people that he doesn't want to annoy and offend. Before he just assumed he was offending people he intended to offend. That is my tentative read.

Fundamentally Elon's formula has worked well in the past, move fast have a small motived team and a clear mission, make a lot of the calls.

What is different this time seem to be the glare of the public spot light, every mistake is highlighted rather than being something which happens behind closed doors, And the "human interaction" side is a bigger part of the business and more challenging.

Elon just has to recognise when he is better off consulting others before making decisions and proceeding more carefully.

Part of the rush is the need to turn Twitter financials around, he has been there before just not with the public glare and "human interaction" challenges.

I think he has recognised the need for a manger as he is starting to annoy and offend people that he doesn't want to annoy and offend. Before he just assumed he was offending people he intended to offend. That is my tentative read.
He doesn’t get, that he can reduce at least 50% of his annoyance to others by simply…shutting up.

Remember when his tweets were 99% about spacex and Tesla technical progress? He was FAR more liked then

In practice it’s not easy to figure out what is a promotion. People work around whatever is being blocked. It’s like Spam control.

But that is not how it started, anyway. Elon was angry people were advertising their handle on other social sites.

He doesn’t get, that he can reduce at least 50% of his annoyance to others by simply…shutting up.

Remember when his tweets were 99% about spacex and Tesla technical progress? He was FAR more liked then
He'd do best as CTO of both Tesla and SpaceX, with CEOs to reign in his worse impulses, and an employment contract that prohibits him from tweeting or otherwise saying anything publicly that doesn't have to do with the technology he's working on.

SNL Elon was his peak popularity where almost everyone loved him independent of political affiliation.

Now even a significant amount of TMC despises him.

No one ever saw that coming. Surely his approval rating here would have been in the high 90's prior to November.

As many of us suspected, Elon lied about ElonJet causing a stalker incident, used it as an excuse to ban accounts, and why Taylor Lorenz was banned so swiftly before the article was out.

To be fair - I think plausible concern over human safety is a perfectly good reason to delete tweets.

But this is the guy who DEMANDED we make Free Speech an absolute priority - even when it involved horribly crap that everyone agreed was worth banning.

The question now is if Elon's reputation can ever be salvaged after the way he's behaved at Twitter. And if Tesla can continue, can regain its positive glow, can thrive, with him at the helm.

I think the only way for this to happen is for Elon to see a doctor, to see if there is anything medically wrong with him (I keep feeling there might be something going on). If yes, hopefully easily fixable. In any case, take time off, see a therapist, take a long hard look at what he's done. Come back after a thoughtful and honest mea culpa. Perhaps as CTO.

I do not think any of this will happen. I think he'll just continue as usual at Tesla, except that he will drag the chaos into there, and no one will stop him.

The other side of the coin is that Elon is the one who made Tesla what it is, and we don't know if it can continue to be the most innovative and successful company in the world without him.

In other words, this disaster is not over.

I hope I'm wrong.

Fair question, and I think the "Tiger Woods" metric applies.

Elon has utterly destroyed his pubilc image and done permanent damage to all brands he's associated with.

His only rational course of action is to go Tiger Woods - SHUT UP, act humble. STOP the activity that brought the shame, focus on your sport - or in this case your core engineering strengths. Go make the Cyber Truck amazing. The Semi truck. Go launch StarShip to the moon and to Mars. NEVER EVER revisit your pubilc stupidity other than to very generally accept ownership of past bad decisions.

And in 3 years, you get to start a new chapter. With fans, who have crossed the magic "Tiger Woods" public memory boundary

The policy and tweets are deleted now
Yep, looks entire policy had been deleted just recently. This link worked a few hours ago:
https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/social-platforms-policy

Shows how poorly thought out it was, not only in terms of normal expected functionality of social media (I posted up thread all the other platforms allow you to promote your accounts on other platforms), but also the legal problems (anti-competitive behavior, which some regions like EU have a lot of restrictions on).

I created a twitter account just to get him out of Hyde-mode at Twitter

Maybe the poll is to get people to create Twitter accounts? I don't care if he stays or leaves and am not going to vote since I don't even have a Twitter account and I'm not creating one.

How will I get to eat popcorn if he leaves Twitter though? Tell me that!

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Status
Not open for further replies.